New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on my first bear hunt. I have a .375 H&H and my buddy told me if I hand load Sierra matchkings and seat them backwards I will get 4 feet of penatration. Is this true?My buddy swears by matchkings for big game,thanks. [Confused]

<allen day>
posted
This and your elk post sound like a pair of bait & switch efforts or a contrived hoax of some sort to me.

So far, you claim your buddy, whoever the heck he is, claims you'll get a uniform 4' of penetration on elk as well as bear with the same half-assed bullet from your .375 H&H......

My question:

Just how the hell does he know that?

My crystal ball blew a fuse, so I won't offer any such prediction........

AD

[ 01-31-2003, 00:51: Message edited by: allen day ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, looks like I fell for it Allen....

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
More internet BS...

posted Hide Post
Was your .375 built by a guy named 'Axel' by any chance?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
This does sound like B.S
I did read a story years back of someone doing this with a 270 on cape buf.
This was not a suggestion but a point some one was trying to make.
Your "buddy" is a retard.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Moron [Roll Eyes]

[ 01-31-2003, 12:57: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The story you mention was related by Capstick, where in an "extremis" situation with an elephant, a 270 bullet was turned around in an effort to penetrate an elephant's skull. jorge

PS: I'm not buying the post either.

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you try it and IF you come back, tell us how it went. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<razorback>
posted
yea, try it, and it will work, but only try it at around ten yards or less from the bear. the results will be interesting

<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Probably be a real accurate load to 100 yds-not!!!
If bullets were made to be shot that way wouldn't we all be doing it? Shoot why would we want a point at all!!! You would also think this would create some wild pressure curves-squib loads? [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Jorge
Now I remember. IT was elephant. I read that in Petersens about 6 years ago I think.
Pooper sensitivity
Try loading it side ways, I hear that works good also.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Safarischorsch>
posted
Hi!
It is possible and that is no joke!
But it is easier to load a solid... [Big Grin]
Take the Brenneke TUG 19,5gramms an it will be fine...

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
No, it is not a good idea, that is just how good advice gets interpeted when one has to pull their ears out of their hips in order to listen.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that since this is your first Bear Hunt it may be your last! Not good advice or even a decent hoax.

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TS

Wouldn't this be described as a 'Boattailed Wadcutter Improved'? [Confused]

Actually wadcutters do penitrate well at pistol velocities. I think that if you load the .375 down to around 900fps and use 1 1/2 inches of foam filler and 1/2 inch of corn meal you will get the results you are seeking. [Big Grin]

Don't forget the pictures. [Wink]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote