Find
Notify
Tools

My 2004 spring bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Just wanted to show you my bear I shot last Thursday night. I was just out filling baits when I came accross this bugger sneaking away from a site. I got within about 30-40 yards of him and when he held up the only way to shoot through the thick brush was to lean hard to the right and crouch down about half way. Finnaly I could get a good look at his front half and put a 350gr. magtip from my .416 Taylor into its right shoulder. (By the way when shooting from a position like this remember that your eye is about an inch and a half closer to the scope, Ouch) I have had bears drop in their tracks before but this one didn't even flinch. It was just like he was struck in the brain. The bullet exited out the base of the neck on the left side spraying blood for about three feet.

I'm the one on the right (6'2") and Rick, one of the owners of the outfitter I guide for on the left. In our thick cover it's good to have friends for help when the real work, draging, starts. By the way, sorry for the construction in the background. It was getting dark and needed a light background.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear I have been loading some Mag tips in my 416 taylor. Have you shot other big critters with them and how have the preformed for you. I haven't had it long enough to use it on big game yet. This fall well bloody it on something decent.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
First big game with it. Only shot varmints with it before this. When dressing and skinning I found parts of bone the size of my thumb in the chest cavity, and the exit hole was about one inch so I would say that if one could find the bullet somewhere it did not over expand. On paper the holes will touch most of the time. When I sighted it in for 50 yards ( spend a lot of time in the brush) sometimes it was hard to tell if the second round hit because there was one slightly oval hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else just getting a box with a little red X? I would really like to see the bear.

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't see the pic either.

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
It worked last night. Hmm Hopefully I've fixed that little problem. Can you see it now?

Here I'll also try to include a picture when we had him drug out. Sorry it was getting dark by then.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Nope, no images. Might be because the site is password protected. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
NB,

Try hosting your photo on Sony's Image Station. Inquiring minds want to see your bear. Me because I am hunting there in September!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Mucho better. Good bear. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Tried a different host. If this don't work I'mm just as dumb as my wife thinks.

Aspen Hill,
What area of NB are you hunting?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like Area 7 for moose and bear.

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear! Would you mind posting some pics of the rifle and any close up shots of the entry/exit you might have taken?

If you have any insight on ways to find these guys when you aren't able to use bait (they won't let me in California) I would appreciate hearing them.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote