New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wicked Edge Knife Sharpener
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw an ad for Wicked Edge Knife Sharpener (www.wickededgeusa.com) on one of the outdoor channels. I was curious if it was truly worth the $250 for this sharpener.

I have been using the Lansky system for a while but haven't really been able to get the edge that I want especially with my fillet knives.

Anyone have experience with this system for their game processing and filleting knives?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to use the Lansky system either. I think it's too complicated also. But Lansky makes an excellent product that can be had for less than $20. The Lansky Deluxe Crockstick is excellent, lightweight, and easy to use. Be sure to get the Deluxe model so that you have both medium and fine rods. Price at BassPro, Academy, Cabela's et cet. is less than $20.

I also have a Sypderco Sharpmaker but it's really more than us mere mortals sharpening hunting knives need. It's a great piece of equipment, but for the street price of $50+ if you're just sharpening hunting knives it's overkill. Of course so is hunting whitetails with a .375 H&H but I still do it....

LWD

P.S. There's no way I'd pay $250 for that thing.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money I'd get one of these:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19898
and be done with it forever.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a Warthog Sharpener

The Extreme Edge is even better, with easy to switch honing rods. This makes it easy to sharpen different blades from heavy hunting blades to thin fillet or kitchen knives.

I have owned my classic for several years. It continues to serve me well.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
+1 for the warthog sharpener

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I make knives I sharpen using increasingly finer grit sanding belts on a belt grinder.I finish on a buffing wheel with jewelers Rouge and then strop.They are shaving sharp when finished.The best thing to have to keep an edge on a knife is a strop. If you use one after every use your knife will stay sharp.The best way I know to put an edge back on a knife is with a buffing wheel and different grits of polish.This works better than any expensive sharpener. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing that works very well and is cheap is to use wet and dry sandpaper. It's very effective and takes just a little time to learn. Before I started using that method I tried about everything and mostly failed. Now my knives are sharp.

Also as mentioned above once you have the knife sharp use a strop for maintenance. Don't let it get dull, strop first. I started out using leather and a sharpening compound but now it's mostly bolsa wood with a diamond 1 micrond spray. With that combination the blade gets scary sharp. Try it, it's easy.

Regards, Keith
Semper Fi

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frankly if you cant use a Lansky, I doubt you will do any better with the Wicked Edge. At $250 I dont see it although it looks like a nice system. It is set up basically the same as the Lansky. Many people cant use a Lansky, me being one of them. My best friend on the other hand can put a shaving edge on a blade in about 10 minutes. I think that you like me probably keep rolling the edge when we shouldnt.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
+1 for the warthog sharpener

With them. Love mine!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are trying to Shave Hair off your arm, about any ofthe fancy systems will eventually get you there.

For cleaning Game, a Flat File works better than anything for me, because it creates a tiny serrated edge. Plus 2-strokes with the File and you are back in business.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith 1 , I've been making convex edges very quickly and easily with wet/dry paper and a computer mouse pad ! You can get as fine an edge as you want .I usually use 600 grit but you could go to 1200 or higher .It's a VERY easy way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete,
Until I went with the easy sandpaper method I tried about every method known to man. I was just not a natural using stones. Some people are I suppose but not me.

Recently I bought a cheap Japanese kitchen knife to learn using water stones and am making good progress with that now. But to begin with sandpaper is easier.

Regards, Keith
Semper Fi

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Keith,
So tell us about the balsa/micrond spray.

BTW this is how I keep my knife sharp.
Havalon Knives

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Havalon Knives for skinning.

But for boning the meat I use any straight edged knife and sharpen them with this:
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000331.php

Smiths Jiff V Sharpener

This $6 plastic sharpening tool has the cheap feel of a "as advertised on TV" item. But it does work and is super quick and easy to use. It holds a carbide V that sharpens knives and scissors when you run the blade through it. The groove keeps the blade pretty steadily angled. There are similar products for serious knife sharpening but they are more expensive. When compared to the Tormek, I have to qualify my definition of sharp -- however the V does significantly improve the edge in seconds. Often that small honing is sufficient for most household chores. This gizmo is especially great for scissors, which in my experience are hardly ever sharpened after they are bought. I keep mine in my desk drawer.

-- KK

Smiths Jiff V Knife & Scissor Sharpener
$10

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

The balsa strop idea came from Hand American I think. Also I think that the spray is their product but I purchased both from Chef Knife to Go. But I know that some people just bought a balsa 2X4 or 1 guy used a balsa 4X4. That way you have 2 or 4 different sides to put your different abrasives on if you want to try different products.

For several years I had been using the mouse pad/sand paper/leather strop method with what I thought was good effect. After trying the balsa/spray idea I was absolutely stunned. It wasn't my idea it was something that I read about and tried.

If anyone tries using the mouse pad/sand paper method I will give you a word of advice. First off if the knife is not absolutely dull DO NOT USE COURSE SAND PAPER, don't scratch up your blade if you don't have to remove lots of metal. Start at maybe 600 grit [as stated above] and strop the paper ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BLADE like sharpening an old straight razor. NOT CUTTING EDGE FIRST. After making some progress change to a higher grit and repeat the process.

I just go up to 1500 grit before changing over to the leather but now balsa. But the sky is the limit if you want to go higher.

This part is VERY IMPORTANT. When you are stropping the paper only apply VERY LITTLE pressure. Only like the weight of the blade. The reason for that is if you use to much pressure the knife will sort of sink into the sandpaper/mouse pad and the paper will come up behind and cut off/round off the sharp edge. With to much pressure you sharpen and sharpen and the blade never gets sharp.

I have read that most problems with this method of sharpening comes from to much downward pressure. That is the secret to using sandpaper.

Also one other thing. How do you know what angle to lift the back of the blade when stropping? Take a marking pin or Sharpie and paint the blade edge with the pin. That way you can tell if you are actually hitting the edge or not.

I'm not sure if it's still there but there was a very good film on the Knives Ship First web site that you can see how easy it actually is. Or just Google convex sharpening.

Give it a try, you will be surprised.

Regards, Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not I bought and gave a Warthog Classic to my wife as a Christmas gift last year. One of the best moves EVER! She is always happy with her sharp knives, and keeps my knives sharp for me now. A rare stroke of brilliance on my part. The Lansky is a nice product, but now collecting dust.
Doug

http://www.warthogsharp.com/pr...2009.php?ProductID=1

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys. It looks like I'm gonna order a Warthog system.

I wish I was steady handed enough for the other methods.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Keith!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was taught by my Dad how to use the old sharpening stones. Course for a rough blade then finer, then a soft Arkansas stone. I also added finishing up w/ a piece of oiled leather on a special cut piece of wood w/ a handle cut into it. Works great. Tried fancy sharpening systems, just suck at using them. What ever works for you. When I was a yonker me and my buddy, Bubba, yes Bubba , used to get drunk at the deer lease and sharpen all of our knives and test them by shaving our arms and sometimes our legs. Shit I don't know how to this day we didn't cut something off. LOL.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kingd,
This afternoon I sort of polished the edges on a couple of Japanese kitchen knives. They are so sharp that the hair jumps off your arm.

Regards, Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's funny! dancing

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://youtu.be/zZQWhTGkb5c

My old age has kicked-in and I forgot how to post a video. But I like Ron Schwartz who is a good guy and prefer his KME Sharpener system. He has always been good to me, and if Ron cannot make it sharp, it cannot be made sharp.

Best Smiler