THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Went to the range this morning (again)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to the range this morning (again)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As some of you will recall last weekend I went to the range...
and took two rifles.

Rifle A was a Rem. 700 7mm RM with a 24" stainless barrel loaded with the following: 140gr Accubond, 66.5gr of Reloader 22 with a Federal 215 primer at 2925fps.

Rifle B was also Rem. 700 270win with a 24" stainless barrel loaded with the following: 140gr Accubond, 59.5gr of Reloader 22 with a Winchester WLR primer at 2975fps.

Well I went back this morning with the 7mag, this time with two loads:
Load A: 140gr Accubond over 69grs of reloader 22, win brass, federal 215 primer at 3015fps.

Load B: 140gr Accubond over 66.5grs of reloader 19, win brass, federal 215 primer at 2930fps

Even though both loads grouped realy well, 1/2" to 3/4", I was hoping for more velocity, like 3150fps or better. So I'm not sure what to do now? Try another bullet? Another powder? If so which one? Or just rebarrel this rifle???

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, what is it you are trying to accomplish? If you are getting nearly 3000fps and groups in the 1/2-3/4" range, then I'd say you have a good set up as is.

I've shot the same loads over two different chronographs and got nearly 100fps different readings. If you want, wait until it's a little warmer and you will probably pick up an average 40fps more.

You can try different bullets and different loads to your hearts content. But to re-barrel a sporting rifle that is shooting 3/4" or less groups doesn't seem right.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel lucky if I come with in 100 fps of book vel most of the time my rifles are a 150 to 200 feet less then the book.

Any rifle that well put a load into 3/4 inch groups is well worth shooting at what ever vel gets it there.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then why bother with the 7mm??? My 270win will group just as good and with it I've got a lighter rifle, that holds one more round, has less recoil, thats burns 9.5grs less of Reloader 22 and the 270 is only shooting 35fps slower.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Yup, I agree. If you are going to upgrade on the .270, you might as well go up a couple more pay grades and get something that is slinging a much bigger bullet. To my way of thinking that is at least a 300 mag of one flavor or another with a 180 grain bullet (preferably 200 grain).

IMHO, with that .270 in the battery, should you decide rebarrel the 7mm Mag, go bigger!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Simple answer-pour in some more powder. The 7Mag is one of those cartridges where the loading data varies quite wildly. I have to load 71-72 grains of RL22 for roughly 3250 fps with the 140's, although I have never loaded an Accubond. As a matter of fact I get 2950 with 175's with 66 gr RL22 in W-W cases. I'm like you, I get 3000 fps with the 7x57 and 140 TSX's, so I don't want 3000 fps with the 7Mag. It should top out with 140's at 3250 -3300 fps and that is a real magnum load. I have also had some other 7's that wouldn't take a load any higher than you're loading, but if it's only 3000 fps, there's more room left. I just stepped into the loading room and checked my log, as I haven't loaded 140's for a while. I loaded 71 grains with the 140 Sierra for a deer load and the velocity at 10 ft was 3246 fps. I'd just add some powder till I reached that velocity, your rifle may need 72 grains or so.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Just in from Chronographing some 3 - 7 mm Rem Mag loads with 154 Hornady and 160 Accubonds. The Hornady with 66 grains of R 22 went 2950, the Accubond with the same went 2933, the Accubond with 68 grains of IMR 7828 went 3037 ft/secs. Accuracy was .75, .5, and 1.2"'s.

All loads shot in a 24 Ruger M77 SS all weather variation, Leupold 4.5 X 14.

Had high hopes for the 7828 load as it was highly touted on the forum, but rifles are individuals...

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
To my way of thinking that is at least a 300 mag of one flavor or another

Don't think I haven't thought of that.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would sell the 7mm RM...and use the cash for your brown bear hunt or to buy me dinner in Alaska

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I would sell the 7mm RM

Then what would I have to play with??? Big Grin I'm looking for a caribou/moose/back up deer rifle and thought a 7mm would be just the ticket. Roll Eyes