Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 & Maine Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

A friend has drawn a lottery license for a Maine Moose. He has a 30-06 and is looking for a load. He's thinking about 180 Accubond with IMR 4350. What would you recommend?

Thank you.

------------------------------------
Klaatu barada nikto

Posts: 107 | Location: Middle Maine | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I for one preffer 180grn bullets for anything heavier than deer. He needs something bonded of course so accubonds should do the trick, but if he cant get that to shoot accurately out of his rifle. Why not try some of those barnes bullets? I cant think of the name of them right now.... I think there called TSX.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Try the 180 TSX barnes. You might have to play around with seating depth. They will definatly kill a moose.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ursus:
Gentlemen,

A friend has drawn a lottery license for a Maine Moose. He has a 30-06 and is looking for a load. He's thinking about 180 Accubond with IMR 4350. What would you recommend?

Thank you.

Old-school Mainers used 30-30. Some of them still do.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14442 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Real Old-school Mainers used Bow and Arrow. Some of them still do. Wink

Bob

------------------------------------
Klaatu barada nikto

Posts: 107 | Location: Middle Maine | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'd use a better penetrating bullet than the AB. A TSX or partition would be my first choice in 180 grains, especially since I already have both loaded. I'd shoot a 168 TSX too before a 180 AB.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
180 AB, Partition, TSX... heck, plain-jane Hornady. They'll all work!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Why not go a bit heavier, say a 200grNP? I doubt you are going to be whacking your moose mych beyond 250-300yds.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unless he is trying to shoot through both shoulders I don't think you need premium bullets for 30-06 speed. Any 180 grain softpoint will completely pass through the lungs and ribs of a bull moose at least in northern bc anyways.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote