Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted
Ok here's the deal. I live in DFW and my dad lives in Houston. We're looking for a couple of decent "day-hunt" deals for this white tail season. Any suggestions? He doesn't have the time or money for a lease, and frankly my job is just too busy to spend the time on one. So here I am Smiler

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with the Nail Ranch near Albany TX. I have not hunted with them, but have heard good things about their deer and pig hunts. My lease is just north of there.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fusino

You can't even book a guided hunt on the Nail. They have so many repeat and celeb clients that place is way locked up. Contact Jerry Huffaker in Abilene 1-325-672-2778. He does a lot of contract taxidermy for commercial deer ranches so he may know of an opportunity for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13002 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Since it sounds like the Nail is out of the question there is also Stasney's Cook Ranch in the area. Further out, Mesquite Country Outfitters hunts the very large Pitchfork Ranch.

Wendell Reich (a booking agent who posts here) also has a place a place in the area. I believe that Wendell is still in Tanzania right now but he might be able to find a hunt for you.

None of these are day hunts, but are guided package hunts.

It seems from what I have read that not very many people are happy with day hunts.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fusino
Mark has a good idea. Jerry can probably help you out. He does a lot of taxidermy work for the Nail too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can expect $3500+for all the above, Nail, Stasney, also Hashknife etc. They are as one poster has said NOT "day hunt" places but deer "ranches".

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
You can expect $3500+for all the above, Nail, Stasney, also Hashknife etc. They are as one poster has said NOT "day hunt" places but deer "ranches".

I agree, unless you are able to book a management or cull hunt. The website for Wendell's place says he offers them. I do not know about the others (I have seen pictures of bucks listed as management deer on the Mequite Country Outfitters' website). I have not hunted any of them, although I have looked at the Pitchfork, hunted next door to the Nail, talked to the manager at the Cook ranch, and talked to Wendell about his place.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell emailed me some deer pictures from one of his game cameras about a month ago. He has some very impressive deer on his ranch.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Wendell emailed me some deer pictures from one of his game cameras about a month ago.

Here is a thread with links to some of his pictures.