New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent wolf hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought with all the discussions about wolves this would be a good time to post about the first wolf I shot last week.

Me and a buddy were out looking for cougar here in Alberta when we spotted some wolf tracks that led down a heavily used trail into the forrest. Since it was almost dark we decided to return the next day to follow the tracks.

The next morning we started to follow the tracks in -30 degree celcius weather. The trail went up a hill for about a kilometer and came out in a clearing that had been forrested. I figured that the clearing would be a good place to call from so we took up position behing a pile of dead trees and began to call. I blew my rabbit in distress call a bit but didn't recieve any response. I then switched to my coyote howler and after my first call we immediatly began to hear wolves howl from beyond the clearing. After blowing the call again we immediatly saw two wolves come trotting in towards us from about 700 yards out so we waited and planned how we would each take one. The first wolf closed to within 100 yards but was standing behind some bushes, making a clear shot impossible. The second wolf was following the first's path so we waited. My friend was supposed to shoot the second wolf and I was to take the first but the wolves didn't cooperate. The first wolf swung around to wind us and was now standing in a clearing only 75 yards from our position looking right at us. Knowing that it wouldn't be long before he bolted I told my friend I was going to shoot and quickly swung around shot the close wolf just as he was starting to run. Unfortunatly the second wolf was behing some brush at the time and my friend couldn't take a clear shot at it or we might have had two.

My wolf is now at the taxidermists getting made into a rug so I can add another trophy to my room.

I'll try to post some pictures if I can find a host so you guys can all see it.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! I can't wait till our turn comes. If it ever does! I think our wolves came from Alberta.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
beer

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thats great. I'll be in Alberta for a 2 bear/wolf combo hunt in May. Looking fwd to it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drove up to the Cincinnati Bass Pro Shop yesterday to look around a bit and buy something to keep the points I'd aquired in Charlotte active. By the time I got there, I had some Iced Tea in me ready for recycling, so off to the back of the BPS I go.

As I'm leaving their "Rest Stop", I happen to look at one of the old black and white pictures they have hanging on their hallway. There was about a 3'x3' print of a fellow who's last name was Smith with a Wolf draped across his right shoulder and a pump action take-down style rifle in his left hand.

From the looks of the rifle, it might have been a 22LR or one of the old rim-fire larger caliber cartridges. The Wolf was a nice size one, but since I've no experience blasting them, I really don't know how much it would have weighed.

I asked one of the employees if they had any Postcards of the old pictures, but he said no. Darn shame cause I would have liked to have gotten one of them.

After I saw the picture, I seem to remember seeing one like it in the Charlotte store, but that could be wrong. Anyway, if you happen into a BPS, check out the old flicks. You might be able to see it too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, Hot Core, why didn't you come over and say hi? It takes me 20 min. to get to BPS.

That's quite a drive for you isn't it? Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, Thanks for the invitation. Next time I'm over close to Cincinnati I'll do just that.

It was a spur of the moment trip. Had a non-healthy family member with me and I was only in the building maybe 20-30 min.

Probably 92 miles to the BPS from here.

By the way, the next time you go there, head back to the Rest Area and see if you can figure out what kind of rifle that fellow is toting. The inscription about it being "Smith with a Wolf" is extremely faint(for my eyes) along the top right edge of the flick. There appears to be more written on it, but I just couldn't make it out.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote