New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slower calibers and Barnes X bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read a lot of threads that promote X bullets for higher velocity rounds, 300 RUM, 7mm magnums, etc. What about X bullets in rounds like a 308 Win or 7 x 57. The 168 TSX shoots great in my 308 and I'm thinking this would be good from deer and sheep to moose. Thoughts and experiences? Would something like a Hornady Interbond be just as effective at these velocities? I've got no experience on game with either. I've been shooting Sierra bullets, and while I've had no failures, I'm looking to experiment with something different.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB,
my take on your question:Barnes X bullets are often mentioned for high power rifles because they dont fragment at high speed = shorter distances like convential bullets do.So the bullets available for high speed rifles are limited if one recognizes this problem.
For medium power rifles the Barnes are fine - if your barrel likes them.I shot many BARNES in 30/06 .338W MAG and 300 RUM.If the rifle likes them they are super.For deer I think an old fashioned Hornady will be just as lethal.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose with a 308 win and 165 XBT's. They gave good penetration and expanded nice. Range was 30-50 yards.

I shot it three times. Except for seeing hair come of the moose I couldn't tell I was even hitting it. I was used to smacking them with .338's.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jab I've been shooting 150 gr X's in my .308 for about 5 yeaes now. I've never lost a deer shot with them and have never recovered a bullet either. They kill like lightning and most deer never go more than 50 yards. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jab

My good friend decided to get his first "big" gun and picked up a .338 Winchester.
At that time he relied heavily on my advise and since he wasn't shooting his 30-06 very well I down loaded his 338 (I was also the loading expert at that time). I was using X bullets then (still do) so my friend insisted that he also us the "best" bullet.

I don't remember the load but we loaded the 225Gr. X to 2200fps. Now buddy isn't the legendary Billy Dixon when it comes to shooting but he is one hell of a killer!

Buddy shot several deer and black bear, 2 mature bull elk, and 3 Alaskan/Yukon moose. The first moose was standing a bit over 300 yards away when his lights went out!

The killing power was just fine thank you!

We worked him up slowly and he now shoots a 416 very well.
And he would never consider anything but X bullets.

P.S.
I am no longer considered the "expert".

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any experience using X bullets in a 45-70???

This is something I have not tried because I favor cast bullets in my 45-70.

The x's are plenty expensive for the big bores. Just wondering about lower velocity expansion...say 1600 fps and under???

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
You might try to find a copy of the book Rifles for Africa by Gregor Woods. He describes the results of some extensive African hunting done with X bullets, from 22 to 375 caliber. It was "found that they achieved optimum terminal performance when the muzzle velocity was around 2400 fps."

Too much above that speed and the petals fold back at the tips leaving more of a classic mushroom shape for the expanded bullet, and this shape must mash its way through tissue. At around 2400, the petals open up more or less square to the shank, allowing the bullet to act somewhat like an arrowhead. Below 2400 fps, the lower speed begins to reduce penetration or wounding.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose last season with a 300 gr barnes x out of a 45-70 guide gun.I dont know the velocity , but it was the max load out of the barnes manual. Moose was about 50 yards away and was hit in front of the shoulder and the bullet exited the opposite rump. no part of the bullet was recovered.Good enough performance for me.

Allan

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to speed necessary for Barnes to open up,I seem to remember 2100 fps,cant swear to it.It also might be different in larger caliber.1600 fps I would think they will not open up.
Seems in convential calibers = non-RUM ,I think Barnes recommends to load them alway fast
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...What about X bullets in rounds like a 308 Win or 7 x 57. The 168 TSX shoots great in my 308 and I'm thinking this would be good from deer and sheep to moose. Thoughts and experiences? Would something like a Hornady Interbond be just as effective at these velocities? ...

Hey JAB, Well thought out question concerning the two different bullets. Your 308Win would "typically" have a Velocity of 2600-2700fps with 165-168gr bullets. I know the BarnesX works well down to about 2100fps, so that should give you a range of 0-300yds or so to work with.

I don't have any experience with the Hornady Interbond either, but would "guess" it will expand for another 100yds, meaning 0-400yds with a similar muzzle velocity. Needless to say, Deer, Sheep and Moose hit properly (in the forward 1/3) will find either bullet is lethal.

I noticed you are in "Alaska". To me that indicates you have the "potential" to be facing a Brown Bear. In that situation, I would prefer the BarnesX, a Winchester FailSafe, a NorthFork, a Nosler Partition, or a Swift A-Frame over any of the Bonded Plastic Tip bullets. I've not faced a "Brown" Bear, but with my luck, I'd trip into one(make that a Hungry-Angry Brown Bear) within an hour of setting foot in Alaska.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The X-bullets of spitzer design have a lower threshold for expansion of around 2000-2100 fps. This is impact velocity, not muzzle velocity. Their forte' is high velocity, and in this design were never intended for low velocity use on game animals. Expansion below 2000 fps is marginal, at 1600 fps, almost non-existant, and Barnes manuals will tell you this. The bullets intented for ML's and handguns are a different issue and I have no knowledge of their performance envelope. Use of the X-bullets at low velocity is an oxymoron in my mind, and a waste of money. Rule of thumb IMO is below 2800+/- fps muzzle velocity does not justify a premium bullet for thin skinned game. They may be used of course but I see little value in it. Again, the important issue is velocity upon impact, insofar as the X-bullets are concerned.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote