New
Find
Notify
Tools

CO Elk - Unit 16 - Late Rifle Season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody been? Even anecdotal info would be most appreciated.

I have a long-time waterfowling friend living nearby now and we drew rifle permits for the area in what I understand to be their latest season, mid-November.

No 4-wheelers nor horses for us. We'll be hoofing it in from various parking lots and staying in a hotel somewhere. Relatively low cost elk hunting to which I'm looking forward greatly.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Late season last year I hunted the area north of Divide with four buddies. For five days we split up and covered about every patch of ground big enough to hold an elk. We cut lots of sign but it was all old. We bumped into several other hunters and they all saw the same thing - nothing. We concluded that the late season was too late and that the elk migration had already passed us by. It's just as well. If there had been any elk in the area it would have been tough to find them with all the ATVs and pick-up trucks driving around. We applied for an earlier hunt this year but none of us were successful.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

Are you speaking of another unit? 16 is up east of Steamboat & in-between there and Walden.

That said, I suspect much of what you say will be true in other zones. That is what we hope to hike away from. We're going into this expecting long walks in/out each day in order to get away from the motor heads.

My buddy does quite a bit of fishing in the general area and should know it well, especially by the time of the season. I was just hoping to find somebody via internet with additional info.

Thanks,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted that area several seasons, mostly for archery. There is a lot of public land, as I'm sure you know. But there is a lot of public access as well. Your best bet is to get at least a couple miles in off the roads. You could run into some heavy snow that late in the year.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed:
Grenadier,

Are you speaking of another unit? 16 is up east of Steamboat & in-between there and Walden.

That said, I suspect much of what you say will be true in other zones. That is what we hope to hike away from. We're going into this expecting long walks in/out each day in order to get away from the motor heads.

My buddy does quite a bit of fishing in the general area and should know it well, especially by the time of the season. I was just hoping to find somebody via internet with additional info.

Thanks,

Reed

As I remember, it was unit 511 or near there. We walked as far off the roads as could be done. We drove to remote areas over rough roads and then went out on foot for the entire day. Most days we went in different directions and returned late afternoon. One day we walked a mile or two abreast and 75-100 yards apart to see if we could cut any recent sign, regrouped and did it again and again. About half the time we were walking in snow. As mentioned before, we saw only old sign. The second to the last night we had about a foot of snow fall. We never found any elk tracks after that, not even crossing any of the roads or trails. Guys I spoke with later said that it was just too late in the season.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That late in the year, my buddy brings snow mobiles.

Usually after the 2nd week all the elk are in Wyoming or Three Forks trying to keep away from all the Road Hunters/Public land Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote