New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting loads for SKS
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
Well, last fall I gave my sister my Remington M700 ADL Synthetic in .270 Winchester. Unfortunately, she has not practiced enough to use it this season. She seems much more comfortable with my SKS. So I was wondering if you had to hunt deer with an SKS, what load would you use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
FarRight A few years ago I killed 2 deer with a 7.62x39 rifle. I used Hanson 123gr. soft points. They were the only soft points available at the time. They worked great, the shots were about 60 and 85 yards. I think Federal is loading a soft point now. There is also some Russian sporting ammo on the market but I have not tried it. I would NOT use any full metal jacket ammo for deer.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<thecrafter>
posted
tell ya friend,wolf hollow points do a number on whitetails,shot 2 last year ,1 within 60 to 70yds.heart/lung shot steel jacketed(you can test with a magnet)doe ,big doe died within a few yards of the the shot and a exit wound the size of a dinner plate...second deer,large buck around 100 yds. or so same 122 or some odd grain wolf load,shot through the the frontal area exited the left gut area,dead deer within a few yards.i was suprised in both the deer at to what that round would do,and very pleased at to what it did.the 7.62by 39mm is a very under-demised round,it killed a deputy in this jurisdiction real quick not to long a ago,fresh out of rookie school,blew a exit hole bigger than your our mine fist with a vest on.very underated round with the right load,wolf hollow points(cheap)will do the job on any whitetail or human,you can even take a magnet to the bullet and prove its steel jacketed which is good ,it lessens the mushrooming slower and provides deeper penetration.wolf hollow points are ideal for whitetails and humans,but better for deer......killed 2 deer last year with the same load out of a sks,one shot a piece,out to 130 yards.good round and a good killer and i even had a shitty el-cheapo chinese scope on it..use it and be happy with the results,dont use american soft-points,they will run to far,use the wolf,el-cheapo hollow points,they kill with big exit holes and a large blood trail(if that),trust me and you'll do well on whitetails with this round,matter of fact this is the first rifle round i used on two deer and was pleased with it,now i'm gonna use 308 or 3006 to really blow them away this year......

<thecrafter>
posted
trust me ,use the wolf 122 or 123gr.hollow point,its real cheap and will kill deer witha passion of a 3006 or 7mm mag.within 200yards,its steel jacketed(try your magnet) and it will kill them deader than hell frozen over,i promise that and i know from first time experience and witha witness...it will kill them dead for less than 2.50 a box of 20....i promise....$20 dollars bets it......

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I've used my SKS for hunting deer, and switch to it when I'm doing a drive. I've got a synthetic stock on it and, all in all, it's a light, handy package. Ballistically, it's comparable to the .30-30 Winchester, a well-established game-getting round, and I certainly have no problem using the gun or the ammo for hunting. I've handloaded for it but, with ammo costs for the Wolf ammo being what they are, I've stocked up on a case of the stuff.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote