Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Shooting???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
After reading the thread about the long range shooting/hunting show, I was wondering how accurate is the FIRST shot that you guys take?

Say you spot a deer at 1000 yards. Would you hit the deer in the 12" kill zone the first shot every time? Or would you need a "range shot to dial it in due to all the diffrent varialbles??? Also what kind of acuracy (groups) is expected at 1000 yards?

I'm not bashing, just wondering. I personaly havent killed anything much over 400 yards. I would like to get into long range shooting,(I had Hart build me a 260 and have been seeing that there are a lot of people out there using it for long range shooting.)

Thanks

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a while ago there was topic on this board that ran close to 10-12 pages titled "500 yards off hand". It pretty much got off topic rather quickly and then dgreaded into a flame war, but there was some information put out in the first 5 or so pages. You might want to do a search as it may answer some of your questions.

hope this helps.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought i might save you some trouble in looking it up, the 500 yard off hand debate in its entirety, enjoy.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002924#000007

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll check it out.

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
Go to www.longrangehunting.com if you are really interested in long range hunting. There is a lot of very good information and you won't get flamed as long as you keep an open mind.

Most long range hunters would agree that 1000 yards with a one shot kill would require a known wind or no wind. Many use a "spotter round" shot at a similar distance and direction to the animal so they can verify wind and range clicks before actually shooting at the animal - This makes it not a "one shot" kill, but drastically minimizes the unknowns of shooting at long range.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want info on longrange hunting go to longrangehunting.com you find a lot of guys that that do it out past 1500 yards.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Ivan....About 99 time's out of 100 We go for a one shot kill under 1000 yard's.....The places we hunt we have been hunting for year's.And we know how the different wind condition's will affect our bullet's flight....My lr gun's will all shoot 10 shot groups at 1000 yard's of WELL below m.o.a.............There is a long range hunting video out.If interested send me an e-mail..

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd Heaton:
There is a long range hunting video out.If interested send me an e-mail..

I've seen a video, Point Blank 2, it sucked ass. What a disgusting peice of tape, and 45 minutes I'll never get back.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Just the reply I would expect from someone who it's clear to me does'nt have the shooting ability to do it his self....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Toddbartell,
Put it up on ebay if you dislike it so much. I will bid!

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
QH,E-mail me and I'll hook you up.By the sound's of Tod he probably burned it... [Roll Eyes]