Find
Notify
Tools

PHOTOS ADDED-Antelope hunt report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
Just returned from a great hunt in Wyoming with my brother, my dad and my step-dad. We all had buck tags for Unit 50 near Saratoga and doe tags in Unit 48 near Hannah.

We arrived Saturday morning 16 hours after departing Skiatook, Oklahoma and enduring an hour long snow delay near Elk Mountain on I-80. After checking in the hotel, changing clothes, buying our Habitat Stamps we were off for the hunt. My brother scored first on a very nice older goat with lots of mass and nice ivory tipped hooks and good cutters. He made a 100 yard off hand one-shot kill with his 243 wildcat full stock CZ carbine just as the goat was starting to run. I was next, taking an average goat for the area with my longest kill shot to date of a bit over 350 yards with my Winchester M-70 30-06 loaded with Hornady 165 grain Interbonds. The first shot broke his back as it was a bit high and drifted back. A couple of follow up shots finally killed him. Not my best shooting and made for some messy trophy photos. My dad and step-dad took their goat out of the same herd. My dad shot his average goat with his Browning BAR in 270 Weatherby loaded with 150 grain Nosler Partitions at a range of 369 yards. My step-dad used a friends Winchester 243 WSSM shooting 87 grain PP to kill a goat with good mass and numerous fighting scars with one shot from about 100 yard. Day one after a hell of a drive and we were all tagged out.

Doe season opened on the 25th in unit 48 and we scouted the unit the day before. My step-dad killed his doe first with the same rifle at about 150 yards and my dad shot his doe with the same rifle at 289 yards. I had a tough time finding a doe I could stalk withing range of my S&W 329 44 Magnum handgun. After about 2 hours we spotted one about 250 yards from the road. I was able to approach withing about 150 yards by walking behind a small rock formation between me and the doe. I had to crawl about 30 yards and then tiger crawl the last 20 yards so I could peek around the rocks. The doe was about 80 yards out and she spotted me and came closer. When she turned broadside fired a 240 grain Hornady XTP and killed her with one shot high in the shoulder at 51 yards. I was more exceited about killing an antelope with my 4" barreled revolver than any kill I have made in North America. After that my brother made a great shot on a female coyote as he did his part for conservation in the future.

We saw hundreds of antelope and numerous muledeer each day. Barring a hard winter the area should be good next year.

Photos to follow in a day or two.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. I do not know how you top taking a pronghorn with a 4" 44 mag!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Browntailguy
posted Hide Post
How good was the public land access in the areas you were hunting? And where did you stay?

Thanks

Posts: 14 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Good job Perry. A 4" .44 huh? And here I thought I was doing good shooting my antelope buck with a 15" .308 Encore. Sounds like you all had a great hunt. Ready for next year?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Perry,

You really had a great hunt. Congratulations.

How many days are a "few"? Photos please!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Thanks for the photos!

We were told by a local when we were in Casper last week that 85% of all of the states antelope were within a few mile radius of Casper but we didn't see hundreds everyday like you guys. That is impressive.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns