THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Can you experts field score this buck?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Can you experts field score this buck?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It takes a heck of a nice 4x4 to get up inot the 140's, but I think this guy will get there. I'd pretty much agree with tcencore260's scoring, but with a couple of acceptions. I think there will be about 10" total more mass, and an inch or so wider. My guess would be in the low 140's, 142"-144". This is a gross score of course, the only way to go.

I didn't think NY deer got this big. You stick another tine on each side for next year, and this old boy will be up around 160". A very nice whitetail in anyone's neighborhood.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess in the 140's.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a 'trophy' hunter until this year, when I had the opportunity to devote every minute of my hunting season to getting a shot at this buck. Unfortunately, it didn't work out (but no one else shot him, either). Hopefully, he'll avoid traffic and make it to next season!

I'm looking for you to 'field score' the antlers. The buck lives near Syracuse, NY ("Upstate") - to give you something to go by for body size. He must have known I was taking his pic - he's sticking his tongue out at me!

Any educated guesses would be appreciated.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=85845&c=504&z=1"][/url]

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would get it scored once i shot it. it looks like he should go in the 150's. that is a mighty fine buck.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
140-160 but I could be wrong. Should be a great trophy next year no matter what he scores. Hopefully he gets some more mass and longer brow tines. Good luck on your quest.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
135 -140 He has good length to the main beams, is a young deer likly a super 3yr.old, the G2 and G3s are good for length. Good Luck hunting him.

HBH

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'd guess he go in the 140's in your photo. Could have pretty good potential for next year!

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mid 140's would be my guess. A couple more tines would be nice. He's a real nice buck, but judging by the size of his head and neck compared to an older north midwestern buck, the antlers may look out of proportion. Considering that, he may score a little lower. He'd make a nice trophy next fall.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would guess he is about 130-135. This comparing to my buck taken last week that is nearly identical to this one. His age I would guess 4.5 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be around 145

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't care what he scores. He's great and he's gonna get better. You bowhunting?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My big buck to date is very similar to this one, prior to the damage mine incurred from a fight with another buck 2 weeks before the season. It was actually a 10-pt with a similar spread and very few deductions due to symmetry. It measured out at 144. I also might add that my taxidermist remarked that it's age was probably around 7-8 years based on tooth wear and that it was probably quite a bit bigger the previous couple of years.

He was spotted dragging around another dead deer about 2 weeks prior to the season and the farmer drove home to get a rifle to put him down as he laid down into some wheat stubble. As the farmer returned he got up, kind of snapped his neck pretty hard and managed to snap one brow tine and the tip of his right beam, and then ran off into the creek bottom. When I shot him he obviously had the antler damage but also was pretty torn up on one side of his face and appeared to have a notable gouge near his left eye.

The taxidermist later discovered that his face had abscessed and there was a lot of damage not apparent to the eye from the outside and a lot of hair was lost in the tanning process. He left it that way, laid his torn up ears down like he was ready to fight and those things remind me of what a fighter he had been.

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt if he would score over 130. Very short brow tines and main beams. His points are only average. Mass will be less than it appears due to being in the velvet stage. He appears to me to be 5.5 years old or older. A mature deer no doubt.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Low to mid 140s.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
18" spread

main beams 22" (x2) - can't see the length of the beams well, but I'd say 22" is about right, but maybe too much

4" brow tines (x2)

10" G2s (x2)

8" G3s (x2)

3.5" bases (x2)

3.5" H2 (x2)

3" H3 (x2)

2.5" H4 (x2)

comes out to about 131". The biggest variable here would be the length of the main beams and the mass - its hard to tell mass when the deer is in velvet.

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
High 130's to low 150's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Symmetry is decent, mass is average for a young buck, brow tine length is very short. Since the buck is in the velvet the rack looks heavier than it would be rubbed clean. Boone + Crocket rewards very symmetrical racks and racks with poor symmetry will score much less due to deductions. B+C will score a typical rack to match the smallest side by making the tine lengths equal side to side. The non-typical catagory benefits the rack by giving the rack it's full measure in inches. Typical racks minimum score entry into the B+C record books is less than the non-typical catagory. Some non-typical racks qualify for B+C entry in both catagories, typical and non-typical. Every non-typical rack can be be scored typical as they are all main frame racks with odd or extra points on both sides in many angles and directions.

This buck has great potential for the future and I would give him a score of 118 B+C points. The average deers ears are 6" long and the space between the ears is about 6" thus the rack has an approximate 18" spead at it's widest point.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote