Notify
Tools

Hog Hunting *pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
 -
 -

Lease owner asked me to start shooting the hogs that were rooting up a cultivated silage corn field ......... how could I not oblige him :grin:?

Set up on the cultivated field 204 yards away and waited for them to come out of the swamp where the perimeter road snakes around the end of said swamp.

Recently upgraded 700 .270Win Mtn Rifle spoke with a 130gr SST and she fell over in her tracks. She was right at 250#'s and had 12 more pigs ....... actually sholts(sp?) & guilts(sp?), hers I'm sure, weighing 80 - 120 pounds each. Bad lightning storm was rolling over SW Georgia, so they lived another day. But I'll be back in 2 weeks with the little Mtn Rifle [Wink]

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CT... Tell us more about the projectile performance and do you have a recovered one?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys got some pretty big prairie dogs down there.... [Big Grin]

What a fun way to spend an evening!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same info as most regarding the lack luster performance of the SST's, but it worked fine on this big sow. The bullet entered about 2 inches in front of the shoulder and she was looking at me and quartering to my right. The bullet broke the shoulder and passed through the vitals, exiting the opposite side and leaving a big hole. Didn't need to 'bleed' her, since she was spurting blood out the exit hole after collapsing in her tracks and falling on the entry wound side.

I don't think I'll try this bullet on deer, primarily based on info I have read here and other sites, but had several loaded for the 700 SUCKS .270Win Mtn Rifle and wanted to give 'em a fair try.

I am having fun with the .270 Mtn Rifle and its light weight. Just stepped down from the same 700KS Mtn Rifle in .300WM and find it lighter and fun to hunt with & shoot.

More to come ............

Clay

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote