New
Find
Notify
Tools

Healed Up Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Five Weeks ago my gall bladder decided to cause me a lot of grief and aggravation. It became gangrenous and had to be removed. They had to cut me wide open because it ruptured, and I almost went to the happy hunting grounds. Then, after losing about 30 pounds, I had a problem during a follow up outpatient procedure and got some digestive acid in my lungs which caused me breathing problems and a fair amount of discomfort for about a week. Once the doctors left me alone, I decided to get better and Saturday morning I went deer hunting here in Southeast Georgia where I live. I had a new Kimber 7mm-08 that I hadn't taken anything with, and at 7:45 in the morning the buck pictured here gave me a shot at about eighty yards. A Winchester 140gr ballistic SilverTip dropped him in his tracks. I think I an healing up just fine now.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"AWWWWWWWWWESOME"
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Great! Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, way to go, how are the temps in GA right now? Has your deer herd started rutting yet?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

The temps have been cool lately, highs 60's low's around 40. Our rut is usually aroung the first of October, with another rut around mid November or so. We are located on the coast in the Southeast corner of the state. Middle and North Georgia have a much later major rut, that is easier to predict.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That picture is indeed great news Dale. Both my wife and I wish you the very best, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great therapy; nice buck. Glad you're back on your feet.
Dave

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Congratulations on the outcome of your procedure! Glad to see you are getting back in the saddle. Best wishes. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post

Had a similar experience this year with ruptured lower intestin, closer to death than I realized, emergency surgery, colostomy bag for six months and recent "re-hookup" of plumbing, NO MORE BAG!

It sure makes you appreciate every day (especially hunting days)! I thank God for every chance to hunt and hope to be more thankful for every experience. Thanks for sharing your picture and story.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You can't beat a story with a truly happy ending. Continued well wishes along the road to complete recovery.........

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are better. Just don't push it toomuch. After major reconfiguration it takes longer than we want to get beck to 100%. I know from my heart surgery in April. I Still wind down faster than I did before, but otherwise feel like a 28 year old.
Nice little buck too. Our gun season does not start until weekend after next. A little cold weather would really get things moving around hear.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?