Find
Notify
Tools

Lora's 2018 buck.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
There isn't a picture because the buck was a fork horn with the left side broke off leaving a 5 or 6 inch stub of antler on that side, thev right side was still intact.

Neither of us had shot a deer since the two cull mulies we shot on the TP&WD Draw Hunt in 2015 down in the Big Bend area.

The reason we went out on Saturday, Dec. 15, was because on an earlier guided hunt on one of my boss's properties I sat with the client one morning in the vsame blind where Lora shot her buck and right after daylight a buck came in that was forked on the right antler, but the left antler appeared to droop down the side of the bucks face and inbetween its eye and nose, the tip of the antler curved out from its face, almost like a boar's tusk.

When I saw that I told the clioent that I was going to try and get Lora out and see if she could shoot it.

Anyway, fast forward to the 15th. and we got the chance to go out and see if we could run on to that oddball.

We were running late getting to the blind and Lora had got in to it and I was still outside handing stuff to her.

Suddenly she said there was a buck at the feeder and I am still standing under the back of the blind handing stuff to her.

About the time I get ready to go up the stairs and get in the blind she said, "It's A Shooter"!!! At which point my reply was "Let Me Get In The Stand"!!!

I get in the stand and pick up my binoculars and from the look of the buck I thought that maybe the malformation of the left antler had been broken off.

Lora asks me if she should shoot and I said Go Ahead, which at that point her .257 went bang and the buck hit the dirt.

It was after that point where things went sideways. This part of Texas has experienced a really weird weather pattern this Fall in that we have had a tremendous amount of rain.

Deal is the ground is so saturated at this point that everything we get is running off, but the ground is not drying. I knew this! I monitor the pastures we hunt on a daily basis but when it came time to go get that buck I came down woth a roaring case of Dumb Ass Itis.

We loaded up and I drove my work truck down to where the buck was laying without any real problems. Got it loaded and headed back uphill.

That is when the major flaw in my plan manifested itself, because with the ground being in the wet condition it is, I could noty build up enough speed going uphill to go on thru.

To abbreviate things I got the pick up stuck royaly and it is getting dark so giviong up on trying to drive out, I leave Lora at tyhev pick up and hike my Fat Ass about 3/4 of a mile to where one of the boss's big tractors is parked.

Luckily the 50 head of buffalo I take care of on that property do not like people on foot and they took off for the other side of the pasture.

I get the tractor started and did manage to get the pick up unstuck and we were able to drive home but had to leave the tractor where it was, because it was almost stuck at this point.

Luckily we are supposed to have 2 or 3 days of good weather and I should be able to get the tractor out without any trouble.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds about right.

I went down in the valley to shoot today.
paid up and went to shoot for score and the bottom of my right boot fell off.
I have had these boots for a while now but they are in super good condition since I usually only hunt or hike in them.
I wore these boots all throughout our 2 week deer hunt this fall even on a 3 day back pack trip and no hint of any problems.[thankfully]

just today it decides to fall off, so I'm out there shooting a hundred targets in 6"s of new snow with no bottom to my shoe.
oh well I shot well enough to almost pay for some new boots but the sock was umm well I didn't wear one home but I do have a new pair of boots.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall:
Was that the buck you wanted? Glad she'
got one. In that p/up a 4x4? Or do you Texans believe in 4wd?

Last year my friend Lynn shot a 4pt WT
with a 5-6" stub near the family farm
just NE of Campo.

This year he shot a 4pt WT the racks about a foot wide. Thinks it's 1 1/2y/old. CO Dow wants the WT's shot, Wt tags OTC, mulie's are draw.

Today he brought me the tender loins. Hot dog! Two years in a row, good buddy huh?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the buck well be fine eating.

I feel your pain I have had a truck and tractor stuck at the same time.

Being struck is not fun.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was definitely not an experience in "Fine Dining"!!!

But it gave us some meat and memories and for me that is what hunting is all about.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
LOL, any hunt is a good hunt. Those little issues just make 'em a little more memorable. Glad Lora scored!

~Ann

Posts: 19225 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool beans for Lora!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate the sideways portion, but it does add to the story.

Congratulations to her. I would have liked to haven seen that buck. If you have pics, please share.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Great story C!

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you worked for that one Randall! Congrats to Lora!

Posts: 502 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. For BOTH of you! tu2

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall:
Was that the buck you wanted? Glad she'
got one. In that p/up a 4x4? Or do you Texans believe in 4wd?

No Sir it was not the buck I was hoping she would get, as for 4WD mist of us have learned that all it does is just gets you stuck that farther in and that much deeper!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Sir it was not the buck I was hoping she would get, as for 4WD mist of us have learned that all it does is just gets you stuck that farther in and that much deeper!!!!

I seen that happen to a lot of 4x4 users.

I hopefully have learn to avoid it.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
All's well that ends well. There's always sausage and jerky, Randall. Getting stuck is no darned fun. Been there, done that.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for her R.

Of course yall would get the buffalo hunt going on just after I got back from hunting with my Sharps. Maybe next time around for me.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill I am gonna make some folks sick, but for the past 4 years I eat deer sushi!

Slice it thin, cover it in lemon juice, soy sauce and Jalapeno Tobasco and it is great!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long time ago I learned the difference
between getting stuck, and Really stuck.

That's if you have to crawl out the windows as
the doors won't open.

Try sinking a D-10 CAT in a swamp til the mud
rolls up on the deck and you have to sit on the back of the seat! Knocking stumps out of a new right of way for a mtn road. Running across a meadow, noticed the grass was rippling in waves. About that time it started bogging down. Too late then.

I swear that thing connected to China, used two more like it to pull it loose from the suction. that's stuck!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote