THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone familiar with the area around Los Lunas, NM?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with the area around Los Lunas, NM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One of my cousins and hunting partners is moving from Missouri to Los Lunas, New Mexico. I am not familiar with the area at all, so just wondered if anyone knows what is in the near vicinity, like elk, mulies, coues deer, whatever. He is leaving in a couple of weeks, so I am planning ahead to see what we can kill when I visit.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Within a 2 hour drive is world class elk, pronghorn and mule deer hunting. Coues deer is further, and a very tough draw. There's also ibex, aoudad and oryx all fairly close. Some whitetail (and pretty good whitetail) but you're going to deal with out of state draws or landowner tags anywhere in the state. The reservations have some pretty good guided hunts, and some are very reasonable. Lots of BLM land in New Mexico too. I consider New Mexico one of the better big game states...it's got tremendous variety from high mountain hunting to open plains pronghorn hunts. And the Floridas (southern end of the state) may be the single roughest terrain in North America.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on I-25 just S of Albq. IF you guys like to play the slots and feed your cash into bell ringing noise making machines you'll be mighty close to it.

IF you like to fish for good sized stripers and cats, 100-150 mi S is Elephant Butte res. When the water level is up, it's a mighty big pond. Just be damned sure you have a quick way off when the wind starts. Don't wait til it gets to blowing, when it starts, head off and don't delay.

Should be some prairie dogs around as most of the area is quite desert like. Big game is at least 2 hour drive. Antelope should be good. I don't know the NM laws or how they pass out the tags. Start with: NM wildlife and you should find what you need. Don't be surprised if you strike out though.

Watch you speed as they'll nail your A to the wall quick with NR tags on the car/trk. AND don't be stupid and give out smokey reports on a CB radio if anyone besides truckers still use them.

Good luck and have fun, take your shades, hats and sunscreen as you'll sure need 'em in summer.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote