Find
Notify
Tools

Current state of the NRA?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I heard on tonight's news that the NRA is in turmoil. Oliver North has resigned suddenly. Wayne LaPierre is claiming North tried to blackmail him... sexual harassment, excessive travel expenses, wardrobe costs, etc. brought up. Anybody have any information? I heard LaPierre was reelected as CEO. The last thing we need with the New York lawsuit is internal turmoil....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find Jeff Knox, Knox Report if you want to know what Wayne LaPierre has been doing with the NRA.

Jeff’s father lead a grass roots revolt to clean up the NRA. He almost won. Wayne won changed the Boards election rules and forced out Jeff Knox’s father.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Is it true that North is receiving $$ from Ackerman McQueen?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. Mr. Shores has reported that New York where the NRA is incorporated is now requiring disclosure of what gets paid to Vendors.

The PR firm refused to give up the documentation. The NRA sued. Apparently, North is reped by the PR Firm and billed NRA big bucks for North hosted aho. The show was not forth coming.

North treated and demanded Wayne LaPierre’s resignation asserting Wayne’s use of NRA funds as inappropriate and sexual hard apparently. North resigned at the Annual meeting.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It make no sense to me that a vendor of ANY organization could be in a position to do what AM tried to do to the NRA.

Further, for a moment, assume that what AM is saying is true. There would be a better way to handle a matter such as this . Rather than a more subtle manner, AM chose a very public manner without regard to the consequences to the NRA. This tells me they don't give a flying f$#k about the NRA. That tells me a lot.

I know that many get annoyed by the constant solicitations for money. I know that many get annoyed by the money that the NRA spends. My friends, politics ain't cheap. The average person would be astounded to learn just how Washington really works and how much it costs.

I have personally walked the halls of the Congressional Office Building on numerous occasions. We , at times , get hired to lobby for certain tax law changes. At times on other matters. In 1986, we sought to get a single simple sentence into the Tax Reform Act of 1986. All this sentence did was stop certain IRS audit an collection activity for a one year period. We were successful. The cost exclusive of our fees was $185,000 for a single sentence 33 year ago!

Personally, I don't give a damn how much they pay Wayne La Pierre or Chris Cox nor how much they spend. I believe if it wasn't for them, we would have president Hillary along with a host of issues I don't want to deal with.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Larry said. I never understood until recently how important it is to contribute to candidates you support. Believe me, your enemies certainly are and so must you.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may or may not like what the NRA does, but Larry is correct. We would be in a shitstorm without the NRA.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do care how Wayne LaPierre uses NRA funds. Just like I care how my business partner uses our company funds. I do believe Wayne LaPierre is given too much rope by the NRA.

I do believe the NRA is the entity that keeps the wolves in the woods and not in the House, but that does not mean Wayne LaPierre is without reproach.

Wayne LaPierre’s comments calling federal offices thugs in wake of Waco caused then President Bush to surrender his life membership in the NRA. President Bush said at the time that he knew one of the men and he was a fine man.

Whatever you think of Waco, Wayne LaPierre’s dialogue causing a setting US President to leave his membership is not good leadership.

Now if one thinks that if a President resigns his membership over that. That is a problem with the President that is fine. I see it as a problem with Wayne LaPierre.

That Russian mole thing was real. I have my own personal/political issues with the NRA.

I do not care how much the NRA spends on lobbying. Spend it all. That is what money is for. I have a problem with misappropriation of funds for personal use which is what has been alleged. Particularly, when they are asking me for money.

Better way to handle it yes. But this noise has been around Wayne LaPierre for twenty years.

No, the NRA should not have to sue to see what they are paying the PR Firm. I hope the NRA is awarded attorney fees. But Wayne LaPierre has been complicit in the PR Firm charging and billing extravagantly for years.

Support the NRA. Give what you can. However, an audit is long past overdue of executive leadership.

One program the NRA does that I love and find of great value is the scholastic shooting program. Using the NRA we brought this program to my local high school. How many of us have read or been on shooting teams on days gone by. In New York State, Democrats are losing their minds over schools with NRA sponsorship bringing youth to be demystified to firearms, and responsible firearms ownership. Good things are happening, but crisis does demand self awareness and correction.

I have been as even handed as I can. Each must make their own decisions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the 2017 tax return, WLP made $1.366 million in 2017. I have zero problem with that. Misappropriation is a different story.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
made 1.3 but took home 5 mil, from his NRA employee savings payout.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That employee saving payout was money that WLP saved from his earning over the years. It can hardly be counted as additional compensation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now if one thinks that if a President resigns his membership over that. That is a problem with the President that is fine. I see it as a problem with Wayne LaPierre.

You should read President Bush's biography.

It is soon apparent he wasn't even close to a gun guy and truly was a deep state, new world order President.

Willing to sell the USA down the tube.

No lost losing his membership it was just give me your vote while I screw you.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
correct Larry.
it just seems like a lot of cash to be taking home when your running an organization that relies on donations from guy's making like 30-K a year.
I also understand Wayne is not the top earner there.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
correct Larry.
it just seems like a lot of cash to be taking home when your running an organization that relies on donations from guy's making like 30-K a year.
I also understand Wayne is not the top earner there.

Of the numerous people listed in the tax return, WLP’s compensation is the highest. He exceeds the next highest by over $250k. It would be extremely unusual for those not listed to earn more than those listed.

WLP is a high powered guy. He has accomplished a hell of a lot like him or not. People with his skills and talents are going to make a lot of money. It is a tough job.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see Wayne given his parachute and kicked out the door. In my opinion, his heedlessly shrill attacks and embrace of divisive figures have led millions who had little opinion one way or another about the NRA to come to believe it is a vicious, right-wing organization.
The NRA's demonization of its perceived enemies in the pages of the American Rifleman and elsewhere may fool 12-year-olds, but not any thinking adult.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that isn't a lot different than how the NRA is portrayed by Hillary and others on the Left.

IMO if the NRA was putting up a harder fight and introducing bills to get back some of the stuff we have lost since Bill Clintons residency, they would receive a LOT more funds.

I believe they have lost touch with the grass roots working people of America, and are just barely capable of keeping upper middle class Americans informed of anything.[other then their address for donations]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I respect everyone’s opinion here. I might not always agree with those opinions but I respect them.

The gun owners in America and the NRA members in particulars have been under attack that can only be described as vicious. How do you all expect the NRA to respond? Do you know that there are members who are dropping out because they don’t believe the NRA has fought hard enough? That is a fact.

I think many here underestimate the job that the NRA is undertaking. Keeping Hillary out of the White House was certainly major. It took monumental efforts. However, they have to monitor every single state and local jurisdiction for potential law changes and elections. It is a massive undertaking.

It is an overwhelming task the NRA is undertaking. If it weren’t for them , all of our lives would be different and in my opinion not for the better.

Personally, I could care less that WLP made $1.366 million given what he does, what he has accomplished, the size organization he runs and the constant BS and deaths threats he has to put up with. If he has misappropriated money, that is a different story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey lamar....remind us all of another organization fighting for our gun rights as actively as the NRA? Do you think there's a reason the NRA is the #1 enemy of the left and anti-gun groups? Get a clue man.

Like it or not, lobbying is how things work in our gov't.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I respect everyone’s opinion here. I might not always agree with those opinions but I respect them.

The gun owners in America and the NRA members in particulars have been under attack that can only be described as vicious. How do you all expect the NRA to respond? Do you know that there are members who are dropping out because they don’t believe the NRA has fought hard enough? That is a fact.

I think many here underestimate the job that the NRA is undertaking. Keeping Hillary out of the White House was certainly major. It took monumental efforts. However, they have to monitor every single state and local jurisdiction for potential law changes and elections. It is a massive undertaking.

It is an overwhelming task the NRA is undertaking. If it weren’t for them , all of our lives would be different and in my opinion not for the better.

Personally, I could care less that WLP made $1.366 million given what he does, what he has accomplished, the size organization he runs and the constant BS and deaths threats he has to put up with. If he has misappropriated money, that is a different story.

I second every word of this.

The NRA cannot introduce bills. They can ghost write bills for members of Congress to introduce. It was not the NRA’s fault suppressors were not remov d from the NFA Act. That rest solely with Paul Ryan. I do not own a suppressor, probably never will. I do support efforts to make ownership easier for you. I am always against arbitrariness which is where we find ourselves with suppressors. I am just using this as a clear example, not only example. I am critical of NRA leadership. However, I do try to be fair about what the can do, do not do, and cannot do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton Sir they do a lot more than that.

I live in a county with less than 5,000 people.
I bet we have a pretty nice gun range compared to most other places due to a lot of work from our membership.
annnd [I know you don't start a sentence with and]
but and,, quite a bit of funds that come from NRA grants.
they do a bit more than propose stuff in the halls of congress.
in this state they aren't dumping cash into fighting silly gun laws or sponsoring posters for this that and the other so it is available for promoting shooting and shooting sports.

most people don't even know they can get grants from the NRA to fix up their gun ranges.

my posts are geared towards pointing out what the everyday joe knows or hears about what they are doing.

the GOA organization can use some funds too, they focus more on what most of the guy's not happy with the NRA would like to see done.
they just don't have the membership or funding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In looking up info on the GOA, the reality is that they are insignificant. Their total revenues are just over $2 million. While they have a fairly large membership, they simply don’t generate enough money to accomplish anything significant.

Don’t misunderstand me. I am not saying they are good or bad. When one wants to play in the big leagues, it takes real money. That is a reality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great discussion!

Face it, Wayne has put his life into the
NRA and our battles for ? 40 years I think
it was written. To me, that's well worth what
he's being paid or collecting.

IF he's grafting any, then that should be a big kick in the ass. What concerns me most about
the NRA and Wayne is: WTF are we/they going to do when he's gone regardless of how. Face it, the man's 70 now or soon will be.
He won't last forever., I do wish him the best of luck in living long enough to enjoy the funds he's gathered up.

Who is there to take his place? None I'm aware of at this time.

Far as the constant requests for donations.
Years ago I sent a few of them back to:

"STOP SENDING ME THESE CONSTANT DUNS FOR DONATIONS!"
They did, I haven't gotten one in over 15 years. I don't have near the funds most of
you guys do, yet I donate to ILA $50 a month.
Most months that leaves me short. But to me it's well worth it to have such great backing
for our gun rights.

I wasn't aware of AM bullshit, don't know as I'd ever heard of them til this fiasco hit.
North fk'd up by trying to derail Wayne that's
all and he got the best thing that could have
happened as a result too.

Until a year or so ago GOA and the 2A Foundation sent me duns nearly every month.
Guess they finally got the message. "I ONLY donate to NRA-ILA". I always filled in and mailed their dumb asses surveys, same as I do
the pols and such.

If not for Wayne and the NRA, we'd been up shit crik long ago on our guns and 2nd Amendment.

Lamar: Right on man. Our club of 1000 members, has been encroached on two sides by housing. Several years ago some of the new neighbors filed complaints about shooting noise. We had a local state senator come out and explained all we needed to do was file with/thru him for a Grandfather's clause on the noise since the club had been going since 1973 housing wasn't started until around 1990, long after the club was going strong. We did, he got it passed. We're protected now. Along the process we had to put up a fence to keep folks out. No way we could afford that for 160 acres. Club board asked NRA to help finance it. Max per grant is $5000, we've gotten at least three of those I'm aware of. Might be more I don't know about. Damned sure helped put up half mile of 6ft chain link. Ranch land on the other two sides and well fenced with 5 strand barbed wire. Club requires everyone to be a NRA member, so they gain it back over time. Good point you brought up.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When H.W. Bush(41) gave up his membership in NRA over a few choice words by Wayne that fit the situation that made me think a lot less of the elder Bush. There are a lot of thugs(deep staters) in the u.s. government; choir boy Comey and his buds for instance! H.W. Bush was a whimp that wouldn't keep his promises, remember read my lips? Thank God for Trump, I love a man that fights back!

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know the last big dust up in the NRA brought about something very good which was Charlton Heston which really helped us and the NRA from where they were at the time.

These kinds of things always happens in organizations especially where power and money are involved. Lets just hope another good thing comes from this.

A couple of caveats are I hope there are no willful or significant misappropriations. And I find it somewhat hard to accept that the NRA knowing full well The State of New York's tack over the last 20 plus years or more has not made some other efforts in corporate structuring and domiciling before now.

I don't think the NRA is truly going away anytime soon, but they need to get this behind them and then make good moves in both membership and refreshed appeal, and their corporate dealings.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I 100% agree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone read the recent article in the NRA in the New Yorker Magazine?

New Yorker Article

Written by a guy who has fundamentally anti-gun and critical of the NRA.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting article to say the least.

While I do not doubt there are issues, I think some of the things mentioned are unadulterated bull s~%t. I say this from my personal involvement in certain things.

They do have vast swings in their results from year to year. I do not comprehend the influence that the P.R. firm has/had. That makes no sense to me at all.

As far as the related party transactions, an RPT in and of itself doesn’t mean anything. I deal with this every day of my life. It is easy to have omissions even when trying to do the right thing. These may or may not be okay.

Look into who wrote it. Little doubt there is a bias against the NRA. Having said that, I do not doubt there are issues. Just how severe, I do not know.