New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Cheyenne, Wyoming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My assignment on Guam is coming to an end and now I am going to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I had several options of assignments back on the mainland, but I decided that Cheyenne would be pretty much the perfect balance of professional and recreational opportunities. We are very excited about my new position there and all the different things to do.

I have never hunted in Wyoming, but from all my research on these and other forums, it looks awesome!

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay the hell away from TRIGGERS gun shop! They are in Wyoming and they are F'ing morons!

I believe we have a member that will help with transfers if you need it for a firearm. Don't take anything, especially a pre 1968 non serialized firearm to them for transfer. If you are extremely lucky you might get your gun in 7 months!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I followed that thread, edited posts and all, and took them off my list of anyone I would consider doing business with.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
You'll be 45 min from me. I'll pm you my number, call me when you're coming to Cheyenne and I'll help you move the heavy stuff and buy you dinner

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as hunting, you are where most people dream about. The herds are down some now because of bad winters and in some places, wolves, but overall the deer, antelope and elk hunting is fantastic as well as the varmints. I never really liked Cheyenne too much as it is just kind of out there on the flat, cold plain, but you will do fine there. If I had my choice of living in that area, I think that I would have to pick Laramie.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
You'll be 45 min from me. I'll pm you my number, call me when you're coming to Cheyenne and I'll help you move the heavy stuff and buy you dinner

Drummond

Thanks Drummond. PM Replied.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted mule deer, antelope, and prairie dogs several times in Wyoming. It is a great state, and the people are friendly.

Also, you are not that far from Montana, and Idaho, 2 other great states with great hunting,and friendly people.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

welcome to wyoming
hope you like "the" wind.
buy heavy patio furnature
or buy it again and again....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earlier this week there was a 90 degree temperature differential between Guam and Cheyenne. It was 87 on Guam and -3 in Cheyenne. I thing I will own more scuba gear and Hawaiian shirts than any three people in Wyoming!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would sell the SCUBA gear in Guam.

As for the Hawaiian shirts, well that could be your trademark...

I even have a couple I wear in Texas...

Although there is a story involving the Secret Service, that goes with the Hawaiian shirts...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
welcome to wyoming

That right there is funny, and true.

I live 8 miles east of Wyoming/SD line in the Black Hills, and all of our wind comes from the west! Big Grin

Congratualtions, what you are losing in weather quality, you are gaining in hunting quality.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
quote:

welcome to wyoming

Thanks for the welcome and the warning. If I can't get wrought iron I'll buy tethers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live 8 miles east of Wyoming/SD line in the Black Hills, and all of our wind comes from the west!

When I lived in Southern Wyoming, the saying, the reason the winds blows so bad is cuz Colorado sucks! Big Grin

Welcome to Wyoming. It was 43 today in Cheyenne, 43 knots that is!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Dang Hook, you are getting some awesome advice and even offers of help! Sounds like a sweet move. Much better than trying to set up camp in the Northeast (I HATE it here), good choice on your part! Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7,

I know a lot of people here in Casper who scuba dive. It gives them an excuse to go somewhere way south with warm weather and a beach several times every winter!

Welcome to God's country!

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a place in the NW part of the state. Wind can be an issue at times the locals say. From what I have seen they are right.

The locals are also some of the friendliest and most helpful people you will find.

The game and fish regs seem rather confusing but that may be because of the numerous options available.

Right now I split my time between WY and Il but would much rather be out west.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7

You could not of picked a better place. I came to Wyoming in 1988 on a hunting trip as teenager and fell in love with the country and game.

I am fortunate enough to spend most of the year in the Cowboy state.

Welcome to Wyoming and good luck.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

I've been living in Wyoming for 7 years now and I have to agree that the folks here are very friendly and helpful. The DIY opportunities are numerous for the sportman with a little ambition. Then of course there is the wind. I fear you may miss the weather on Guam. I found it the most pleasant place I ever lived.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13003 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LH7, Sorry to hear you're not returning to Fountain Hills. Last March we had a mountain lion stroll in from the mountain perserve, last Mon it snowed down to 2500' and last year I was fortunate to harvest a 507 lb chocolate bear in the White Mountains. I think you'll love WY and all the hunting/fishing adventures that lay ahead of head. Welcome back!

Posts: 88 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! I am very excited about making the move.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite steak house is there...Little Bear Inn .....terrific!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftcoast:
LH7, Sorry to hear you're not returning to Fountain Hills. Last March we had a mountain lion stroll in from the mountain perserve, last Mon it snowed down to 2500' and last year I was fortunate to harvest a 507 lb chocolate bear in the White Mountains. I think you'll love WY and all the hunting/fishing adventures that lay ahead of head. Welcome back!

Congratulations on a huge bear! I loved living in Fountain Hills and will never forget having a bunch of javelinas come on the front porch and looking in the floor length window. I wasn't sure if they were going to come in or if my dogs were going to go out! One time I put the trash bin out the night before the truck came rather than waiting until the morning and they turned it over and woke me up at about 2:00am. I went outside to pick it up and one of them was trapped in the trash bin! He was trying to go out the bottom rather than turn around and get out the way he had come in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Don't forget to tell them you know the former mayor of Wyoming, Pa. Where the name comes from.
Oh yea that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Wish you the best.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! I'm not above name dropping!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that area...LOVE IT!! The rock-hounding and "Indian" artifact hunting are fabulous. Antelope are everywhere.....you will see herds right on the edge of town. Beautiful hilly country between you and Laramie. Wander north to Chugwater (don't try Chugwater Chili ...it's highly touted there.....but not worth eating), and you'll see more antelope than you can count. When I hunted there, it was pretty easy to get permission to hunt from the landowners. Just ask MONTHS ahead of time, and promise to not leave gates open. Then you can walk the area long before the season, and learn where the herds are, and the topography. Wyoming is absolutely wonderful.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Lee,

Don't forget to tell them you know the former mayor of Wyoming, Pa. Where the name comes from.
Oh yea that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Wish you the best.

Mike

Since the name Wyoming has zero to do with the actual State of Wyoming it has always been a source of humor for Wyomingites (of which I am one)..

I can't remember all the things we were going to change the name to but here's a couple: Custer, Roosevelt, Bighorn, Yellowstone and Teton, Platte, Grosse Ventre, Wind River, and Lewis and Clark.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
In some ways Cheyenne is to Wyoming, what Anchorage is to Alaska.

As in it's not Wyoming but you get there in a bout an hour.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well put!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I turned down a job with Cheyenne PD back in 1980. Just wasn't enough trees in that part of the state for this northwoods boy

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your move to Wyoming. One of my favorite places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It burned. Kitchen fire.

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antelope are everywhere.....you will see herds right on the edge of town.

Umm, you'll have to honk at them to move out of the way to get on base at the Randall/Pershing Avenue gate.

Had four in the way Friday morning going to downtown.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Are you single?

If so, you will love Wyoming.

A single gal behind every tree.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping yuck jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john113wyo:
quote:
Antelope are everywhere.....you will see herds right on the edge of town.

Umm, you'll have to honk at them to move out of the way to get on base at the Randall/Pershing Avenue gate.

Had four in the way Friday morning going to downtown.

There wasn't that many when I was at FEW 50 years ago.

Nice town but I don't know it very well anymore.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention:
ALWAYS. PARK FACING INTO THE WIND IN THE WINTER.
It WILL lay your door against your front fender.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Are you single?

If so, you will love Wyoming.

A single gal behind every tree.Wink

And some of them still have teeth. hilbily

BTW, the Crown Bar on W. Lincolnway is usually packed with them on Friday and Saturday night. beer

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
My assignment on Guam is coming to an end and now I am going to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I had several options of assignments back on the mainland, but I decided that Cheyenne would be pretty much the perfect balance of professional and recreational opportunities. We are very excited about my new position there and all the different things to do.

I have never hunted in Wyoming, but from all my research on these and other forums, it looks awesome!

Welcome to WY. Will be PMing you my number if you need anything. We have a new gun shop on Pershing Blvd you might like.

My brother was stationed in Guam & just left ther in June.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe! I was actually going to post a gun shop question. I'll respond to your PM with my phone number.