New
Find
Notify
Tools

WI Black Bear guides
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 5 preference points saved up for the draw..Plan is to start applying for a class A license. Probably not enough points yet but might as well start trying

Looking for recommendations on Northern WI bear guides. Plan on staying in one of the local hotels so accommodations are not important. I want a guide who knows his stuff and produces good bears.

Thanks

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give "p dog shooter" a PM.He might be able to help you out as he runs hounds.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
you actually might have a shot at drawing for next year. Good Luck!!!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for recommendations on Northern WI bear guides. Plan on staying in one of the local hotels so accommodations are not important. I want a guide who knows his stuff and produces good bears.

What's a good bear for you a 200 to 250 shouldn't be hard. a 300 pounder to 400 is a lot harder a 400 and up bear is real hard.

Both my son and I killed bears that field dressed at 286 and 292 last year so some where in the 350lb range live.

There was no question in our minds about shooting them. We looked at them and said they are shooters for sure.

We considered them to be very good bears my friend killed one that dressed 336 a couple of years ago.

When I got to the tree on that one I told my friend he is a shooter for sure. It was only about 12 foot off the ground. One can get a good look at them at that distance. When your standing underneath it 6 foot above your head. Eeker

That is a very nice bear, both my daughter and I killed true 500lb plus bears we consider that a once in a life time bear.

There is a lot of luck in killing a true 400 lb plus bear.

What type of hunt are you looking for bait,hounds. If I was going to bait sit I would make sure the season I apply for has the bait hunters going first.

Have you decide what zone you would hunt.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you actually might have a shot at drawing for next year. Good Luck!!!

I heard some 5 pointers received them this year

even some 4 pointers got some in A and D zones

Link to DNR points

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/bearstat.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you've definitely giving me some things to consider. I want to bait sit with my bow and I was thinking zones A and D. I hadn't considered who goes first as far as bait hunters or hounds. How is this determined? I have a lot of research to do. As far as trophy size I would see what the average is for the area and guide and use that as a base line to go off of. First time bear hunter so I'm just starting..

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you have gone with dogs you will never sit on a bait again.
if i were you don't rule out dogs.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't, but I know nothing about hunting with dogs. I think it would be a blast but I have a million questions and not even sure what to ask

one of us
posted Hide Post
Send me a PM with a phone number we can talk

The avg bear killed in Wis. is about 150 pounds

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks..that would be great