New
Find
Notify
Tools

bench technique
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am shooting a 9.5# 300 Win Mag that does not have a muzzle brake. The loads I am shooting are generating 34 ft.lbs of recoil. I am not bothered by this but I am wondering what would be the best technique to utilize while shooting from the bench. I have heard of various methods being used and would like to try to get a consensus. There are two basic methods. Both utilize a front pedestal rest with a bag on top and a rear bag (the basic benchrest setup). First is to use the non-shooting hand to squeeze the rear bag to fine tune elevation. This is the method that I generally use. Others use the non-shooting hand to hold the stock between front rest and rear bag, pulling the stock into the shoulder and down onto front bag. This second method is more often recommended for lighter, harder kicking rifles. I wonder if the fliers I occasionally get would be minimized if I tried the second method. Sometimes the stock recoils up off the front rest. Also I wonder if it makes any difference whether the front rest is positioned just in front of the action or should it be closer to where the front sling stud would be? Any generalities? Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rufus,

I shoot quite a bit with rifles that have a generous recoil.

I do hold the rifle with my left hand, as that helps me get it tight against my shoulder.

Also, I use two PAST recoil pads velcroed together, which helps quite a bit in reducing the felt recoil.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67041 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
rufous,

It exists product from Uncle Bud which reduce recoil energy.

From advertising :
Uncle Bud's
bulls bag
great for pointing a gun
great recoil reducer
shoot a .416 Rigby like a .308

I never use this but for bench that is suitable to work.

UNCLE BUD'S BULLS BAGS

HCR 81 Box 108
Needmore, PA 17238
Phone (717)294-6000
Fax (717)294-6005

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote