Find
Notify
Tools

2009 Season Pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
Had a great time here in Colorado this season. I ended up helping Aaron Nielson of Global Hunting Resources and Sean Sander of Royal Mountain Adventures. Aaron and I have a number of mutual friends and have talked on the phone before but had never met face to face until September. Long story short, it really was one of the most enjoyable seasons I have ever had. I met some great people, hunted some fantastic country and was able to knock down a few gaggers! All of the hunts were fair chase

First deer was a Kansas whitetail that was shot on the early muzzleloader hunt. This buck grosses 186 4/8"

I had a muzzleloader hunt here in Colorado and we were hunting a large, mid 180's, mule deer and were fogged on. The fog started to break one day around noon and I found a huge whitetail. He would have grossed 180" or better if his good side were doubled but when he turned his head he had no points on a huge palmated beam on his right side. I will try to post a spotting scope pic later. We made a run on him anyway and ended up killing one of his running buddies 2 days later. We named the deer my hunter killed "Dumpster" because he had so much trash. This deer has 18 scoreable points and grosses 175"

Finally it was the first rifle season and I was hunting the big mule deer we were trying to kill until we got sidetracked by those whitetail bucks We called him "Back Pocket" because we could normally find him and we would ktry to kill him on the last day if we couldnt find anything better. Well, last day came around and we went in and killed him. This deer grosses 185"

I neede to upload more pictures of the 2 big deer we killed this past week. They are a couple gaggers! I'll post these up within the hour

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some awesome Bucks, congrats Cool

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
beer

Nice.

Thanks bud!

Here are pics of the two bucks we killed this past week.

The first deer is a buck I named the "Twine Buck" due to the massive amounts of orange bailing twine he was packing for about a month. I would glass this deer and know it was him even with bad glassing conditions due to the twine. I had a bowhunter miss this deer and we killed him on the late rifle hunt. He is just shy of 30" wide and has a 195" frame and 10" of trash for a total gross of 205" When we killed this deer is was almost 20 below Zero, it was MISERABLE!

This is probably my favorite deer of the year! They are all memorable but this deer is unreal! First of all, the gentleman I was hunting with had just let his buddy kill the 205" with no reservations! He was just as happy as if he had killed it himself! He was just happy everyday to be hunting. Then we find this deer I had never seen before and we couldnt kill him the night we found him. It was a LONG night! I called him mid 190's that night and the next morning told my hunter that he was low to mid 190's, maybe not quite as good as I originally thought. I was WRONG! He was all I thought he was and then some! THis deer grosses 200 6/8" and will net 195". I dont know if people realize how hard it is for a clean 4x4 with browtines to gross over 200". This is the deer of a lifetime for sure

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Great bucks!

So how big were the pens??? Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Great bucks!

So how big were the pens??? Wink

lol I bet they were quite a bit bigger that the ones from the other post. I hope all is well with you and your family this Holiday season Tony! Merry Christmas bud

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I slighted you on the score of the KS. whitetail! I was there, you think I would have known better. And I accidentally listed it as a Colorado Deer, so man I really screwed the pooch on that one.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
You were definitely in on some real monsters...congrats on a super fall...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim - Don't congratulate him, man it just goes straight to his head!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow...what a season! thumb

Congrats! beer

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Monsters for sure!!!

Congrats,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Those mule deer are unreal.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Real nice muleys in the updates!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very nice bucks! Congrats to all involved.

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Great bucks for sure even though they had names to them and you knew exactly where to go on the last day to get Mr. back pocket. Sounds like fishing in a fish bowl Roll Eyes But if your hunters were fine shooting deer with names I am happy for them as well. Yep wide open fields and really tough hunting I bet too! Now that is real hunting coffee

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Clements:
Great bucks for sure even though they had names to them and you knew exactly where to go on the last day to get Mr. back pocket. Sounds like fishing in a fish bowl Roll Eyes But if your hunters were fine shooting deer with names I am happy for them as well. Yep wide open fields and really tough hunting I bet too! Now that is real hunting coffee

Spot on! I'm sure they were ok with shooting deer with names, they named them. We were also shooting high powered rifles on 3 of them. The other 2 were shot with smokepoles and you and I both know that those are hardly "primitive" weapons anymore, hell, they are accurate at fairly long range these days.

At least the last buck pictured will be eligible for Boone and Crockett if the hunter decides to enter him middlefinger

Drummond

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow drummond looks like you are making some real friends here!

Hey very nice bucks, exceptional!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Oh Mr. big Cow Ranch hunter doesn't like to be questioned on his post? Was it that the hunting was not tough or that they had names?? I thought you were okay with opinions and stupid comments as you clearly showed? kiss my moon

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh Mr. big Cow Ranch hunter doesn't like to be questioned on his post? Was it that the hunting was not tough or that they had names?? I thought you were okay with opinions and stupid comments as you clearly showed? kiss my moon

I assure you I have no problem with your opinions and comments. In fact, they are pretty much spot on and I believe I mentioned that earlier.

I'll be more than happy to compare "fish bowls" if you like, I GUARANTEE mines bigger than yours Big Grin

Drummond

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
fishing Okay good enough! Its the holiday season so lets just be happy that we can hunt and enjoy the outdoors. My main fish bowl is in Tanzania if you really want some good fishing Wink

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fishing Okay good enough! Its the holiday season so lets just be happy that we can hunt and enjoy the outdoors. My main fish bowl is in Tanzania if you really want some good fishing Wink

Sounds good to me!!! I would LOVE to hunt the big fish bowl across the pond! Maybe we can do that one day!

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to you and your family

Drummond

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Great deer obviously taken on a great hunt. Drummond.....kindly drop me a PM with details for next season? I am intrigued!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drummond & Adam - Come on boys, don't kiss and make up now, this is just FREE ENTERTAINMENT!!

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is Ray Atkinson when we need him? He would have put both of you to shame with his deer from central Tx or wherever he took his pics.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Man those are some awesome bucks! Nice job.

Josh

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, Drummond is the "Man". He guided 7-8 hunts for us this fall, and managed to drag in some pretty good bucks. Unless I am incorrect, he now has guided 22 mule deer over 200", not too bad!! Thanks Drum, we appreciate it.

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I am GUESSING you need some preference points to Hunt where you guide?????If not you wouldnt happen to have one called Big Dummy to guide me to next season would you????? dancing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER - "Have one called Big Dummy to guide me" What does that mean???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It means I am interested in specifics of the Hunt and do you need preference points to hunt that area????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
In all honesty, Drummond is the "Man". He guided 7-8 hunts for us this fall, and managed to drag in some pretty good bucks. Unless I am incorrect, he now has guided 22 mule deer over 200", not too bad!!Aaron

Not too shabby for an internet troll! dancing stir

Drum, I want you to guide me next year in CO. I put in for a point this year, so if the good Lord is willing, maybe we can go "fishin'" for a toad like one of these!

I was a little excited about this hunt last year when I put in my application, but now .. oh boy. I can't wait!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
In all honesty, Drummond is the "Man". He guided 7-8 hunts for us this fall, and managed to drag in some pretty good bucks. Unless I am incorrect, he now has guided 22 mule deer over 200", not too bad!!Aaron

Not too shabby for an internet troll! dancing stir

Drum, I want you to guide me next year in CO. I put in for a point this year, so if the good Lord is willing, maybe we can go "fishin'" for a toad like one of these!

I was a little excited about this hunt last year when I put in my application, but now .. oh boy. I can't wait!

Thanks bud! Hearing "Internet troll" makes me miss ole Ray Atkinson a little bit, not a lot at all but a little bit. He always made me chuckle.

As for the deer, we were pretty damn lucky! I'd rather be lucky than good though! These bucks are proof that you don't have to be a great guide to find em, you just have to hunt great country. Hope to see you next year bud, the only guarantee I can make is that we'll have a blast!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great bucks there--job well done---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
damn those are nice deer, that last one is my dream buck as I love those big typicals; how many pref points are required to draw for this area, or are landowner tags available??

great work, Happy Holidays...

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig - The tags are drawn generally with 2 pts, and yes Landowner vouchers are available from time to time. This unit we do only 2 rifle hunts per year in December.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice work drummond
didn't get to chase as many BIG bucks as you
but it looks like my hair lasted longer rotflmo
best of holidays to you ole'man!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pm'd you Aaron...

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote