Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka, Rivers West, or Under Armour?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Of the new high speed low drag super special fabrics, which do you guys prefer? Right now I am currently in the process of slowly but surely upgrading my hunting attire. I am trying to transition from heavier, bulkier fabrics such as carrhart to lighter stuff. I have purchased several Rivers West products this year and I am really impressed with them. I do have a couple of pieces of under armour and will most likely upgrade all of my thermal base layers to these. I don't have any experience with Sitka though. I have heard good things though and I have fondled their products at Sportman's more time than what would be considered appropriate.

Question:
So what is your guys' preference if any?

Choices:
Sitka
Rivers West
Under Armour
New products scare me
You can't beat Filson!

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Wickers Comfortrel Polyester lightweight longs from Sierra Trading Post for $11 a piece. Under Armour is over rated and over priced.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I presently have RW Ambush Jacket and pants. Way heavy and hot, but indestructible and totally waterproof. Great for in the tree stand, but does not breathe enough for wearing while hiking.

My son has the Sitka Gear, and the pattern is great for our sagebrush and more open deer slopes. Quiet and seems to be snagproof, and it is the cat's meow. Great! Next set will be the same as his.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blank:
I presently have RW Ambush Jacket and pants. Way heavy and hot, but indestructible and totally waterproof. Great for in the tree stand, but does not breathe enough for wearing while hiking.
I guess I know what ya mean there. Every time I have had to haul a deer out while wearing my RW Stalker jacket I have ending up soaked. One time it was a lovely 10 degree day with a 15mph wind on the Hi-Line. I do like that fact that it is really warm for the weight, water proof, and wind proof. Definitely better than the Carrhart I used to wear though.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you guys that prefer Sitka over RW, what is it you prefer? Is it as light weight or lighter? Is it waterproof and windproof as well? I prefer a waterproof and windproof garment in whatever hunting garment I choose simply because it is MT. Any native MT's raised here know that you can not count on the forecast for anything. Growing up I was always subject to a tongue lashing if I left without my jacket because "you never know".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going through an upgrade of my hunting clothing too. The problem here is I don't know much about the products you have listed, so I can't cmt on any of them.
Much of your, and my, clothing selection depends on how we hunt. I think layering is the answer, but I haven't a good answer for your way of hunting. I am sure of one thing however, and that is no matter how you hunt, whether it be stalking, or stand hunting, when you shoot a Deer for example, you'll be faced with being over dressed for dragging the Deer out of the woods. For stand hunting in cold weather, more clothes are required just to stay warm. So, removing a top layer or two when dragging a Deer out is the answer.
I too think that Under Armor is over priced and that there are better, less expensive options. This year I bought a set of Hunderwear as marketed by Browning. It is 10% Marino wool and 90% polyester. It is great stuff, and just right for a base layer for Northen Michigan hunting. It's warm, and it allows moisture to escape, and no itching either. I also have second layer of a Sierra Trading Post poly top that was cheap, and it works. I then wear a wool wipcord shirt over top, then my coat, which is down filled and a PITA as it is bulky and not hunter friendly. So, I'm in the process of buying a wool coat and wool bibs from Cabela's. My youngest son is a hunter's hunter, and he's been researching this same question for 22 years, and he recommended to wool combo I am buying. That's what he wears.
I'm in my 70's, and when I shoot a Deer, I let my two sons drag it out of the woods.. Big Grin
Keep us posted on what stuff you decide to buy. That will help lots of us guys who are in your situation now.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about all the ones listed but I'm very happy with my RW Ambush Jacket and RW Trail Pants. The jacket vents are most helpful when it heats up.

Best hunting clothing I've ever owned. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness Cabelas will take any product back b/c that's what I did with UnderArmor. Hated that stuff.
I've found that a poly base, wool/fleece middle and either windproof/waterproof jacket outer keeps everything warm.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
I bought a Sitka 90% jacket and used it this hunting season. It was a great jacket to layer underneath. It is windproof and as the ad says water repellant, not waterproof. But I like it very much. I tried a RW jacket on in the store and I got so hot and sweaty while trying it, not like the Sitka which is breathable. I have a cabelas rain coat that takes care of the rain so I didn't feel that I needed the RW. Never tried the UA.
Good luck on your choice.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote