New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you take the shot - 4?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You have been given permission to Hunt an old Plantation or Farm with a lot of acreage. During the off season, you do Stand Maintenance, keep trails cut back, blast Varmints and assist the Owner with minor work details. The Owner has asked that you help his Guests locate and retrieve any Deer they happen to Kill. Over the years you and the Owner have implemented some Minor Rules & Regulations for the Guests which are to help them have a SAFE and enjoyable, successful Hunt.

The first-time Guests are strategically placed so they can be watched. Everyone is shown a Decoy and asked to keep shots into or out of at least one shoulder, the lungs or directly into the chest. The actual life size decoy surprises some, because they have visions of Whitetail Deer being as big as a horse. And some ask about why the Shoulder Shot is strongly encouraged. You explain it to them and then take them 25 yards behind the Skinning Shed into the Woods so they can witness that you can not see a Deer on the ground 6' away in some places.

One weekend the Owner mentions he has a new acquaintance coming in for the weekend along with some people that have hunted the property before. You are familiar with the new name, but have never met the fellow. Neither the Owner nor you know anything about his actual Hunting ability.

He arrives a bit late for a Friday afternoon Hunt and must stay at the House, because everyone is out Hunting. When everyone comes in he is at first a bit miffed that no one waited on him to arive, but there is little time to give him any attention until the Kills are skinned and the gun cleaning is done.

Over supper some wonderful hunts are related by the other guests and their eyes get BIG as they tell what all they saw during their hunts. The new guy gets in a story or two, and does not appear to be a braggart – which is a good sign.

He is taken out in the dark and run through the Rules & Regs with the Owner by his side. It somehow seems he is not giving his full attention to the process, but perhaps it just seems that way because you are tired.

The next morning everyone is ready to go and as you put them on Stands, you notice the new guy is carrying what appears to be a brand new Weatherby in 300WbyMag. (This is apparently wrong though, just well cared for.) And his camo is crisp, new and unwashed. He gets in the Stand, dons a face mask, puts his hat on and begins adjusting the position of various things in the Stand. You leave him in the dark.

About 30min after legal shooting hours begin, you are watching him from a well hidden Stand, just as is done with all new hunters. A couple of nice Bucks are making their way across a field toward him. You swing the Binoculars in his direction and he is aware of them and waiting. Everything appears to go well from where you are and he drops a nice respectable 8-pointer at about 275 yards just as they are slowly beginning to turn – a classic broad-side shot opportunity, just like had been mentioned the night before.

You wait awhile and eventually go get him and the two of you head out to the Buck. He is grinning from ear to ear. You congratulate him and ask all about the Hunt, just as if you had not been watching. He mentions watching them come toward him (just as you saw them do) and he said they got close enough that he decided to take a Neck Shot, directly in-between the Head and Shoulder. Sure enough that is exactly where the Bullet hit.

When the Skinning starts, he begins talking on a cell phone and moves away from the Skinning Shed and onto the veranda. When everyone is done, he comes walking up with a glass of tea, apologizes for not helping and said he sure appreciated everyone’s help. He gets no more shot opportunities during the afternoon and next day’s hunts.

Kind of a slight modification on Do you take the shot:

If you were the Owner would you invite him back?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope...no help=no play. Seen too many like that.
troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On occasion I have had to clean someone elses deer. Before I start I tell them it will cost them the backstraps.

If the guy in question didn't care about the backstraps, well then I wouldn't mind cleaning his deer again.

People are people, it takes all kinds. YOU can't help it if he doesan't follow through with his responsibility on careing for his game.

To answer your question. Yes, I would invite him back. Maybe the call was a family emergency. Maybe someone was calling to tell him his father just had a heart attack.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The fellow acted safely, made a quick, clean kill and although got sidetracked on the phone seemed ok from what was told. I don't mind cleaning and/or dragging a deer in, as long as the other guest is willing to help others in the group also. I would have him back.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, as the others would have him back based on what I read...but I would make it real clear that he assists with the care of game or it will be his last visit. Remember that there are people who have allergic reactions to animal hair/dander. Perhaps this was his reason that last outing and he was too ashamed to admit it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
... Over the years you and the Owner have implemented some Minor Rules & Regulations for the Guests which are to help them have a SAFE and enjoyable, successful Hunt.

... Everyone is shown a Decoy and asked to keep shots into or out of at least one shoulder, the lungs or directly into the chest. ...
He was not invited back.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like tracking and skinning deer, no matter who shot it.
i get faster and better everytime.
I have people who ask if they can watch and help when im skinning and people who come and get me to help them track.
i am flattered by both.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote