THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Free range blackbuck/exotics in Texas recommendations?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free range blackbuck/exotics in Texas recommendations?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I might be going to Texas for business in April 2014. I've had a hankering for stalking blackbuck for some years.

Does anyone have any recommendations for free-range exotics, especially blackbuck? I'll be in the San Antonio area.

Thank you in advance.

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Contact Wade Derby. He'll take good care of you.

Crosshairs Consulting

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I've dropped him a line.

Is it possible to do self-guided for exotics in Texas?

Machiavelli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Cody. I will help him out with a place or two.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wade is from CA. What does he know about TX! Smiler

I always knew you were a "lurker" Wade. Hope all is well with you.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you are still your feisty self Wendell! Best to you.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are essentially no freerange blackbucks. Blackbucks are not jumpers and can be held by ordinary low sheep/goat fences. The Texas Hill Country is mostly fenced with such netwire low fences, therefore if a blackbuck is in a pasture within such fence it is, by definition, not freerange. Just like livestock, blackbucks do escape fences through holes and water gaps and wander onto land on which they were not placed; however, they are rarely ever freeranging since, sooner or later, they are effectively contained by fence. That being said, there are a lot of places with blackbuck populations that, though confined, are amply sporting to hunt.

The ranches in the San Antonio area offering blackbuck hunting probably number in the hundreds. The quality of the hunt will undoubtedly vary, but if you'll look around and check references you'll find what you're seeking.

By the way, I think that blackbuck makes one of the most striking of trophies.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies. All of this is most valuable. I realize the fence issue with blackbucks in Texas, I'm not a died in the wool "no fences period" hunter. I'd just a real sporting hunt and not put and take/high-fence type of operation. I hear about about how attractive blackbuck are. I hunt a fair deal of Indian game here in Hawaii and I've wanted to stalk blackbuck and add to my axis deer and Asian partridge/francolin collection Wink

Machiavelli

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
There are essentially no freerange blackbucks. Blackbucks are not jumpers and can be held by ordinary low sheep/goat fences. The Texas Hill Country is mostly fenced with such netwire low fences, therefore if a blackbuck is in a pasture within such fence it is, by definition, not freerange. Just like livestock, blackbucks do escape fences through holes and water gaps and wander onto land on which they were not placed; however, they are rarely ever freeranging since, sooner or later, they are effectively contained by fence.

Are you reading my emails to Chasseur? Cool

Thanks for bringing this up. All Blackbuck are somewhat fenced. There are boundaries all over the place that they can not cross.

Still, they are a challenging trophy under most situations, provided it isn't in a small pasture.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Make sure and get a reasonable priced hunt. Prices are all over the map. Do your homework and you can get a trophy BB for $1,500.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote