THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Antlerless buck (early shed) and turkeys

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antlerless buck (early shed) and turkeys
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Yesterday (Dec 14th) I was doing a muzzleloader antlerless deer hunt. At 9:30am spotted a deer approaching and glassed it to confirm that it was antlerless. It presented a shot and dropped it DRT at about 60 yards. It proved to be buck that had already shed it's antlers, which is ~unusual as in this area (southern Michigan) as bucks routinely carry antlers into early January. The pedicles were kind of scabbed over and dry to the touch. It also had some visible injuries to it's hip and brisket area in the form of missing hair and abrasions.

This was part of a management deer hunt with biologists conducting a study on all the deer taken complete with ageing, weighing, and inspecting the deer. Proved to be 4 1/2 years old, weighed 162 pounds with no fat. The external injuries were consistent with being hit by a car (on the ass) and possible road rash to the brisket. No broken bones but there were some internal organ injury (consistent with bruising) that the bullet didn't cause.

When I saw the deer it was slowly walking through cover but at the time I didn't think anything unusual (a whitetail buck walking slowly) nor did I watch it long enough to note anything like that. After getting hit by a car the body went into survival mode and dumped the antlers early.

Also interesting was that I remained in my blind for awhile after shooting the deer and a flock of turkeys came along. They apparently were curious about the downed deer and went over to check it out.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them shed as early as middle of Nov. and as late as april.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I shot a doe once that was feeding in the middle of a flock of turkeys of about 50-60 head. At the shot, she dropped dead with her legs running as typically happens. All the turkeys surrounded the downed deer and some of the gobblers started flogging the doe. They beat up on that doe for probably 3-4 minutes before loosing interest. They flogged it enough to rip hair our all over her body that was available. It was an odd afternoon for sure, and I've never seen it again.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote