New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to carry a Binocular
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over the years I carried Binoculars in every concievable rig including the new shoulder harnesses that wrap you up like a Xmas package, but the African carry of over the right shoulder and hanging by a soft 1" webbing strap on the left side is the only way to go...Once anyone trys this carry they generally stick with it...You can place the binoculars in any position on your body and you will never tire from carrying them and you just slip them on your back when crawling or over to your right shoulder for easy access....I put them on in the morning and take them off at night, something I never could do prior to my introduction by most of the PH's in Africa.

Page 71 and 77 in the book NYATI by Kevin Robertson displays and describes this carry. Also a book worth reading for the first time or experienced Buffalo hunter.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
I got so damned tired of carrying glass I bought a pair of small Steiners, started wearing them in a hip pouch, and started hireing PHs to carry big glass.

Shooting boomers is easier on my back then carrying big glass all day long, and Ive tried all the harness's. Unfortunately I have to buy another "big pair" as Im going to have a few Western "do-it-yourselfers" coming in the next few years [Confused] ...........good shooting..............J

<allen day>
posted
Ray that "Christmas package" gimmick you talked about is something else! I tried it for half a day a couple of years ago and then went back to the original neckstrap......

I agree that the "African Carry" method is the best all-around method for binoculars, especially in war, dry country. The only time I shorten the strap and use the "O'Connor Method" (just fits over the head) is when I'm on a real wet hunt when I want to keep the glass under the jacket, yet I want to access it quickly.

AD

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Ray, I'm intrigued but can't figure out what exactly you mean. Any chance you have a picture of someone carrying their glasses as you describe?

Ray as a model? Now, there's a thought!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Ray, I'm intrigued but can't figure out what exactly you mean. Any chance you have a picture of someone carrying their glasses as you describe?
Ray as a model? Now, there's a thought!

I think he means "bandoleer" style from right shoulder to left hip. I'd not use 1" webbing myself. It's too slippery, but otherwise it would work fine.

Like a muzzleloading hunter would carry his "possibles" bag.

Like an oldfashioned mailman carries a mail bag.

Or like I carry my arrow quiver.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I though it was called the "Yukon carry".

Just kidding.

I have been carrying my bino's like that for years. I started carrying them like that because it was the only way I could without being wacked in the head while riding horses or bushwacking. I had no Idea that is the way they carry in Africa.

It is quite a comfortable way to carry bino's. They are really secure that way as well. Especially when climbing. They are not hitting rocks and stuff.

YKNR

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have to mix it up most of the time. One particular carry will not work for me in all situations.

I hate having my $2000 EL's hanging out in inclemenet weather, so most of the time I use the "O'Connor method" (short straps, over the neck), and tuck the binoculars into my jacket to protect them and so they don't come up in my face when I bend over. I also find it to restrictive having my binoculars strapped across my body when I am wearing a jacket and hiking (its OK on horseback though). It holds the flaps of the open jacket closed and doesn't allow air to circulate. It also makes it tough to retrieve things from my shirt pockets inside my jacket.

In warm weather, however, the "African Carry" is pretty tough to beat. If I am just wearing a shirt, or wool sweater, its definately the way I do it. It feels better having the glasses hanging by your side too. If it wasn't for the discomfort with the jacket, I'd use this carry all the time.

I haven't tried the new shoulder straps yet, but I think they might be just the thing for backpacking. Your neck gets mighty tired when you've had a pack on your shoulders all day. Its the only time my bins, my rifle, my boots, and you name it, all feel like they are made of lead, and are conspiring to kill me slowly.

[Smile] Canuck

[ 07-30-2002, 00:42: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry mine African style or carry a smaller pair in my left front pocket.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Ray, I had no idea that was an African carry style. I always thought it was a Rocky Mountain carry promoted by hunters that had to go up and down on a regular basis!

Regardless, it is the only way to go. My little Steiners tuck right away and present no burden.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to get wrapped up in that "Christmas package".
I always did like Christmas.
I've tried em all. Butler Creek, Vero Vellini, what comes in the box and I wouldn't trade my "Christmas package" for anything.
Let the Pissin' begin!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,
The webbing is nice because you can slip the binoc around your body in any position...Many times I pull the binocs up under my chin, so all I have to do is lift them up, about the same as the short O'Connor carry..my strap is pretty short as compared to most and the binocs hang about half way between my armpit and my waist.

Sakoluver,
If that carry is correct for you then noone can argue that..If the shoe fits then wear it is all I can say.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just imagine Ray was carrying a purse with the strap over his right shoulder and the purse under his left armpit close to his waist [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I didn't know it was African style either, but that's the way I carry them most of the time. I hate them bouncing around when just hung around the neck.

If the weather is foul, I still carry them "African style," I just put my rain jacket over top, as it's pretty roomy.

I just couldn't get used to those harness things so I never bought one.

I suppose there are different methods to be used when carrying Leupold as opposed to Swaros... [Big Grin]

[ 07-30-2002, 08:01: Message edited by: Gatehouse ]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
I suppose there are different methods to be used when carrying Leupold as opposed to Swaros... [Big Grin]

Hah!! Touch�!

I also keep mine under the armpit in wet weather. I usually have mine string shorter than most. They are closer to my armpit as opposed to midway between the pit and the waist. The elasticity of the neoprene strap allows a stretch for quick peeks and for extended use, there is plenty of time to remove my left arm from the rig.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just imagine Ray was carrying a purse with the strap over his right shoulder and the purse under his left armpit close to his waist

DB Bill: Ray would probably pack a short barreled .454 Casull in that bag. [Big Grin]

As I have mentioned before, we have lots of daylight up here, so a set of Leica 10x25 BCA in my shirt's top pocket has worked extremely well for me. I loop the nylon string through the top buttonhole by the shirt's collar, and place the binocular in the left pocket. I always wear military shirts while hunting, and those big front pockets are great for carrying lots of gadgets.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I made just such a strap out of green two inch seat belt material. The beauty is in the slippy qualities of the fabric. It is just so easy to access the binos for glassing and when you are done they just slip down the side again. The seat belt thickness help spread the weight also.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Ray's 100% right. I tried one of those binocular bra straps (well if Ray has a handbag...) only last week and they don't work too well.

The right shoulder, left hip works just fine.

On this topic, just where can you purchase a good long binocular strap?

My existing one is too short for easy use and I had a look a couple of months ago and could not find a supplier of "nice" longer ones.

Any suggestions where you can buy on the internet. Thanks.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NitroExpress.com,

I use a plain black 1 1/12" web strap made for a camera as sold in the local photography shop. If you can't find one locally or on the net, I would bet a local saddler would be able to make one up to your own specification, even if you have to salvage the fittings off an existing one...

Regrads,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I used the elastic "over the shoulders" strap system in Africa last year. When you have to run or trot the binos bounce around and beat you in the chest, when you try to crawl there's no way to keep them from dragging in the dirt.

This year I took a pair of Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL's to South Africa and they were magnificent. Unless these get lost or stolen, I have bought my last pair of binoculars!

The strap that Swarovski provides with the EL's is long enough to use in the "across the shoulder" African style carry. I set it up that way and carried them during our 28 day hunt this year with no complaints. They are protected and out of the way, but easily accessable when needed. They don't bounce around while running and can be placed behind your back while crawling.

However, for sitting on deer/hog stands here in the USA, where no stalking, running or crawling is required, I think I'll stick with the elastic "over the shoulder" system which holds the binos in front of your chest for easy access while sitting.

[ 07-30-2002, 20:35: Message edited by: Mark in SC ]

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
A wide, 1 1/2 inch, camera strap works well for carrying heavy binos. It has a buckle that allows for quick length adjustment so it is easy to go from African carry to O'Connor carry when you get back into the truck.

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best device I ever used was an elastic T- strap invented by my mother around 1960. She loved to sew. My dad and I used it in Montana for years. The one inch strap had one 8-10" leg that attached to the supplied binocular carrying strap at the back of the neck - fed the strap through a small loop that was stiched at one end of the strap. Two elastic legs (actually one piece) that were sewn to the bottom of the back strap then came around each side of your back to your chest and simply slipped over the objective len's with slightly undersized loops stiched on the ends. The binocs were firmly held against the chest - and easily brought up for viewing - what was nice was that there was some tension to aid in holding the glass steady. They also eliminated the weight of the binocs hanging off your neck. In wet or snowy weather just zip or button them up under the outer most garmet. Crawled on my belly many a time and they were always out of the way and handy. Cabellas looks like they offer something similar - if not I'll buy the material at Wallmart and make one.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI-I'll try to say this so as to make some sense.

I pretty much carry a pack frame with me every where I go. Now either that means I am confident, or that I just hate to go back to camp without a load to get a frame.

Anyway here is something I've found to work quite well for me. I just loop the bino strap (the Butler creek type) up over one of the frame posts b4 I put em back down to my chest. This helps to keep the weight of my Swarovski's (oh no the Swaro word look out-eh-grins) off of my neck.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
In my Texas deer hog stand I put my binocs on the table with my coffee,candy, cookies, spoting scope, next to the stove. on the other side is beer and sandwiches...rifles in the rifle rack next to the fridge over by the bed and radio...It is amazing how my deer stand that started life as a 2x6 nailed in the fork of a tree some 40 years ago as evolved into a palacial palace of sorts, but the old 2x6 stand is visable from my shooting window. I don't use it anymore it doesn't have a tub and shower [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
It is amazing how my deer stand that started life as a 2x6 nailed in the fork of a tree some 40 years ago as evolved into a palacial palace of sorts, but the old 2x6 stand is visable from my shooting window. I don't use it anymore it doesn't have a tub and shower [Big Grin]

Dang it, Ray, in northern Virginia any tree stand with plywood walls on 3 or more sides is instantly dubbed "The Condo".

Would the over-the-shoulder binocular carry work while carrying a pack? I've never tried it, always gone for the short strap around the neck and tucked into the jacket when it rains or when crawling.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray.....does your stand have an elevator or does someone carry you up and down on their back. I assume you have a moto to open your beer, hand you the rifle and say "good show" at the appropriate time.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Ray, if you get air conditioning, a satellite dish, big screen tv, a microwave (for popcorn at Halftime) and a couple of Lazy Boys with massage up there, Holly and I will run right out there for a visit this fall.

In exchange, you could come here and hunt deer and hogs with us. The season starts in two weeks on August 15th and runs till January 1st.

Since it's usually around 98 degrees with a heat index of 110 and 100% humidity, all you need to bring for the early season is a jock strap, jungle boots and your bug suit.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it incredible that no one is manufacturing a suitable "sling" for this type of bino carry. I thought that this method would be best after my first African safari, but still to date can find no strap that is both long enough, wide enough at the shoulder, and narrow enough at the ends to attach to the bino.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a length of surgical tubing knotted and then slipped over my torso. I position the tubing over the eyepieces to keep the binocular from bouncing as I walk. The binocular hangs from my neck on its wide, padded strap at a length that suits me. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a 1 1/4" Outdoor Connection nylon sling and if you cannot use it as is, unwind it. Save the screws, buy two small snaps (I doubt if the swivels would work well) split rings, and an adjustment buckle from the hardware store and make the rig. Use a scribe to punch holes for the screws, don't actually cut the webbing as it might fray around the screw later. Melt all cut ends. Fold back the end that runs through the adjustment buckle and stitch or screw it so it cannot run completely out of the buckle. Nylon is really slick so you may need to clip it to keep it from slipping and gaining length.

Done and comes in black, brown and all kinds of pretty camo. [Smile]

Another option is a long GI fatigue belt. The buckles have good solid adjustment, but I would still take the precaution of knotting, fold/stitch, etc. to prevent pass-through.

Best of all perhaps is the nylon shoulder strap off a GI 2-quart (or is it liter, now?) canteen cover. Good wide slick nylon and strong metal straps, ready to use as is.

[ 08-02-2002, 17:38: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
I doubt that the African Carry is workable with a pack..but with a pack I would hang or store them on it as opposed to on my body....

DB, Mark,
what? you guys think I'm a wuss and need and elevator and all that fancy stuff?? but the popcorn machine is something I think that I will look into and maybe a small 25" portable boob tube.

<George Hoffman>
posted
Ray,
I too have adopted the African carry system for the most part. However, like the majority of North American hunters we started out hunting in
cold climates and usually just droped the binos down in front of the coat or heavy shirt. The African does not work under cold climate conditions. In Africa, you are usually walking bent over or crawling on hands and knees. This is where the Africa carry works best. Besides all of that I was feeling meloncholy today and had not shot any big bore rifle for two years now.
I still have an old .416 Hoff. that I have sold, but it has not been jpicked up yet. I grabbed 5 rounds of solids and went to the bench. I picked out some rocks on the backstop and managed to make some smaller pieces. I liked it, and was something I just had to do.
George

[ 08-03-2002, 00:43: Message edited by: George Hoffman ]

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the right shoulder/left hip carry too, but I tie a knot in the sling usually and tug on it so the binocs move from riding on my hip to riding in the small of my back, it works a lot better when moving through brush and if you have to trot they don't bounce and bang against you or the gun. You don't even need to tie a knot in there, just tug on the sling to move the bino's back, and it really doesn't slow them down at all.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried the shoulder harness set-up and didn't care for it. Still have it, may be just the ticket some day for a certain situation.

I took an M16 sling, cut the ends off of the Swarovski bino strap and had the leather smith sew them onto the sling. Made to the size that I wanted and this works well for me. Just another idea on strap material.

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote