Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Biltong
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone here make moose biltong? I have just made my 1st batch and it is pretty good. Reminds me of home. Now all I need is some Rugby and a cold Castle to round it off.
Biltong recipes are available on the net.

Cheers
Allan

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't biltong what we to the south would call jerky??
If it is and you have teen aged sons, keep the stuff under lock and key and ration it out a bit at a time.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biltong is a different form of jerky that, depending on the region of Africa we are talking about, is usually consumed while relatively wet. If you want to keep the kids out of it, just leave it wet enough to disgust them and ENJOY!
I made some out of a whitetail last year . . . my neighbors in Northern Arizona though I was a bit odd (well, to be fair to them, I was drying it on the chain link fence in my back yard since the conditions were right).

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main difference is that jerky is cooked/smoked and bilton is air dried.
WONDERFUL unfortunatly here in ohio when it is warm enough to try to make it is also way to humid to even think about it
I'd love to find someone that makes it here in the states.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The fly shit must give it the unique flavor.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You dont need warm to make biltong, only dry.I hang it in the root cellar which has a constant temp of around 2 celsius. With outside temp of -15 c I can be pretty sure the air is dry enough. It does take about 7 days to dry though.

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RMK,

Vinegar solves this problem nicely. In the five or six days mine was hanging, I saw not one insect anywhere near the stuff. Of course, that might just mean my biltong recipe isn't even deemed suitable by bugs.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
uuuhhh, I didn't cook mine. I soaked it in a rub, rolled it out with a rolling pin and then hung it over a open smoke of green willow. After it got a kinda glaze to it, I hung it on the clothesline in the hot Oklahoma sun. I put quite a bit of pepper on it after I took it out of the rub so there was never any concern about any small black dots on the meat.
The smoke and the pepper was supposed to keep the flys off.
This was done from instructions by some Cheyenne friends of mine.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tetachuck or anyone else,
My basement is around 65 f and now about 40% humidity I am concerned with it being too warm to dry properly. I know when they make it in RSA it is in a dark room with a fair amount of ventilation should I put a fan on mine? The dryer boxes I have seen the plans for use a lightbulb to provide a bit of heat.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote