New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packable Tripod
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a pair of Leica 10-15 power binos and am looking for a quality tripod to use with them. I want it to be as light as possible and compact for hauling in a backpack. Any suggestions?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Others will suggest specific brands and models. All I'll say, is that I want one I can comfortably sit behind in the field. The mini tripods that you can use on a table or while lying are impractical in the field, in spite of their light weight.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
I use a Manfrotto tri-pod for my spooting scope when sheep hunting, you can attach a camera or binocs to it as well. You can buy lighter and smaller ones but the one I use http://www.manfrotto.com/page2051.html
is adjustable so you can lay,sit or stand behind it and it isn't too heavy and it is very good quality (though not cheap $120 US I think)

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard the one I use for my 14 Swaro's is a 444 Slick with a Jim White adapter for it. It is an awesome set up.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark

What is the weight of your set-up (tripod and head)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to weigh it, I can find a scale tomorrow if you like?

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Manfrotto, for a backpack sized tripod with excellent stability. The cost is reasonable, at around $110-120. I prefer to use the 714B with the integral head; makes a shorter, more compact package. The head is not interchangeable, but haven't found the need. weighs about 2.5-3#, and will fit inside my Badlands 2800 with room to spare.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard, for a little different perspective take a look at:
http://www.ray-vin.com/

I have seen several in use at our range, they are really well made. I know a sniper in the marines who used one while on duty, and wouldn't have anything else.

I just ordered one myself.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote