THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Coyote, Wolf or Some Sort of Hybrid?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Coyote, Wolf or Some Sort of Hybrid?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw that pic on another board. It is supposed to be a domestic wolf that got out and got shot. To bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has the normal coyote coat color but is the size of a wolf. Doubt it to be a wolf as no-one would want to be caught with a dead wolf these days. The deer could be a 2 1/2 year old that was a spike as a yearling. Mighty strange.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Actually, that's a mini-deer and mini-coyote!

It's awful easy to alter photos nowadays, and with a little more time this could have looked as real:

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=93466&c=500&z=1"][/url]

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
OMG, DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHIPMUNK!!!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope that is an Eastern Chipmonk. I might have to rethink my Deer Rifle.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
This was posted over at www.huntingPA.com a while back. Here was the explination that was posted on the thread:

Quote:

I took the photos of this canine where it was laying on the ground next to the 7-point buck. I can email you all 4 that I took of this animal and can assure you that they are not doctored in any way. They were taken with an Olympus 2040zoom digital camera and are full resolution of the camera.
I can give you a little more info on this canine. It was killed in Hallstead, PA which is between Scranton, PA and Binghamton, NY. The person who shot it was the brother in law of my Uncle who owns the property where it was shot. The brother in law killed it after someone else had shot it in the leg. It was 105-lbs. It was taken to a PA game commission check station and he was told it was a coyote. The officer said he had never seen one bigger and dismissed it as anything else. The brother in law then decided he would have it mounted. He took it to his home town which is near Pittsburgh, PA and a local sporting goods store said they would pay for the mounting if they could display it in there shop. He agreed. He then took it to the taxidermist and then learned a little more about it. The Taxidermist told him that it was in fact a Male Neutered Wolf.
My uncle has talked to someone who had heard that the NY State game commission had released 12 neutered male wolves to put a dent in the coyote population but that is second hand knowledge. It did not have any collar marks on it's neck but could be someone's pet that got loose at the wrong time. It did look as though it had lived outside most of it's life and having such a heavy winter coat.
I personally think it is some sort of cross breed and released into the wild.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

OMG, DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHIPMUNK!!!

Yep, it looks like I'm going to have to work up a good Chipmunk load for my .340 Weatherby!

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no 105 pound coyotes.

I suspect "trickery"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though the picture does not show up, it was a doctored picture. There was a shadow just under the coyotes spine. The picture was originally of just a yote hide and then someone played Photo Shop on it.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
could have been someones dog that they had given up on. i know if many that have wolf hybrids. some more wolf than others. nuetered makes sense. they bought as a pup and the damn thing wouldn't stop growing. got scared of it and dumped it. it was probably the same folks that raised that freak of a chipmunk! hate to see thier cat.............
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Here is the link from HuntingPA.com.

Coyote-Wolf-Hybrid?

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a wolf. The huskiness of the body and the fairly broad muzzle. That chipmunk scares me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad told me about red wolf cross hybrid in NC that was showing up in Ga.I heard about the red wolf cross in early 1980s.Ga also let go some cougars and most got shot.You should see wolves in Alaska they get hudge.I have seen wolves up to 200 pounds 8 ft long.I would not doubt the Fish and game letting them go they are against most hunters.They want wolves to manage deer also .Alaska is waging wolf war now limit is 10 a day.I took a friend hunting to Ga with me from Alaska .He said South Ga coyotes looked like wolves.Coyotes in Alaska I have seen are very small look like furry dogs.That picture looks like a timber wolf.You aint seen wolves till you go to Alaska .Its not something you want to shoot with your 22.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that our eastern coyotes are bigger than western coyotes because, in smaller numbers they will bread with domestic dogs. Not sure about that since all coyotes I have seen just looked like coyotes to me but most adults are well in excess of 35 lb. in my area.

Maybe feeding on are abundance of rather large chipmunks

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe feeding on our abundance of stray housecats

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If so, I've enjoyed preparing a few wholesome meals for them!

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote