THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Some back ground relating to Wis. Shooting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Some back ground relating to Wis. Shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You two done scrapping yet???

GV

You forgot the "I have permission on both sides and I'm just taking a short-cut across your land, hope you don't mind."

I never personally owned land in what I call "Up North" but a lot of my relatives do/did. I come from the Brunet, Oberding, King, Sheehan, Langlois, Hamilton, etc, etc lines. If it's up there in the Spooner, Shell Lake, Rice Lake, Hayward, Springbrook, Bruce, etc, etc, they've tromped on it. I did have a little over 110 acres in Pepin/Eau Claire counties and have since sold it to my sisters family.

I hear/heard a lot of stories and seen both sides. Some folks willing to let other treat their land as their own and then conversly some that fence and "post" like the neighbors are gonna steal it. Each does what they feel is correct and warranted and I can understand both sides. (I had an easment across my land for the fella on the back side and one day he put up a gate on my land and locked it!! Said he owned the easment and that I'd need to find another way onto my own land??? I thanked him for the new gate and in a few days it was gone...I'm sure he'd have left it had I not confronted him. He also cut the ends off a few pine rows so he could transit his fence line on my side of the fence... the pines were in his way.)

Anyway... I've been treated well and poorly depending on the circumstances of the meeting and the immediate disposition/mood of the greeter. I've seen folks "post" public land "Up North" and others allow hunting on their own as if it were public. (Never mind the tax bracket stuff if that's still an issue on public use of private land up there.) I've had one deer claimed by another hunter "Up North", he said he saw it on his land before it crossed onto public where I shot it. He also had a nice corn pile and stand setup on the public land... I believe it was over on old 70, north of Ladysmith.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes everybody who vacations here thinks its a great place to live.

So they move up here then the reasons its a great place are no longer.

The same people who move to the country because it is country are the cause of it not being country any more.

They demand better roads,better schools,better law enforcement just like they had in the city. The once gravel roads that one could hunt grouse off of are black topped the 40's are now devided into lots. One can no longer shoot out his back door with out some body complaining.

You say you remember when one could hunt where one wanted to, you say that changed. You say the lost of hunting in the south caused you to come north.

So you bring with you the same attitude that caused you to go some place else. So how long before this country is like the area you left.

No you say I have my little peice of it.

So move up here with every body else they need the neigbors it get mighty lonely in the woods when you can not see their yard lights from your house.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
So you bring with you the same attitude that caused you to go some place else.

p dog shooter

Although you don't know grandview, I do. In fact, I grew up with him and hunted the same areas he did. Yes, back in the sixties we walked out the door and started hunting just as you describe. I don't remember seeing a no trespassing sign in those days. I hunted where I wanted to and shared in the success with those whose land I hunted on. I also helped with the farming duties with some if they needed help. It was the finest neighborhood you could have asked for. Everyone helped out each other and life was very good. Then, parcels of land started being sold to new buyers just as grandview related in his post. I moved away to North Idaho and he decided to start hunting up in Northern Wisconsin. I do feel that you are being a bit harsh in judging his motives. He is trying to move to an area where things are a bit more like where he grew up in. He mentioned getting along with his neighbors and that is a throwback to when we grew up. I don't think for a moment he wants to change the area that he is moving in to, but he does want people to respect his property, and not just feel free to walk all over it anytime without doing anything in return for that privilege. And belive me it is a privilege to be able to hunt on PRIVATE PROPERTY. You may disagree, but that is the way I see it. In short, nothing good will stay that way forever. Change will come.

As I said, I moved to North Idaho. You can rest assured that anytime people see something good it will become a habit, and that is what happened there. When I first came to Couer d' Alene there there was a couple of stoplights and a lot of undeveloped land around it. It was beautiful even if I do say so myself. There were six or seven saw mills running and the local economy was quite good. There was acres and acres of timberland to hunt and many times I could hunt all day and never see another hunter. But, it was too good to last. People who sold their homes for big money in other places moved there and slowly but surely things changed. Today there are a couple of sawmills still going and very little to remind you of what once was. It is now a resort town. The once great abundance of hunting land has become more crowded and you can't be sure you are alone in the woods anymore. In short, nothing good will stay that way forever. Change will come.

I presently live in a ranching community where there use to be lots of open land available to hunt, but it is changing also. People driving through just have to have a piece of ground that faces Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, or Mt. Stuart. The rooftops are apearing in greater density every year and soon ranching will be threatened if it keeps up. In short, nothing good will stay that way forever. Change will come.

If you see a pattern developing here, you are right, and it is not only in Wisconsin. It is everywhere. I wish there was some way to slow it down, but I don't see that happening. Every place I moved to in the last thirty years I would have been perfectly happy to blend in with the locals and accept their way of life, but I know I am probably in the minority. I sympathize with your views, but there is way to much motion in this movement to settle in other areas to stop it, and almost as hard to slow it down. Your statement "So how long before this country is like the area you left" , is a good one, but from my experience it is only a matter of time. Enjoy it while you can.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I have seen this in other parts of the country as well.

Well everybody tells me its going to happen you can't fight it.

Well I glad grandview is happy on is 280. So when that is all that is left to him or he and his partner spilt up and he has 140 left then his partner sells and the new owner has the same attitude. Then the new guy puts a house on every 40 then every 10 then every 5. Then one of his kids gets a 40 and puts a house on it but loses his job and can't not keep it. Grandview can not afford to buy it back because its 3500 instead of 500 and acre. Now he down to 100 he can't hunt part of his land becuse a house in now in the way of his favorite shooting lane.

So instead of getting with his neigbors and working togather to increase each others hunting areas. They fort up throw more no tresspassing signs up and slowly drown each other out.

Granview could very well be the nice guy you are saying but he is falling or has fallen into the same trap and that everbody else is going into. And the very reason that he came north for in the first place he is changing it for the worse.

I expect people to respect my land also. Please don't tear up the logging roads with your 4x4s don't cut any trees I haven't given to you. But if you want to walk on it and maybe (oh by god shoot a deer off of it) go ahead.

So maybe 20 years from now when things are gone to hell and he is wondering why it got there it all started with the first guy to throw up the no tresspassing sign and tell is neigbors your not welcome.

Iam done ranting about change now enjoy your little bit of country because it is getting smaller all the time.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter

I agree with your statement enjoy your little bit of country because it is getting smaller all the time completely. It is sad but true.

On another note you mentioned the murder of a warden twenty years ago. I am curious who it was and where it happened. I remember one who was killed by poachers back in the late sixties or early seventies because the warden in our area (Columbia County) replaced him. He also got pretty messed up in some kind of an altercation, but the last I heard he was doing quite well. I really don't know if he is still alive today or not though as I left Wisconsin in the mid seventies.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Idared...
On another note you mentioned the murder of a warden twenty years ago. I am curious who it was and where it happened.

I presume the reference was to either Warden LaFave or Markle, Larry.

GV

Wisconsin Wardens Killed in Line of Duty

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Wisconsin deer hunting 40 years ago....."Walk out of the house and hunt"

These bucks were taken less than a half mile from home. Idared was a bit more "flush" than myself, so he could afford the Springfield sporter. That Enfield No. 1 MK III cost me $15 as I recall.

GV

one of us
posted Hide Post
As all should note I did not write the aritcle from freerepublic. I pulled it from there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first deer rifle was a 03A3 brought for 30 dollars they had a whole table of them. I wish I could have brought them all for that price.

But that was before you need a FFL and the BS that came around in 1968. Should have order some full autos. Remember the ads in back of the Rifleman. Most anything you want if you had the money. Just send them a check and do your door it came.

Talk about deer out your back the door the buck I killed this year was about 100 yards from my back door. I have killed several that close to the house.

One thing about now then 40 years ago there are more deer now then ever dreamed of back then.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the question to you would be what makes a Quality hunt for you ?

What type of hunting do you do mostly?

Why to hunters in your area want to tresspass on your land I don't know.

What are some of the reasons do you think they do?

Do you spend more time worried about who could be on your land and get mad when you see someone you don't know?

Just trying to find out where you are coming from.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I guess the question to you would be what makes a Quality hunt for you?

Solitude mostly. A chance to hunt an area where it isn't obvious by the surrounding environment that deer season is open.

Quote:

What type of hunting do you do mostly?

Stand and still-hunting.

Quote:

Why to hunters in your area want to tresspass on your land I don't know.

What are some of the reasons do you think they do?

They had hunted the land for 20 years previous to my buying it. The previous owner didn't hunt.

Quote:

Do you spend more time worried about who could be on your land and get mad when you see someone you don't know?

I don't waste time worrying about it. I don't get angry seeing someone I don't know. I do get angry seeing this same bunch of trespassers.........I know them well by now.

Quote:

Just trying to find out where you are coming from.

Well, that's it.....not very complicated.

GV

posted Hide Post
Change is the one constant, as they say. I am very happy that I made a decision not to post my little quarter section when I got it in the desert southwest. Posting just seemed like an invitation to trouble, as well as being nearly impossible to enforce. I figured that posting wasn't common in the area, and it might be considered unneighborly.

About two years later, I managed to meet the nearest "neighbor" who had a deer camp about a mile and a half away. We talked for a while, and I said I had thought about it, and if he wanted to hunt on my land, just go ahead, as long as he didn't shoot toward the buildings. He and his group, there were about six of them, said, " no they would never do that", and thanked me.

Then, out of the blue, it turned out he managed a corporate farm with dozens of sections of tilled land nearby, and he invited me to hunt quail on it anytime I wanted to, just let him know.

So, there is my story. I grew up in the country, applied a little country logic to the situation, and I am glad I did. I have to admit, I haven't taken him up on the quail hunting just yet, but... I've been busy!

It certainly is true that what works for one may not work for all, but I am a firm believer in listening to what others have done, if only to learn what or what not I might want to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Solitude mostly. A chance to hunt an area where it isn't obvious by the surrounding environment that deer season is open.

You have to go some other place then Northern Wisconsin if you do not want to know deer season isn't open. Or own a hell of a lot more then 280.

I really dought that they hurt the land in the prevous 20 years and wouldn't hurt in now anymore then they did then.

You came with no hunting tradtion on that land and changed it for every body that had. To try and give you the illusion of being alone in one of the states the deer hunting is really big.

If you really want to be alone you need to go to Canada or AK and fly in.

We both like deer hunting a lot but have a lot in differant on how to be neigborly.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You have to go some other place then Northern Wisconsin if you do not want to know deer season isn't open. Or own a hell of a lot more then 280.

Other than the blaze clad guys that spent the 10 days in the cabin with me this year, that I saw every night, there wasn't much to interrupt the serenity of the days spent in the woods.

Quote:

You came with no hunting tradtion on that land and changed it for every body that had. To try and give you the illusion of being alone in one of the states the deer hunting is really big.

I paid for the privalege. My having no "tradition" of hunting there previously doesn't enter into the equation. Nor would it if I never intended to hunt there at all.

Quote:

If you really want to be alone you need to go to Canada or AK and fly in.

No........I purchased the right and the property to be alone there if I wish. What part of that do you not comprehend?

Quote:

We both like deer hunting a lot but have a lot in differant on how to be neigborly.

You have a rather annoying habit of misinterpreting things as you seem fit.

As previously stated......I have a great relationship with my neighbors. The trespassers aren't neighbors. Nor are they locals, with one exception. All but one are non-resident hunters.......who have never made an attempt to contact me within the last 11 years. Your sympathy for them is misplaced. As is your characterization of the subject material as a whole.

GV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a long reply typed but deleted it as this argument could go on forever. As we have differant views on how to let others use are land. You enjoys yours and I'll enjoy mine.

Happy Hunting.

Nexy time you come north PM me I'll buy you a cup we most likely would have some very interisting hunting storys for each other.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nexy time you come north PM me I'll buy you a cup we most likely would have some very interisting hunting storys for each other.

Sounds good. I think I'd enjoy that.

We typically spend Christmas up there, but I'm not sure yet what dates this year. I'll let you know.

GV