THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Tough Tri-Tip From Huge (Almost 300 lb) Boar

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tough Tri-Tip From Huge (Almost 300 lb) Boar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zippy The Pinhead
posted
Three of my friends and I hired Kyler Hamann of Boaring, LLC out of Parkfield, Ca., for a two-day hunt. We just got back earlier today.

Mr. Hamann runs a first-class operation, and I can recommend him with enthusiasm. Thanks to those of you on this forum who recommended him to me.

One member of the party shot a big fat boar which weighed 280 or 290 lbs before being dressed. It was huge, and Mr. Hamann estimated the age to be between 3 and 4 years.

After this boar was cleaned, we immediately packed it in ice and just this afternoon delivered it to the butcher shop (Hicks Meats, at the intersection of La Mirada Blvd. and Santa Gertrudes in La Mirada, Ca.). The butcher cut off one of the tri-tips and cut it into chops for us to try.

I sauteed my chops in butter with salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic. My friend briefly marinated his in wine, onions, and tomatoes, and then he grilled them. The goal was to determine whether this boar would yield suitable cuts, or whether he would all go into sausage.

Both of us found the cuts to be tough, though flavorful.

The question is: tri-tip can be tough, and maybe wasn't the best cut to base our decision on. But what would you do? Sausage, or get some good cuts & roasts, and make the usual tougher cuts into sausage?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Posts: 276 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear but not huge A 500 plus is huge. They make the 200 to 300 pounders look small. I always found that bears in the 100 to 250lb range to be the better eating any thing over can be abit more wild. Good meat care can go a long ways to insure good eating.

[ 04-20-2003, 15:45: Message edited by: p dog shooter ]

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zippy,

I hunted with Kyler at the beginning of the week -- great guy and a good guide. I shot a nice boar a little under 200 lbs. (109 lbs. at the butcher for the skinned carcass the next day).

Where'd you get yours? We saw one huge boar in a field with some cattle, he was hard to follow because he was almost as big as the calves!

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin>
posted
I kill my pigs on the other side of the mountains in the Priest Valley area.

I usually just save the loin roasts and sausage the rest on the big hogs. If he's under 200 lbs, I'll salvage the ham roasts and maybe some pork ribs for the BBQ.

That's just what I do!

Congrats on a great hog! It'll be a shoot out soon. The barley is almost headed out!

Don Martin
www.EndlessSafari.com

one of us
Picture of Zippy The Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frazer:
Zippy,

I hunted with Kyler at the beginning of the week -- great guy and a good guide. I shot a nice boar a little under 200 lbs. (109 lbs. at the butcher for the skinned carcass the next day).

Where'd you get yours? We saw one huge boar in a field with some cattle, he was hard to follow because he was almost as big as the calves!

John

Kyler took us to what he referred to as "the old place," which consisted of two fields separated by a county road. My friend and I hunted a barley field on one side, from a grassy knoll, and my other friend went with his father and Kyler to a brushpile on the other side of the road.

The big boar was taken by my friend's dad. The boar was chasing a sow (in heat?) and got blasted by a .270 @ 100 yards, give or take. I think the ammo was Federal Premium with a 140-grain Nosler partition, and the bullet went in the neck and came out the opposite shoulder.

The boar flopped over with a busted neck and a busted shoulder, stone dead. The damned thing filled up that iron rack on the back of Kyler's Suburban. It was huge.

Posts: 276 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote