New
Find
Notify
Tools

My elk in Az
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had good time, and thought I would post my AZ unit 27 herd Bull, killed on the 3rd day of hunting.
55 " main beams 20" 4th's. We did not score him so guess on your own.
Pics are not great, he was killed with 10 minutes of light left, so we had to hurry, and take the best I could

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great bull. Congratulations.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What dreams are made of.

Outstanding.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee, great bull bro! I'm surprised I didn't run into you on the mountain.

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull. Good job. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I hope I see one of that caliber on my muzzleloader hunt.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A GANGSTER! His mass is awesome. Congrats to you--like Wendell said, the stuff of dreams.

Tell us a little more about the hunt, and what weapon you used to take that fine bull!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Awesome bull with deep, rich colored, massive rack.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a real Trophy.

What did you Kill him with? How far? What Bullet? Where did you hit him?

That Trophy deserves a good story.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Lee that is outstanding! Can you fill us in on some of the details? Add "how far did he run after the shot?" to Hot Core's questions. Details please!

Thanks for sharing! thumb

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting with Duwane Adams outfit, and had a guide by the name of Frank. We had been hunting this area for 2 days, and we had been hearing this bull, he was very vocal but we could not get him to come to us. On the third day we decided to go see what was making all the racket. We sat down at about 4:00 in the afternoon, all was quiet till about 5:00. We started hearing this bull as he was coming to water. We sat, and watched as about 9-10 cows come out, and he came out right behind them.. There was no hesitation as they came out.It was like this guy had not seen anything all year to be scared of..We watched, and videotaped this guy for about 6 minutes in the meadow, as another bull came screaming up from the bottom. My bull chased the other bull off, before we could see what he was. Frank had already said that we should take him, so I was waiting for a good broadside shot. After running the other bull off, he came back to the herd, which was about 75 yards off, and playing in the water. As soon as he stopped at the top of the dike, I shot him, he was standing at an angle that would take it through the lung, and then out the far shoulder. The wound in the photos is the off shoulder. He reared up like a stallion, and crashed to the ground. He did not take a step. I used a 300wby mag, with 180grn Barnes MRX. It was a complete pass through. We literally had 10 minutes to take photos, before it got dark. That is why I did not have time to pose him, and make it look a bit neater. It was a great hunt, with a great guy, who worked his tail off. I have a great video of this bull, but have not figured out how to upload it. It is about 1.2 gigs, but it is a fantastic video of him screaming, and moving his cows. I tried youtube last night, but it did not work out..
Thanks for asking

Lee

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow....

Congrats to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmwtdh:
Wow....

Congrats to you.

WOW X2!!!!

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks for filling in those details Lee. Please let us know if you get the video working. I'd love to see it. Again, congrats on a great elk!

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeeC:
... We literally had 10 minutes to take photos, before it got dark. That is why I did not have time to pose him, and make it look a bit neater. ...
Hey Lee, I actually prefer for it not to look "posed or neater", because it looks like the way it should look.

Had a buddy send me a link to some flicks of a nice Buffalo he Killed on a Board I don't frequent. When I got to view it, some fool had criticized him because the tongue was showing and some blood was visible. That is the way most of mine look when they are dead and I don't try to hide it.

Your "rushed" flicks are much better than the pre-staged politically correct bull that is forced down our throats. I'll take your kind of pictures over them any day of the week.

Great Hunt and a fine Hunting Story to go with the Trophy. Thanks for sharing it!

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Aha, you were in Duwane's camp, eh? Note the other name on the cover of the Coues book below. Wink

Anyone else in camp tag a bull?? -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did notice the name Smiler
Duwane is a great guy, and camp was very cool, as it seems as though everyone is a comedian.
I had an absolute great time, and Frank was a top notch guide. He never pressured me, and continued to find bulls, when I turned one down.
I probably could have taken a bigger bull on the first night, but when I pulled the scope up to get on him, I could not see the antlers. All I could see was body, so I passed.It was right at sundown
We had one other in camp, he was shooting muzzleloader in unit 1. Very nice guy, and killed a nice bull on the 4th day.

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
That is truly awesome ! Wow Wow Wow !
Congratulations.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Very nice Lee. Another great specimen from Region I.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote