THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    If you could hunt whitetail in any state but yours?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could hunt whitetail in any state but yours?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted
I have been thinking and looking into hunting deer in several other states lately and it got me to wondering what appeals to other guys out there.

If you could choose to hunt whitetails in another state but your own which one would you choose and why?

For me I live and hunt in the big woods of Northern Minnesota but if I could hunt whitetails anywhere else I would love to give Montana a try. It seems to me some mountainous terrain would really thicken the plot while chasing a big boy.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt Wisconsin, and Missouri, just because they're close. Used to hunt Texas, when my oldest daughter lived there. Once in a while i still go to pennsylvania, and hunt with my brother. Haven't the last few years, as he is sorting out some knee and hip problems, hopefully he will have that behind him next year.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to go to Kansas on a whitetail hunt.

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Kansas.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MN Hunter:
which one would you choose and why?

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to hunt anywhere for whitetails but Wisconsin, but if I HAD to I might pick northern Minn or the UP. I hunt southern Wisconsin farmland now, which has a lot of deer, but I grew up hunting in the northern woods, which I miss sometimes.

Posts: 570 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. Which state do I guess is the best overall for deer? I suppose Texas. But which state would I most want to hunt in?

Sorry, but I can't do an answer that way. It wouldn't depend on the state in the least. It'd depend on which particular farm property I can get an invite to hunt on with real good bucks and hardly any other hunters.

There's this place in east Arkansas where I've duck hunted. There're not many deer in the county. It's a waterfowling area with vast rice and bean fields and few woods. What woods there are look from a distance like isolated islands out in the middle of these endless flat laser levelled flooded fields. But, on this one place (and others like it) no one but the farmer's immediate family is allowed to hunt and the bucks there have truly impressive racks. I've seen them hanging in the farm machine shop. Seems it's handgun or muzzleloader hunting, because rifle hunting isn't allowed in the county and the season is so short it's opened and closed before you know it.

Someone I know found a more or less similar set up in Wisconsin and went up there and killed an enormous buck. Special invitation hunt.

Anyway, something like those are my idea of where to hunt. What state doesn't matter. But for anyone trying to choose the state first then the spot, like I said, Texas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is this spot in montanna where they should all be muleys but there are these big big whitetails there, just nobody really goes after them. Eeker and no i'm not telling Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go to Montana too.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'd go to Wyoming. While I dearly love my native Texas, Wyoming -- to me, at least -- is heaven on earth.

No, it isn't renown for whopper whitetails, but antler measurements have nothing to do with what constitutes a trophy -- again, in my opinion.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9368 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I already hunt Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska every year, so I would have to say probably North or South Dakota. I would love to really go out on the plains and see that country better on foot.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are leaving out the best one. Eastern Colorado! Although Kansas is pretty darn good too!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iowa Big bucks, not too many hunters

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Georgia with out a doubt. That is where I went to college and I have many pleasant memories of hunting there. Ohio would be second choice. I have a very good friend there. He is also a hunter.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
For me, it would be a bow hunt in Montana on the Milk River.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wisconsin!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
montana

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had to hunt whitetails somewhere other than WI, I guess I would pick Montana.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Interesting question. ... Texas.
Gotta agree with Shack. I've had some contact with various operations in Texas, but have yet to be able to get it all "time-wise" coordinated. Started looking at them in the early `70s, but some disaster ALWAYS pops up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to try Texas.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
if you're restricting this to "regular" whitetail and in the US, Iowa or Kansas

if you're leaving it open to outside the US - Saskatchewan

if you leave things open to include Coues' Deer, I'd rather hunt them in the wide open spaces of Arizona or Sonora on a glass/spot/stalk hunt than just about any sit in a blind/deer stand hunt for "regular" whitetail . . .

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I already hunt in the best whitetail state there is fishing so I shouldn't need to try another state......

O.K. I'll play......South East Kansas

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Dakota and Montana both have great potential in the right areas.

Posts: 519 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I've been fortunate enough to hunt MT the last 5 years in a row and killed some nice whiteys, I guess I'd have to say Iowa or Kansas now.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pa. My son, and I have taken some nice bucks there. Which is nice. But, more important is being in camp with your friends that you have hunted with for several years. We get along great with the "Locals", and it is always good when they come to camp to visit. We also enjoy going to the Gun shops in the area. It is always interesting to see some of the old guns available for sale that have come out of the area.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My goal is a 24" inside spread 12 point. Don't care where it comes from. I'll bet his score will be just fine.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

... but antler measurements have nothing to do with what constitutes a trophy -- again, in my opinion.

We share the same opinion; well said.

As far as my choice, I'm going to say Idaho. Which is good, since I'll be going next year. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote