New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .243 Win bullet for...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mountain lion? I was told this round would be sufficient for my upcoming trip, but which factory loaded round? 85 grain TSX (I'm a fan of the TSX in my larger bores, but have never tried it in a .24 caliber), 100 grain something or other?

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 243, my wife and I have had great results on whitetail and mule deer and her on Antelope with the 95 grain Nosler Partition.
I would use it or the 100 grain Nosler Partition.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ilike the partition as well, but there ain't no way I'm taking a .243 on a Mtn Lion hunt unless it's some kind of special hunt where you will be making headshots from over 50 yards--and then I still would use something more--JMO

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dthfrmbv

Something on the line of a 30-30 has been the standard for cougars for years but if you have a 243 and are definitely going to use it. I'd go along with the Nosler Partition recommendation. You might get both an entrance and exit hole but the holes will be small and everything in between should be wrecked. With a standard factory bullet at the very close ranges you'll be shooting the lion I'd be afraid of bullet blow up with no penetration.

Good Luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Ilike the partition as well, but there ain't no way I'm taking a .243 on a Mtn Lion hunt unless it's some kind of special hunt where you will be making headshots from over 50 yards--and then I still would use something more--JMO

Good luck--Don

Why?

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also go with the partition....explosive front end for killing the cat but a rear end that will make sure to not just explode the whole thing upon entrance.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather has taken many Mountain Lion over the years. He stated that they are very fragile boned animals. He thought a 22 magnum in the lungs was plenty. They will stay up in the tree and bleed out before falling to the ground. The 243 would be idea, however, if your following a pack of hound I personaly would carry a hand gun.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh suck it up cougers aren't very big. The .243 should be plenty big enough, I've seen moose dropped with a lunger from a .243. I'm suprised nobody told you that you should have a .375 h&h to hunt for couger. Big Grin

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I might worry about with a 243 for Mountain Lion is if I had to shoot through a few leaves and twigs. What other light weight rifles do you have?

I think the ideal rifle would be a 44 Mag Trapper with a 240SP or the Speer 270 SP.
[Maybe I think that because I have one but I have killed a lot of deer with a 44 Mag Rifle. It works plenty good.]

A Marlin 45/70 guide gun with the 300 grain Nosler Partition would be good too.

This might be an excuse to get a new rifle. clap thumb Big Grin
If I ever do a MT. Lion hunt I would use my FA 475 Linebaugh, just because I have it, I think a 44 Mag Revolver would be about perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big time fan of the TX line and have used them quite a bit in my 6/06 (both the 85 and the 95).

I would with absolutely no hesitation use it for my load for El Gato in a heart beat.

Hands down my choice!

Secondly would come the 85 or 95 Nozler Pt.

Good luck

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .222 Rem and a .257 WTBY also. I thought the .257 WTBY would be too fast and the .222 Rem would be too light for my like-ings.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dare you to find a .243 factory load or compentent handload that will not kill a couger as quickly (or more quickly, provided a light, frangible bullet is used) as any larger caliber. They weigh about as much as a small deer, and sitting in a tree are hardly a trial for any centerfire rifle. Take whatever shoots reliably in your .243. Your ammunition will be the least of your worries.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one in Wyoming with a 6NN Remington pushing a 105 graunSpeer Hotcor. He was walking in broad daylight in a field that hay had recently been bailed on. I waited for the perfect shot and hit him just behind the shoulder. The bullet made an exit hole 3 inches across and he ran maybe 20 yards before going down. He was a large speciman weighing a bit over 100 pounds. They are long thin animals with thin skin. Id be more worried about damaging the skin myself.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
Ive seen plenty shot with a 22lr and 22 mag. Your 222 would be more than enough IMO.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Remington 722 in .223 Remington loaded with 55 grain V-Maxes. Hit em in the chest and they fall out of trees fine. Biggest I have shot was about a 150 pound male that measured right at 7 ft. He fell down fine. I carry a .357 Mag loaded with Hollow Points as a back up. (Smith 686)

My father uses a Ruger Carbine in .44 Mag. That works just fine also.

Use a bullet that won't ruin the cape. I use a .223 because of that, and use a bullet that frangments easily so there is no exit hole.

I would use the .222 you have. You will do fine. Load it with a Ballistic tip or a V-Max and shoot the cat in the chest. He will go down.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maryland......Your .243 with factory loads, 100 gr bullet is more than enough for a lion. They are quite easy too kill once you have one treed. That will kill em dead. Congrats on your lion hunt!! ...........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierrabravo45
Nice Cat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Love those hunting pics. Sierrabravo45 thanks for sharing. I haven't shot any Mt Lions, but I have seen a few deer and elk shot with a .243. Myself, I would go with the 85 gr. TSX. I thing it will penetrate a cat on any shot you are going to take with it, and the exit hole shouldn't look like it was made by a grenade. That said, .243 cal. 58 gr v-max's are instant, drop in their tracks, death on the dozen or so coyotes I've shot with them.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote