New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA Bear hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been invited to hunt the opening day of our three day bear season. We will be hunting near Tionesta. I have never hunted bears, and only seen a few. Do you have any tips? I will have Sunday to get the lay of the land. I have never been to this area, I believe its mountain sides, thats all I know.
Should I still hunt, or sit all day? Would my climbing tree stand be a help, or too much to carry? What kind of area do bears move through in daylight? What are they eating in November?

I have plenty of rifles, I'll probably use my 458 Mag, since its pretty light and has a 20 inch barrel. I might use a 30-06 or 35 Whelen, or a 338 mag or ...... I have lots of choices.

Anyway, I guess I need a quick lesson in bear hunting. We can't use bait or dogs. I guess the guys will probably do some drives, I don't know yet.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They try to keep bear population to 10,000 max so they usually arrange the season so that about 3,000 are taken .Sitting or drive will work best I think. No need for a magnum, 30-06 or 35 Whelen will be fine using one of the heavier ,well constructed bullets. Near me in Pike Co bears can top 800 lbs but the typical are probably 250-300 lbs.The season is set just before they den up so they're at their hibernating weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey there, up in the area that i hunted which would be the area where lycoming, sullivan and clinton counties meet which to me is bear heaven in PA, pretty much most of the guys put on drives and its nothing to see them clear off a big section of mountain side in a day and that is how most of the guys get their bear.Now up in columbia county where my father has a lease they sit and wait or still hunt a little because the guys up on the catawissa mountain usually chase them down into the lease. as far as eating i hear they like the wild fox grapes and apples that dropped in the orchards. Hope that helps a little. Good Luck

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most guys are getting their bears doing drives, but success rates still aren't very high. Your best bet would probably be to stick with the guys that are doing the drives, or conveniently sit yourself in the direction they are heading...Wink Hunting bears on your own can be tough here in PA, and not very fruitful unless you're in an area with a lot of bears and you know exactly where they are.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get in shape and get comfortable boots. Drives, frequently through thick stuff and steep hills and across streams, are about the only legal way to have much of a shot at a bear. Odds are low then. In 42 years I've got one and assisted on 2. And this was in good bear country.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted PA bear in 03'. I think it was called stone mountain, I don't know where we were. We hunted two days doing drives with like 10-12 guys. We never saw a bear. If deer season was open, we woulda crushed em'!!! Good luck, pa bear is not easy to do.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote