New
Find
Notify
Tools

CO antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lost the ranch I used to hunt on (guy charges 500$ a head now to hunt his land!) and I really want to get a speed goat this year, its been 2 years since I last went out.

Anyone have some suggestions of units that might hold some decent public land? Don't know any other land owners or know how to get in contact with any....so I guess I need to work the public lands.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
Lost the ranch I used to hunt on (guy charges 500$ a head now to hunt his land!) and I really want to get a speed goat this year, its been 2 years since I last went out.

Anyone have some suggestions of units that might hold some decent public land? Don't know any other land owners or know how to get in contact with any....so I guess I need to work the public lands.

Go to the County Courthouses and look up CRP land.Check with BLM.There must be a master map that show which areas have BLM lands.Remember you have to access BLM from Public roads.Call up your Wildlife division and ask for ranchers who allow trasspass for free or fees.Start knocking on doors.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check at the Craig Chamber of Commerce Visitor Information Center. They usually have a list of landowners you can talk to about hunting pronghorns.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WOULD THINK I'VE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN IF COULD GET ON ANY PRIVATE LAND THAT WAS EVEN FAIR HUNTING FOR $500.00

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I never use to have problems finding ranches to hunting antelope on, ranchers thought they were a problem. It’s getting harder now that the ranchers are starting to see them as money. I’ll pay 50-100 bucks, that’s reasonable but at 500? I’ll stop hunting goats at that price. The ranchers can keep them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crap. $500 is cheaper than some fellows want to hunt hogs in Texas, and those ARE pests. I'd just find BLM as mentioned above or pay the $500.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For antelope West of I25, look for BLM, SWA, STL and NFS lands.

East of I25, Walk-In Access, STL, SWA and National Grasslands are available.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 is too much, I won't pay that to hunt in my home state. If I'm paying 500$ that rancher better just about guarantee me a huge buck with very little pressure. The other reason I am done with that ranch was last time it was a flippin war zone of hunters. Thankfully we stayed off from the rest but there were shots ringing off everywhere, and I KNOW some of them were crossing fire without realizing it (hopefully that is).

I may have to take a look into the WIA, STL, SWA and Nat Grasslands as I prefer to hunt out east.

Mick - what units did you used to hunt?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote