Notify
Tools

Back-up Elk Rifle........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted

Question:
I have my 7RM tuned in w/ 160 grn Nosler Accubonds atop 66 grns R22. She's producing 5 shots less than an inch and scary 3 shot groups for a sporter. This will be my Elk rifle this year however I will carry a back up and leave at camp.

I have several rifles to choose from but, I want this rifle to be somewhat light and the only two light rifles I feel confident w/ are chambered in the good ole 30-06 and 270 Win. The problem is that I've tried some tough bullets through the 06 and the groups just aren't up to par so I've decided the 270 will be my back-up. The 270 is sub MOA w/ many loads and just darn consistent.

I'd like to poll the crowd on which bullet you all would use (assuming they shot great for you).

Sure, may not be the best bone crushers on the market but, assuming a broad side shot was taken and maybe an off side shoulder if possible, which would you carry:

Thanks Fellas

Reloader

Choices:
140 grain Nosler Accubond @ 2900 MV
140 Nosler Partition @ 2900 MV
130 Nosler Partition @ 3000 MV

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I voted 140NP but if I were hunting bull elk w/ a .270, even as a backup, I would want 150gr or even 160gr NP. FWIW, my backup elk rig is a lt.wt. M70 in .280. I feed it the same 160grNP I use in my 7mm Dakota. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An elk is a pretty big animal and doesn't need MOA accuracy. Despite your question, I'd go with the 30-06 loaded with 200gr NP's or Grand Slams. Then you wouldn't have to worry about having to have an ideal shot.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
06' or 270 doesn't make much difference, they have both killed train-loads of elk. i would use the partitions though.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know its not in your survey but as long as I could keep the bullets inside of 4 inches at 300 yards and 6 inches at 400 yards I'd feel VERY confident in the 30-06 with 180s. A 100 yard group tells you next to nothing about an elk rifle except how that gun will group at 100 yards. In my experience bullet dispersion is only rarely linear in its practical application. Translation: a 1" group at 100 doesn't usually mean a 4" group at 400 yards. Besides, a real test of a rifle's capabilities doesn't begin to show up on paper until you shoot it at 300. Try it and see for yourself.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot whatever was the most accurate between the two partitions.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote you left out Barnes TSX.
Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for the 270 and elk, I follow Fred, the 160 grain Nosler partition...

I like the SMP nose better than the SP nose...

Being available in 160 grains is strictly a bonus in my book.. a lot of the earlier partitions were available in the SMP format...

I think that is a much better bullet tip, for opening up.. but everyone wants a Spitzer for the maximum range potential...

I am just glad that Nosler still puts out the SMP in my two favorite partitions in this country... the 160 grain 270 caliber and the 220 grain SMP in the 30 caliber...

I also hord my stock from the NOsler factory seconds shop, which were made for a European manufacturer, supposedly Huerters.... a 105 grain SMP in 6.5 mm...

My back up elk rifle is usually a 7 x 57 sporting a 175 grain Round Nose, or a 6.5 x 55 sporting a 160 grain Round Nose...but a 30/06 with a 220 grain round nose has been known to find its way in my truck also during elk season...it and the 338.06 see the most time out of the case during elk season...

The 338/06 carries a load of a 250 Round Nose at 2600 fps....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know its not in your survey but as long as I could keep the bullets inside of 4 inches at 300 yards and 6 inches at 400 yards I'd feel VERY confident in the 30-06 with 180s. A 100 yard group tells you next to nothing about an elk rifle except how that gun will group at 100 yards. In my experience bullet dispersion is only rarely linear in its practical application. Translation: a 1" group at 100 doesn't usually mean a 4" group at 400 yards. Besides, a real test of a rifle's capabilities doesn't begin to show up on paper until you shoot it at 300. Try it and see for yourself.

Believe me, I know. However, a 200 yard group will tell you plenty. If it'll shoot 1/2 MOA at 200, it'll usally still group really well at 300 and 400. That 7RM prints sub 1/2 MOA at 200 w/ several pills and will be my primary rifle. But shall that .01% chance that something happens to it, I want a dependable back-up. That 06' will not shoot any Elk worthy bullet worth a hoot, it shoots 150s sub moa but, any heavier pills or even 150 partitions open up to 4+ inches at 200 and I just prefer better myself.

The 270 is very consistent and prints sub MOA. If I'm going to have to use a back-up, it will have to be one I have confidence in and the 270 has my confidence.

It's looking like a close race between the AB and Partition. I think tonight I'm going to load w/ a couple different powders and see which has alittle edge in accuracy. H4831 is hard to beat in this 270 but, we'll see if R22 can hang w/ it.

Thanks for the votes

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also vote for the TSX, but it's not listed.

I shot a couple elk with a 270 and the plain 140gr Barnes X. I didn't recover either bullet, but there was elk in the freezer.

Any of the bullets listed will kill an elk.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a back up. Chances are one in a hundred that you'll use it, and one in five hundred that you'll actually shoot an elk with it. Chances are nine in ten that any elk you shoot will be within 200 yards. So why agonize over it? Either gun with any bullet will do just fine as a back up rifle. If you have more confidence in the .270, by all means take it. If, on the other hand, you think less of the '06 and would rather have it exposed to chances of loss/theft/damage while on an out-of-state hunt, then take the rifle you could better afford to lose!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I shot my cow elk last season with my 270WSM loaded with 140gr. Accubonds. Very devestating- 1 shot kill. My father inlaw shot his last year also with my other (wife's) rifle a 270WSM with factory 140gr. Accubonds-Winchester Supreme- Same results. The wife-then fiance shot her cow elk in 2004 with the her rifle-1 shot kill. I prefer my 300WM for elk, but after seeing the results with the good placed bullet from the 270WSM and performance of the Accubonds...I may use the 270WSM for all my game this season.

A bullet will suggest is the new XP3 from Winchester Supreme Elite. I sure hope they allow this bullet out for reloaders.

Good luck in your elk hunt.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think when one talks of elk hunting they should clarify cow or bull. A cow elk is not the same size as a big 5x5 or 6x6 bull. In some case you can be talking 300#+ larger. So comparing results on cow elk should be taken for what they are. cheers

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek makes a VERY valid point!

The .270W as an elk rifle gets beatten to death regularily. It usually is agreed that it works as long as the bullets land right, ect., ect.,.... there isn't much difference in performance between the '06 and the .270 as long as you can shoot them well enough. You don't need benchrest accuracy to take an elk.
My preference would probably go to the '06 with 200gr. Hornady Interlocks if they shot well. I like the bigger bullets for elk.
If you are leaving your backup in the truck, and you'll be miles away, the last gun I'd leave in the truck would be my favorite. I think a truck gun of appropriate caliber is a must.
When it comes down to it, if you're comfortable with the .270W and wouldn't freak out if it dissapeared then that would be a good choice. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I voted accubond because with something as large as Elk from a caliber as small as 270, I like the Large frontal mushroom they provide. That is sure to deliver a huge amount of shock. Cant argue with the partitions track record though.

One thing that could be the determining factor is what kind of shots you prefer. If your a lung popper like me then accubonds rock, if you like shoulder shots or the "texas heart shot" then Id suggest the partitions.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Why not consider the 150 gr. A-frame? Very accurate in my M70 featherweight (< 3/4"), and easy to drive fast with RL 22!

Have fun!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:

I'd like to poll the crowd on which bullet you all would use (assuming they shot great for you).

Awhile back two of us went in Wyoming, the weather wasn't much and my pal fell backwards on slick ice on a ridgetop, bending the scope on his rifle. He was disgusted, almost ready to go home, but he did have a 30-30 with 4X scope in the truck. We changed tactics a little and shot one maybe 50 yards distant. The bullet was just under the hide on the off side, maybe we should keep in mind that elk were damn near hunted out with 30-30s at one time. He keeps the bullet for a souvenir.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's a darn fine point Tom. Now-a-days w/ the vast load of crap the gun rags put out, many people think the ole' 30-30 is'nt even big enough for whitetails Roll Eyes.

I've decided on the 140 ABs because the accuracy is very good w/ them in this rifle. Not as good as NBTs through it but 1.5" at 200 yards isn't too shabby for a hunting rifle. Like I said, it most likely will not be used BUT, if I have to drag it out, I'll feel darn confident w/ it.

Have a Good One

Reloader