Find
Notify
Tools

Actual Elk hunting experience????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Since we are "chasing rabbits", so to speak- I have to tell of an experience. Last year I took 3 teenage daughters elk hunting. I know, I need to have my head examined. They shot their rifles every weekend all summer long, had to qualify with 3 shots inside a paper plate, etc.

I equipped them with hand-held radios for peace of mind and "just in case". There were these two yahoo's from (where else?) Texas who literally could not shut up! It was like they were having seperation anxiety- we got a status update every 3 steps. One guy was always trying to find Randy. We changed channels quickly, but it was so bad that the inside joke for the kids was..."Dad, I think I just saw Randy back there!" or when we saw a vehicle from Texas-"Dad, they found Randy!" LOL- funny stuff.

I wonder if these guys ever saw an elk? Obviously they dont know how far the human voice carries in elk country...

And before the hate mail starts...my father in law lives in Texas and Texas is a fine state. In Colorado we have a little thing about Texans, thats all.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't been around for my thread but after I wrote it I was out washing my boat and fell into the electric fence with water in one hand and a 4our foot metal washer with a brush in the other.It fried me bad.Ow well,I never made sense before,why should I start now???

I am glad you fella's didn't take it wrong.Like you,I love to hunt but I can't afford the goodies that are out there so I settle for Bushnell and other low cost items that work.

The one thing I don't scrimp on is Bullets.Only the best,like Noslers and Bear claws and a Kodiak for the 45-70.

Best of luck....Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always keep in mind as far as what is actually needed to elk hunt can vary a lot.
Big difference in the equipment I needed on a early Oct. NM hunt and a early Nov. CO hunt.
Also, a big difference in a do it yourself, and a guided lodge hunt.(I wish I could afford one of those).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayco---I'm glad your're o.k. and it's a bloody good thing that you are a tough old bushwhacker or you mighta got fried! I have been struck by lightning, on isolated firetowers three times, electricity is scary stuff.

I agree with you about surplus wool, at least in pants, the problem here is that you simply can't buy the stuff, the surplus stores don't have it. So, I am going to buy two pair of Filson's, the price of which makes me cuss, but, better an empty wallet than a frozen ass!

I am NOT wealthy, but, I have no kids and I gave up beer, so, I can just barely afford to have a Zeiss binocular-good for the waist line, too!

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jayco---I'm glad your're o.k. and it's a bloody good thing that you are a tough old bushwhacker or you mighta got fried! I have been struck by lightning, on isolated firetowers three times, electricity is scary stuff.

I agree with you about surplus wool, at least in pants, the problem here is that you simply can't buy the stuff, the surplus stores don't have it. So, I am going to buy two pair of Filson's, the price of which makes me cuss, but, better an empty wallet than a frozen ass!

I am NOT wealthy, but, I have no kids and I gave up beer, so, I can just barely afford to have a Zeiss binocular-good for the waist line, too!

I know all about lighting also.Hooking with tongs during a thunder storm isn't the brightest thing to be doing but it payed well.Thank God for Gloves.

We still have some good surplus wool pants and tops here but if I could afford it I would get some Filsons also.I do have a nice Wool Jacket my wife bought me on a closeout sale in Orofino Idaho for 42 bucks with a rain guard on the shoulders.My little splurg.

I'm not against any of the good stuff,My point was it is not needed if you can't afford it like many can't including myself.Cheap old Sorrels and Surplus wool and waterproofed Levi's kept me and others going 6 days a week in 3-4 feet of snow all winter long till we happily got layed off.

Even if we could have afforded it we wouldn't have worn it to be ripped up within a week from a number of things that just happen sliding around in snow with tools.

Best of luck and just my opinion from the poor side of it...

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
its hard to disagree with your combined experience.BUT at my peril I shall try to balance things.
For the most you seem to take on elk hunting as a small weekend excursion from home after you fed Betsy...
Well not all people live your live style,are in your shape or age,or have your opportunity.
While I clearly see the advantages of your setting,this will not sway me from moving to the backcountry to become a logger ,consequently I ,and many others,come with a different handicap.
For me wool is heavy and scratchy old time religion.I prefer modern light closing in which I dont sweat so much steaming around.I prefer a decent boot over SORELS any time in the mountains,for reason that I find pacs very uncomfortable for long term walking and close to useless in steep mountains.
I uderstand you differ and thats fine.Moreover ,I am like a guest,each time I visit the wilderness,and whatever I dont have I cannot use,so good equipment makes my stay more comfortable and maybe even helps me.
All I am saying from the standpoint of a hunter that visits your backyard during hunting season:my priorities and handicaps are different,and my super duper gear is right for me.I appreciate any help I can get.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter wrote:
Quote:

[While I clearly see the advantages of your setting,this will not sway me from moving to the backcountry to become a logger/quote]
Quote:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Good luck.Logging is going to hell in a hand basket and experienced loggers are out of work.Used to be a good thing but now it's a day to day thing.Check out the Forest Service and the seasonal jobs.Better life expectancy.

Hey if your ever in Idaho I would help all I could tho.

Best of luck.....Jayco.