THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    In-ear or behind-ear muzzle blast protection

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In-ear or behind-ear muzzle blast protection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunting season approaches. At the shooting range I use solid ear plugs plus passive ear muffs to protect my hearing. In the past I have used my solid ear plugs when hunting, and they work. . . . But I want to be able to hear normally - I can live with "enhanced" hearing - while having instant muzzle blast protection that approaches the protection afforded by my solid plugs.

One solution I reject completely is to acquire muffs incorporating electronic blast cut-off. . . . I will not consider these. Less obtrusive devices, such as in-ear and/or behind-the-ear devices would be acceptable, but I will not consider devices having custom molded ear canals whose fit I would be unable to adjust as my ear canal changes over time. . . . Another "but": User reviews I have found for such devices have pertained 100 percent to the hearing aid or "enhancement" facet. So far, I have not read a single review (Amazon.com) that evaluated noise cut-off relative to shooting.

Devices I have considered have prices from under $20.00/pair (chump change) through nearly $300.00/one unit. I cannot identify a solution within this price range although this does not mean a solution is not available. I have no idea whether a significantly higher price range will afford devices that will do what I want done.
Since I have successfully hunted for decades with plugs that suppress all sound, forcing me to rely on vision only, I do not need to buy something just to be buying. Times change. Technology improves. And I have not been paying attention to improvements.

Those of you who have solved blast reduction the way I want to solve it - please, PLEASE, PLEASE furnish me with details.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some of the SureFire earplugs.

I have been using them for several years.
They look funny, but they are comfortable to wear.

They come in small, medum, and large, depending on the size of "the hole" in your ear.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote