Notify
Tools

Muzzleloader Elk Hunt 2008
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WTR
posted
Gentlemen,

My Dad and I are looking for a good muzzleloader elk hunt for 2008 and I am hoping some of yall know of a few good outfits to recommend?

Any recommendations on a good hunt anywhere in the Western States or Canada? We would like to hunt them while they are still bugling - we are not against a good archery hunt if muzzleloader is not an option.

We would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
WTR

Posts: 35 | Location: Madison, GA | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado state wide muzzle loader cow tag. It will cost you less than $300 for the tag. Pack your bags and go elk hunting. No reason to hire a guide, it's public land. Go get you an elk.

I've done well in the areas by Kremmling and Steamboat Springs.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WTR
posted Hide Post
Thanks MAC - We wouldnt know where to start...Sounds like fun though!

Can you give some advice on units and what to expect. We would be driving over from Georgia and packing in I guess?

Thanks!
WTR

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a Division of Wildlife office located in Hot Sulfer Springs Colorado that pretty much covers the middle northern part of the state. There is another one in Craig Colorado that covers the north west corner of the state. There is also one in Glenwood Springs Colorado that covers the middle area of the state. The Colorado Division of Wildlife's home page will give you the phone #'s if you go to it.

Between these offices, you will find most of the big game biologists working on elk since this is where the largest herds of elk in the country are. If I was serious about a black powder elk hunt next year, I'd start making some phone calls the see which areas had the best success this year.

In March, the Division of Wildlife's magazine is dedicated to the preference point results. This issue shows a lot of really vital info because it will show the number of licenses issued, what the odds are on drawing the license if it needs drawn and most important of all, it shows what the success rate was for the last season. I've been getting the magazine for over 20 years and by looking over the back issues I can see which areas have consistant high success.

I have personally taken 6 elk with a muzzle loader, most of them in the area around either Gore Pass by Kremmling and north of Steamboat Springs Colorado around Hahn's Peak. Haven't done the black powder hunt for several years though because Navy business has kept me away during the early season.

My advice, contact the state biologists and get advice from the resident experts. State law requires them to assist hunters that ask and not enough people do. They will point you in the right direction and can often tell you which private landowners will allow access to their lands. Lots of ranchers like to have the elk run ut of their hay meadows and the DOW bioloists will know which ones are complaining.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WTR
posted Hide Post
MAC - thats some great advice, thank you.

I will begin my due dilligence and see what we can come up with. I will keep you posted.

WTR