New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabrito En Salsa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Slightly off-topic, but the recipies section is slow and I thought one of you might know something about this dish. I need to make it for my in-laws in late February. Fortunately, I get to shoot the kid of my choice, but from there I'm lost. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, Let ask my BMW (beautiful Mexican wife) I'll get back to you tommorrow.

Bob Mehaffey

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Before I ask my BMW, I know from being there and helping my 'suegra' (MIL), that the best choice is to get a kid that has not been weened from the mother (still only on mother's milk), makes the cleaning much easier. If you are making the tomato based slasa, go ahead and shoot (this IS a hunting forum). However, you do not want to shoot it if you are making a proper "Salsa" or "Sangrie", you need to cut the throat and save the blood, which must be stirred for several minutes while still fresh to keep it from coagulating, this is added later to thicken and flavor the gravy. As for the butchering, gut as normal, except that they keep the liver, kidneys, and small intestines. The intestines from a non-weened kid are just rinsed through with water, then cut in pieces to cook. If it is eating regular, then the intestimes are rinsed numerous times, and sometimes boiled separatly then drained. Skin the kid completely, head and all, then cut in pieces and put in the pot. The head is also cooked, and then split along the natural joints on top for access (not really my choice, but BMW loves head Wink). As for getting into the spices for the cooking, I would imagine it is nothing too exotic, salt pepper comino onions tomatoes cilantro etc. Because, after the butchering, the guys went back to drinking and left the cooks alone beer.

If BMW can find MIL between bingo games, I'll have her get the recipe.

Mike

Posts: 34 | Location: Galveston, Texas, USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Sounds like I'm moving forward. Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard