THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    who all owns the 7x57mm as a primary hunting rifle?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who all owns the 7x57mm as a primary hunting rifle?
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
I use this board and another quite a bit and see the 7x57mm Mauser mentioned several times. I now own a CZ550 American in this caliber. Have owned two others in Ruger, one the old tang safety model and the other the newer Mark II. I handload to some impressive balistics while still keeping accuracy thanks to Ray A. and some glassbedding of the action and freefloating the barrel. This is my only big game rifle and I use it for everything from whitetail and mule deer to elk. I also own a Howa Lightning in .223 Remington that is very accurate and is death to coyotes and p-dogs in my area of New Mexico. How many out there own a 7x57mm Mauser and out of those, how many use it as their primary hunting rifle. I plan on posting this on the African Forum as well. I really like hearing and reading about the little 7. Thanks all ... Tom Purdom

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
My 7x57 is my first all around mixed bag gun with 154 grn Hornadys at about 2675 fps.

Primarily deer and pig and plains game for my next safari.

If I know there is a high probability the game is going to be bigger or closer or farther, I start to specialize calibers.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law owns one, and I used to know several people that had one. I have reloaded for them many times in the past, meaning that I get to shoot them while working the load. I think that this is one of the cartidges that has the potential of being the one gun for the one gun hunter in North America. It seems to perform beyond what you expect most of the time. I prefer them a bit larger, but that is preference, not need. If you handload, the 7 is great. If you don't handload, you might think more along the lines of the 308. Just my opinion.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Win Featherweight in 7x57, I haven't killed anything with it yet. I also have a M98 1922 carbine in 7x57, it's in rather poor shape, and will be getting a new barrel soon.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Doesn't Hornday (sp) make a light Mag for the 7x57?

<ringneck>
posted
I hunt with a 7x57 and so does my wife. I shoot a 70 featherweight and also a Ruger 1A. She shoots a Remington 700 mountain rifle. We both use 140 grain Partitions although this year I am trying out the 139 grain Hornady's. So far all we hunt is whitetails and we think the mauser is just about perfect. It's a great round, but if I didn't handload I would skip it and buy a 7-08 or .280 Rem.

Shawn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paleohunter,
Hornady does make the Light Magnum
in 7x57. That is all I use for deer and they work great! Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 7X57 at a local gunshow this past Saturday. It is military action in a fairly nice walnut sporter stock, with a 3-9 Bushnell scope. It was kind of grungy, but I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning, and it seems to function alright. I will take it to the range next weekend to see how it shoots. This is a caliber I have wanted to own for a long time, but there was always some other one I wanted more. There's just too many guns ut there and not enough time and money to go around.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote