THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for US bear hunt with a chance for a color phase bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for US bear hunt with a chance for a color phase bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
US only. I know several Canadian providences have great bear hunting with realitic chances for color phase but I am looking for Western US only.

I have heard the panhandle of ID has good color phase opportunity.

I also want a spot & stalk hunt, no bait sitting for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i would think ID might have a good opportunity for color phase. In SE Washington, I have never shot an actual "black" bear. three tan and one red (red not hit well and not recovered). I know of no outfitters in the area, but I'm sure you can find one in ID. might look at the Lewiston/Snake river area.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arizona and New Mexico ! How about hounds?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I know Ann (Aspen Hill Adventures) of this site books for an outfitter in ID that has a pretty good success rate on color phase bears. I think they mostly hunt bait, but you could check with her to confirm that. Ann is real nice to work with.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer spot & stalk but would consider a hound hunt.

Thanks.

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am a bit biased as I live right next door to the White Mtn. Apache Reservation. And I can tell you that there are color phase bears in our state, and in our northern forests. I shot a chocolate brown one several years ago on the San Carlos Indian Reservation, spot and stalk in the prickly pear, and another jet black color, with hounds near Payson. I know you are not keen on bait, but it does give you a few choices....one as to sex, one as to size, another as to color. Unless you are in the middle of the prickly pear fruit feed, spot and stalk can be tough. And for hounds its tough to be choosy.
PM if you want a few suggested outfitters. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often thought about bear hunting "in the pears" but the very hot temps have always stopped me from booking a hunt .... August/Sept in Arizona can be miserable.

They run some hunts in Central California on mules and they bet very large off-color black bear.....really large.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote