New
Find
Notify
Tools

New hunter gets her first
 Login/Join

<1LoneWolf>
posted
I have posted since last season about a very athlectic teenager named Colleen.
She had taken to shooting with me and my wife.

My daughters don't hunt. She's a close friend of theirs, but Colleen did have the interest. She practiced with a 243 two summers ago, and then moved into a 7-08 this summer. At 200 yards she'll hold all shots well within a paper plate. She's pretty darn good.

Last year, she failed to bring anything home. I thought that would kill it for her, but it didn't.

She got rewarded with a 4 point buck this year. To see how happy the kid was the day after was amazing.
The day she got her kill, she wasn't doing too good. I could see those mixed emotions in her.
But, she recovered quickly and was thrilled by the following day. She has asked to go again with us next season.

She's also getting into Biathalon. I don't know much about it, but you ski and shoot, ski and shoot. Olympic Sport! She's a avid skier.

I just thought, perhaps you "guys" would like to know, we have some new hunters coming up in the right fashion, and they aren't all "males".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well congratulations to her!

Hunting isn't male only...I've got a co-worker that goes hunting with her husband (not FOR her husband!).

Hope she can make it hunting next season and does well with the biathlon!

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to report that I've also taught my two daughters and son to shoot. The older daughter is now almost 18, and a freshman in college. I first took her skeet shooting when she was maybe 10 or 11. My son (I have only 1 son) is now 13, and I also took him skeet shooting when he was about 11. I've also taken him to the rifle range repeatedly so that he can shoot a .22, and recently I let him shoot a 25/06.

My younger daughter -- she's now 9 -- had been begging to go shooting when she saw me taking her brother. I worried about taking her to the skeet range because I'm afraid that the kick of the shotgun (I have a 20 ga. over/under that I cut down to make a child's gun) may be too much for her. So I've taken her to the rifle range and let her shoot a .22 I have a Marlin child's gun -- a single shot with a 2 to 7 X scope -- and she has shot that a lot. She really likes to shoot from the bench, and has gotten it down so that she looks the part of a genuine bench-rest shooter.

I haven't taken any of them hunting yet. Opportunities for hunting are scarce here with me, given location and job commitments. But I do get to take them shooting, and they are all now somewhat accomplished shooters.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job the more women we get involved in shooting the easier time well have keeping are guns.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job! Maybe one, or several, of them can replace the fat broads on day time TV that tell American women what to think.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote