THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunter faces charges after killing grizzly in Idaho in apparent mistake

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter faces charges after killing grizzly in Idaho in apparent mistake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.spokesman.com/stor...ls-grizzly-in-idaho/

Hunter faces charges after killing grizzly in Idaho in apparent mistake

UPDATED: Fri., Sept. 20, 2019, 9:04 p.m.

By Eli Francovich

elif@spokesman.com
(509) 459-5508

Know your bears

It’s vital that black bear hunters know the difference between grizzly bears and black bears.

Grizzly bears have a hump above their shoulders, short rounded ears, long claws and, when seen in profile, a dished face.

Black bears have no shoulder hump, tall pointed ears, shorter claws and, when seen in profile, a straight face.

For more information, including an online identification test visit: wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements/bear-identification-testing

A Montana hunter killed a grizzly bear in North Idaho on Tuesday, after apparently mistaking the endangered bruin for a more common black bear.

The man has been charged in state court for killing the grizzly, according to Kara Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

The hunter was in the Smith Creek area near the Canadian border, according to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. After shooting the bear, the man identified it as a grizzly and called IDFG.

The Smith Creek drainage is northwest of Bonners Ferry, near the Porthill border crossing. Black bear hunting is open in that area until Oct. 31.

The grizzly was an adult female and had been collared, said Wayne Kasworm, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service grizzly bear recovery coordinator.

She did not have any cubs, Kasworm said.

Grizzly bears are protected under state and federal law. Idaho’s black bear hunting season starts at the end of August. Black bear hunters are expected to know the difference between legal black bears and grizzly bears before shooting.

IDFG is investigating, and the man is cooperating.

Reports of accidental shootings are common. A hunter in Wallace shot and killed a grizzly bear that had been collared and relocated to Montana in October 2015. A grizzly bear was shot and killed near Rose Lake in 2009. Both were cases of mistaken identity.

Last year, a female grizzly with cubs was shot multiple times in an apparent poaching at Spruce Lake, in northern Boundary County.

That case is still under investigation, Kasworm said.

Many human-caused grizzly deaths go unreported. According to one review of grizzly mortality between 1982 and 2017, 17 radio-collared bears died from human causes in the Cabinet-Yaak recovery area. Of those, 10 deaths were reported by the public and seven were not.

According to a 2018 Canadian study, about 88 percent of human-caused grizzly deaths go unreported.

So far this year, regional bear-human encounters and conflicts are down from previous years.

“It’s a good huckleberry year. The bears are up in the huckleberries and not down in the valleys as much,” Kasworm said. “We’ll see, though. This is the time when things start to pick up a little bit as well. Once the huckleberries run their course, there is more opportunity for bears to mix it up with people.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
That tough. Yes the responsibility lies with the hunter to know which kind of bear he is shooting but sometimes mistakes can happen and this guy was up front and reported his mistake to proper authorities who will now in all probability prosecute him to no end. He could in all likely hood pay a higher price than someone who is a murderer or a DUI offender. Sad.

Posts: 578 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I agree BH1, hunter will probably pay more than DUI offender...kinda crazy
And that is why I only hunt bears in Idaho over bait, that way there is no chance to make mistake unless I get charged

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Usually when you turn yourself in for game violations they rack you.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
huckleberry's are usually dried out and on the ground and totally done by Sept 1.
mid-august is really pushing things in most places, and anything on the open slope looks like raisins 2-3 weeks before that.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does seem that State Wildlife Officers put in writing that if you accidentally kill something you are not licensed for, turn yourself in, and they will look at the circumstances and you won’t be charged if the accident was done in good faith.

They then charge the hell out of you.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Does seem that State Wildlife Officers put in writing that if you accidentally kill something you are not licensed for, turn yourself in, and they will look at the circumstances and you won’t be charged if the accident was done in good faith.

They then charge the hell out of you.

BH63

Yessir. That's a tough one!

Most of us were raised to do the "right" thing but it sounds like it might get pretty costly for this guy doing the "right" thing.

It's true, the hunter bears the ultimate responsibility to make sure before a bullet is loosed.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many human-caused grizzly deaths go unreported.

If you inadvertently shot an animal that you should not have killed, and knew you would be fined ten thousand dollars if you turn your self in, would you do it?
The probable answer may be in the lead-in quote.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

They then charge the hell out of you. BH63

Well perhaps the officers, after their investigation, determined that the "accident" was not done "in good faith". They then did their job by filing charges. Charges do not mean they don't sympathy for the hunter. Charges do not equal guilt. The hunter is still entitled to a trial where a judge and/or jury will determine guilt and, if guilty, what the fine may be.

Just because some reporter calls it a "mistake" does not make it so. I hope we get to hear the facts sooner than later.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote