THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: .35 Rem for bear in 2 weeks, Fed or Rem ammo?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .35 Rem for bear in 2 weeks, Fed or Rem ammo?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
I've heard it is good, too. I've loaded the Speer 220 to about 2000-2100 fps and it does well for accuracy and would do well on game, but... It is too much for the Remington Model 8.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<BMG>
posted
I'm baiting bear for a friend of mine and I and have a question on a load. I'm personally using one of my big boomers (.500 A2 or .577 T-Rex, haven't decided) but am loaning my friend my fathers old Model 8 in 35 Remington due to lighter recoil reasons for him. Normally I reload all my ammo, but don't have dies for the 35Rem (because I never shoot it). Thus I need to buy a box of ammo.

My choices for ammo are:
1) Federal 200gr RNSP, 2080fps, Power-Shok
2) Remington 200gr RNSP, 2080fps, Core-Lokt

Shots will be about 10yds so I don't really think it will make any difference, however what's your bullet choice - PowerShok or CoreLokt?

Thanks,
BMG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both out of my model 8 and they both will do the job. I think the remington bullet holds togeather a little better than the federal, however, the federal appears to expand a little quicker and thus produces a little more shock. If I were going after deer I would use the fedeal, for bear I would use the remington.
Russ

Posts: 545 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I don't think it matters at all. However, the advertised velocities are not what I get, I get about 1850 fps from my Model 8 (and another rifle) using the Remington ammo. Can't find records on the Federal so won't speak to that. Winchester goes 1836 fps average over 40 rounds from different lots. Consistent, but slow.

I'd like to hear more about your Model 8. From mine, the brass is barely ejected (but ALWAYS ejected), often seemingly striking the receiver right behind the ejector port of landing on my hat brim. Reloads that actually go 2000-2100 fps are thrown back over my right shoulder. Ditto for OLD Silvertips (of which I am, sadly, without).

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .35 Rem. is a good choice, specially from a treestand at short range..The bear will not know the difference between the ammo. I have used both bullet types in 30-30 and can not tell the difference. Both bullets perform superbly at those velocities. Your .35 Rem. is a much better choice then your big boomers if I may say, specially from a tree stand. I assume that you will use the big boomer just to try something different and baptize it so to say on a bear..
Hope you do not believe you need the power.
You be amazed how thin boned a blackie really is. Not much heavier boned then a good whitetail buck, pound for pound.
Check the skeletons.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote