New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old are you?
 Login/Join

<Delta Hunter>
posted
I'm sort of middle aged, but I remember 5 cent Cokes, separate accomodations for blacks and whites and being able to play in the neighborhood all day long without once having your folks come looking for you. I also remember going to the hardware store by myself with some money I had earned and buying a new Winchester shotgun. I remember riding my bike up town to the 5 and dime store and buying a plastic toy soldier for a penny. I remember playing baseball in the vacant lot down the street where houses now stand and shooting birds in the neighborhood with my BB gun.

I remember my grandfather taking me to the cotton gin where I would stand in awe at all the machinery and gadgets. And I could play on top of the cotton bales. He would take me fishing and taught me how to build things. Boy I sure do miss him.

I don't know if those were the good old days or not, but I cherish the memories and regret that my son will never experience some of the things I did.

[ 05-30-2003, 19:29: Message edited by: Delta Hunter ]

<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Yep still own that Western Field shotgun( Mossberg 500) Got it when I turned sixteen except for some new wood and a barrel with adjustable choke tubes it's the same gun. Remember skipping school to go hunting-never missed an opening day for deer hunting. 25 cent gas/a box of 25 for $1.50 even mag shot shells for duck/geese. Still have my original .22 LR Springfield auto loader as well -can't count the number of grays and bunny's it's killed. Still shoots as good as the day I got it.
Yep if your a teenager try and walk down the street of your home town with a rifle or pistol in plain view and see what happens!! Damm discrace !! The innocence is definately gone !!

[ 05-30-2003, 19:05: Message edited by: Gunnut45/454 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cartainly will be the youngest to post here, I probably don't even have the "right" to comment.
But it might put later changes into more perspective...

I can remember when I used to ride my bike to school, and past the school, the road turned to dirt. Up there was a milk bar that sold a bag of chips or a coke for 35c, .22 ammo and airgun slugs, fox whistles and yabbie nets.
You could find yabbies in any little creek.
1c lollies and with 20c you and a friend could buy more than you could eat. The fish'n'chip shop had a 40c minimum order for chips and that was enough for 3 people.
Later would take my shotgun to school on the bus, shoot clay target on Wednesdays in summer, indoor target in winter. Some kids would bring their ferrets to show them off and we could catch rabbits on the football oval.
We had stables at school and you could keep you horse there, ride on the Wednesday sports afternoons.
My mum baught a (used)car for $400, and petrol was 49c a liter.
I saw my old house 3 years ago, it was the only house still standing from when I lived there.
There used to be nothing but farmland out front, the neihburs where a block(1 acre) away and out the back there was nothing for a few hundred meters.
Now it looks out of place amongst new block of flats and housing estates, there is hardly even any bloody grass, let along pasture left!

...I was born in 1980. [Roll Eyes]

[ 05-30-2003, 19:13: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I remember the days when Blorg defended the tribe and our mammoth kill from the maraudering T-rex, but I still got to mate with Layla because of my clever wit.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember almost all of the things mentioned above along with:
Getting 10 cents a bale for bailing hay

the one tonka truck we could afford (I got it twice for Christmas two years in a row because we were so poor)

Caruso on 78 records

Stealing my sister's skates and making a skateboard out of an old 2x4 and the wheels

No turn signals or seatbelts in cars, let alone radios being standard

"Go get me a switch"

Getting 4 strikes because man my brother was a good pitcher.

cleaning the brush out of the hog fences with a machetti

mowers before they had engines, or if they did you had to wind the rope yourself every pull

pumping water from the well

milk right out of the cow

the look dad gave you after you said "shit" the first time, right before it hit the fan.

Yes, I remember. Now my kids think Pearl Harbor is just a good movie.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Man you people are bringing back some memories.....some good , and some bad.
Thank you. Like to think about the good one's the best.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember when the subway was 15 cents, and we still climbed up the columns through the tracks to get onto to the station, and avoid paying the fare.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
My ten-year-old world changed when sputnik went up and I got to upgrade my crystal set to a new-fangled transistor radio all in the same year. And overhead valves, woo-hoo!

Posts: 970 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heh. I remember getting Cokes for a nickel and candy bars too. Can't remember what we paid for .22 RF at the time.

Sometime later we kept hunting guns in our dorm rooms at college, and nobody thought anything of it. There weren't enough bows for the phys ed class that taught archery so I brought my own, complete with broadheads in a bow quiver. No one even noticed, and I got an A for that part of the course.

As I was graduating, the professor said, "Oh yes, there's a new device called a Field Effect Transistor and it's modeled a lot like a vacuum tube except without a heater". Kids now are told that there used to be something called a vacuum tube and it was modeled much like a FET. Oh well.

I keep looking for Orion1 in this thread; I suspect I have fillings older than he is...
Tom

[ 06-05-2003, 04:06: Message edited by: TomP ]

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember my dad's 1948 Caddy. He bought a new one in 1963 and after two weeks, he went back to the 48. My mom drove a studibaker back then, then a 1957 Chevy. I have the Chevy, I wish she didn't sell the 48 caddy when dad died. 50 cents for a movie ticket and a 25 for the popcorn. You got to see Bee Hur or Moses on the Big Screen. That theater is now a Masonic lodge has been since it close in 1971. The last movie they Showed was of all things "The Last Picture Show". Yep it was pretty good if you were a kid, not so good for my mom, keeping us kids and her self on allomony payment of 90 a week. Taking a job with Wellfare, she hated it, and dumped the Democrats in 1960. That started a war with her side of the family. I think I like right now, I get to talk to people, buy computer that I would never do other wise. I like my cell phone, I like flying turbine helcopters, I like 400 channels on my TV. I know I'm worth more than what my employer pays me, my mom had that same problem working for the state. But the one thing I really miss, is the Apple pie my mom would bake or the hot out of the oven cookies and milk that was waiting when I came home from school. yea Apple pie and a glass of milk right from the cow. Never mind that deer I shot with that old 7.62 x 54R, I still have that rifle too. I think every generation, when they grow up and when they get to middle age, look at there youths as well , The Golden Age. Yea the Golden Age for me was 1956 to 1965. After '65 things got strange, I had to grow up.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan in Wa, Suffice it to say I was born in the first half of the last century.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you how old I am ....

My first rifle was a .30-06 Model 98 Mauser my Dad bought for me THROUGH THE U.S. MAIL for $18.00.

That rifle was made for the Belgium Army by FN. Still have it.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
Chic..... remember when Dusty burgers were the best in the world?
How about the Owl Drug when it was on the west side of the street and a small(and really good) root beer only cost a nickle
How about Black Jack gum or Beemans?
10 cent Cokes?
29 cent gas?

Going to Sears with your mother just before school started and getting your new school clothes. And they wraped them up in paper and tied with string. Remember the markets with wood floors downtown with chickens hanging from racks and white pans with different kinds of meat in them.Man I must be old. S

Guess just dating myself.

How about the Lone Ranger on TV, shooting with a .22WRF, "My Friend Flikka", gas @ $.12 per gallon, the first Ford Mustang on the showroom floor, Johnny Horton's "North to Alaska" on a juke box ..........could go one with a few more.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is local,but I remember french fries were called chips and were eaten with vinegar not ketchup.
Pheasants were common in the suburbs,now they are rare on the farmlands.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wyojoe i was about 10 when the new mustangs hit the showroom floors. i thought it was neatest car in the world. opened up a whole muscle frenzy for the folks in the 60s 70s 80s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know - nostalgia aint what it used to be!! [Wink]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember any of that stuff, I'm with Anne you guys must be a bunch of old farts!! then there are lots of things I don't remember!

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

quote:
I don't remember any of that stuff, I'm with Anne you guys must be a bunch of old farts!! then there are lots of things I don't remember!
Uh huh, next you'll be telling us you don't remember the Shadow on the radio or cars with push button starters. Wouldn't be selective memory in your advanced condition by chance? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
wyojoe i was about 10 when the new mustangs hit the showroom floors. i thought it was neatest car in the world. opened up a whole muscle frenzy for the folks in the 60s 70s 80s.

tasco74,
Ditto on the Mustang

[ 06-07-2003, 06:20: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember when we got a color tv! 1963 I think.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be five five come December. As my old buddy Bob says, "thanks for the memories". BTW, I was privledged to attend his show complete with the Gold Diggers at Freedom Hill near Da Nang RVN in 1970. Never saw so many locked and loaded gunships in the air at the same time. Brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. Semper Fidelis.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster; Mr Hope just had a birthday a couple of days ago. 100th I think. Better late than never,Thank you for being there. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

My name is Kevin, I live in CT and I am 41, I will be 42 in August. I will be retired soon as I had a total knee rerplacement due to my jod.So I will get my pension , which I had only 4 more years to get it anyway. I plan on moving to ALASKA and hunting and fishing the rest of my days. I have no wife or kids so this I can do. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I remember "Murf the Surf", burning garbage in our backyard incinerator, slot car tracks, picking up coke bottles for the refund, having to be home when the street lights came on, "E" coupons at Disneyland, the American Sportsman show when they actually hunted big game, Swamp Fox on Friday night Disneyland, having to pick my own switch, and hunting the Wister unit by Calipatria when you didn't need a reservation.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can remember the following:
1. When you could sit on a car fender and shoot
rabbits at night and not get arrested.
2. When you never locked your house even when
going on vacation
3. The Lone Ranger allway's caught the bad guy
4. A dime would get you a big payday candy bar
and a pop.
5. You could buy a whole box of baseball cards
for a dollar.
6. Every boy played baseball and carried a bag
of marbles on his hip.
7. When most anyone would let you hunt or fish for
the asking.
8. 15cent night at the movies
9. 20cent draft beer, muscle cars, and 25 cents a
gallon gas.
10. Going to see the Kingsman play at a local
dance.
11. Going to see the Rolling Stones in Tulsa when
they did not fill the auditorium.
Well I guess everyone has figured out that old age is sneaking up on mem, I turned 55 this April.
But remember old age and trechery will allway's overcome youth and skill. [Big Grin]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great thread, great posts.

I remember when the trouble makers at school were people who ran in the hall or were late to class.

I remember passing on a new-in-the-box Brevex action for $160, a used 410 Parker for $69.95, etc. but we've all got those stories!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handloader,

quote:
But remember old age and trechery will allway's overcome youth and skill.
Yes, it will! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
I wish a few things were the same. Nickle hershey bars, bazooka bubble gum 3 for a penney, 17.9 for premium during the gas wars, playing all over two to three blocks after dark with friends and not worrying about being abducted, and a friend who's dad owned the Rexall in town and gave us free cherry, lemon, lime, vanilla, and orange cokes after school before the bus left.

Won't miss trooping up to the privy in the dark in the dead of winter and freezing my 'nads off, splitting cord after cord of firewood for the fireplaces and stoves, and hauling water from the pumphouse when the plumbing froze up. It's a give and take situation. RKBA! [Big Grin]

[ 06-12-2003, 05:42: Message edited by: JOE MACK ]

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember milk, ice and eggs delivered to the house - the first 2 by horse drawn wagon.

I remember taking the ferry boat to Buffalo to shop for school clothes, and my mother cutting out the labels and putting 2-3 pairs of pants and shirts on me to avoid paying duty.

I remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken was a new thing, and served in an actual restaurant.

I remember listening to speeches by General McArthur on the radio news as he returned to Washington after being relieved.

I remember "The Shadow" and "Inner Sanctum" on the radio.

I remember when we first got a television, and there was only one channel. The neighbours used to visit "just to see".

I remember getting my new SKS through the mail - - Er.. that was just 2 months ago!!? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rag man going by the house in a horse drawn wagon.
Milk delivered to the house.
Dad bought a new '53 Olds 98 for less than $3000.
My first car was a '51 Ford Victoria V-8 with overdrive.
.05 Coke.
My jr. rifle club members brought their .22's to school to shoot during the bi-monthly club periods.
My take down 12 ga. riot gun was carried on in my luggage. Numerous trips.
.22 long rifles were $ .45 a box of 50.
Milk was sold in glass bottles.

Federal Income Tax was so low that mothers could stay home and properly raise the kids.

The Holy Bible was read at the beginning of each school day in each public school classroom. As a teacher I read it in my homeroom.

I used a slide rule in high school.
What is a computer?

A good ear could determine the make of an engine/car just by hearing it drive by. What smog equipment?

Saw the USS Wolverine before it was hauled out into the lake to be scuttled.

This could go on for a while. Good thread.

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
<sbhva>
posted
I remember when comic books went form 10 cents to 15 cents and there was such a public outcry that they rolled the prices back to 12 cents.

I remember 10 cent tap beers and when the price of a 6-pack went over a $1, we thought it was the end of the world!

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I remember the days of garter belts... [Big Grin]

The man that invented pantyhose should be dug up and shot.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank,

I couldn't agree more...

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My great grandparents were the original frontiersman of the region I grew up in.

The days of my mother doing all washing by hand. No video, telephone, dishwasher etc.

The headmaster caning me for 'not wearing a hat whilst playing in the sun' and breaking my thumb [Big Grin] Oh well, back to class.

Growing up where I did in North Queensland sure was primitive.

Because I'm only 28. [Big Grin]

Karl

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Born in 1945 on a small fishing village on the Norwegian North West coast.
Grew up with single shot,longbarreld Remington shotguns and WWII "air dropped guns" from UK.
Bitten ever since [Big Grin]
Used to get Christmas gifts from relatives in Seattle Wash. and Ketchikan AK, and that was GREAT !!! [Wink]
And yes...got electricity in 56 and tap water in 58 [Big Grin]

Posts: 1878 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double nickels now. 55 years old - soon to be 56! Gee its been a great journey to here!
I am so old and came from people so poor... naw I won't go there now except for this little story. I distinctly remember walking down skid row in Seattle, Washington in the early 1950's. It was a long journey from our home on a dirt road to downtown Seattle (25 miles was a long journey back then) and the purpose of our trip was to buy my older brother and me our first Gun! It was to be a 22 Rifle and we stopped in at the fantastic Warshals Sporting Goods store at First Avenue and Madison Street near the waterfront. I remember marveling at the racks and racks of Rifles on all the walls! I was only 6 maybe 7 but my brother was 10. We could not afford a new 22 from Warshals and my father took me by the hand and we walked to a pawn shop not far away. My father bought my brother and I our first Rifle. We had both been wearing out our BB guns!
As the pawn shop owner was counting out my dads one dollar bills I piped up and asked the man what the numbers tatooed on the inside of his forearm were for? My father being a WWII veteran of Normandy quietly asked me to not be so nosey. I had no idea at the time of mans inhumanity to man!
That little Rifle still resides with me and is only shot anymore on very special occassions.
By the way it was more than 20 years later that I again saw the same man with the numbers tatooed on his arm. I had become a policeman in Seattle and was assigned duty on the original skid road. He and I became very good friends and I always marveled at his wonderful outlook on life. Knowing many more of the horrendous details of his and his families suffering during the holocaust I had even more respect for his upbeat outlook on life.
Yeah its good sometimes to look back and remember and assess ones life lessons!
I think I will take out my little old 22 Rifle tomorrow and sound off a salute of thanks to Mr. Kaufman!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, that was a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first (legally) started driving on the roads gas was 28.9 a gallon and there was only one pump. Non of this unleaded stuff either.

I remember going to the local drug store, sitting on a round padded stool at the counter and ordering up a root beer, malted, milkshake. Ahhh those where the days.

I remember going to the "greeks" aka new York Lunch and getting 6 "greek dogs" for a buck.

I rememeber buying my first car, a Dodge Dart, and the front fenders rusting out within 2 years, lol. That ole 225 slant six would run forever. I remember points and condensors.

Damn, I'm getting old.

Don [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You know what "they" say. The memory is the first thing to go, I can't remember the second. [Smile]

Don [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember:

Bonomo's turkish taffy. I liked banana flavor best.

Spy vs. Spy in Mad magazine and LMAO [Big Grin]

Riding my bike to a general store to buy 22 shorts for 40 cents a box.

22 Longs (not long rifles)

Lint from my pants pocket stuck to the waxed 22 bullets.

Going to a junkyard for used parts when the car broke down.

Hearing real old timers call their car "my machine."

Multi-party phone lines and rotary dialers.

Wearing the red and black checked Woolrich deer hunting clothes.

No air conditioning in the home or car.

Carter's Little Liver Pills.

When women wore dresses.

Cinders for snowy roads instead of salt.

Garage calendars with pictures of naked women.

Cherry bomb mufflers.

Crying while Connie Stevens sang Silent Night during Bob Hope's USO show onboard USS Saratoga in '69.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote