THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming Elk Application timlines have changed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Elk Application timlines have changed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Non-residents will still apply in January, but won't find out until May if they drew or not.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheyenne - For hunters, Jan. 2 is more important than New Year’s Day. That’s when the Wyoming Game and Fish Department opens applications for six different big game species and wild turkey. All applications must be submitted online.

Beginning at 8 a.m., resident and nonresident hunters can begin to submit applications for elk, deer, antelope, spring turkey, moose, sheep and mountain goat. The first deadline is Jan. 31 for nonresident elk and resident and nonresident spring turkey.

New for 2020, Game and Fish will not publish tentative season information in the application packet for elk, deer and antelope. Instead, hunters can reference the 2019 regulations and archery season dates on the Hunter Planner. Tentative season information for 2020 is available for moose, sheep, and mountain goat. Final season information will be published on May 1, with time for hunters to make modifications or withdraw applications.

Nonresident elk hunters should also be aware of a significant change to the draw date beginning in 2020. The nonresident elk application period remains Jan. 2-31. However, applicants have until May 8 to modify or withdraw their applications. Draw results will post the third week in May. The change is meant to give applicants more information before the draw.

“In the past, nonresident elk hunters finalized their applications long before the Game and Fish Commission approved the seasons in April,” said Jennifer Doering, Game and Fish license section manager.

With the change, nonresident hunters can withdraw or modify license applications once the season information is finalized in April by the Game and Fish Commission.

“Now licenses will be issued based on final and approved season information,” Doering said.

Details on 2020 deadlines and information will be updated on the Game and Fish Hunt Planner at the end of December. Anyone will questions regarding hunting applications can call (307) 777-4600.
(Sara DiRienzo (307-777-4540))

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Hunt...lications-open-Jan-2

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What really sucks about this is that you could previously draw or not draw in Wyoming and then pick up a tag in another state if you failed to draw.

Wyoming not figuring out their elk seasons until April will change things for a lot of people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yessir.

While this is quite inconvenient for us, it probably won't change a thing when it come to draw odds in that State. There will always be over-demand and under-supply of elk tags for NR's in Wyoming.
I'm just grateful they let me come hunting up there occasionally.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
This throws me a curve ball. I really liked that I knew whether I was in or out on Elk Feb 28th. I could then move on to other options.
Glad I cashed my Elk points in last year.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have 5 points in Wyoming for elk.

Not sure if I am going to apply or not. Might apply for a tough to draw tag, and nothing else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is ridiculous. Max points for me for elk. It was nice to know before the other states and plan and apply accordingly. I will put in for the late hunts. Those, for the most part, won't interfere with other desirable tags from other states.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote