THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Gun/cartridge for a hand-me-down??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Gun/cartridge for a hand-me-down??
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
I'd start with a top-quality rifle in .22LR as a hand-me-down, and then see what happens in terms of interest, etc.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could ramble on about this one.
Since we are talking starter guns that will always be useful.
A .22...ruger 10/22 would be ok,but for a little more you could have a Rem 541-T.

A .308 win or rem...either would be fine. One of each would be better. 7MM-08 would be ok too. Anything else in the hands of a youngster I would consider a crippler.
There are many that started out with .243's, or for birds, a .410. I think these are for experts. A .20 gauge would be better in my opinion. Maybe a 870... Thought I'd through in a shotgun.
Your choice in hand guns will work. I'm not a glock fan,but they are good guns. I like a s&w mod 41 and kimber .45. There are so many good choices. If you like revolvers a s&w mod 617 and 629.
I'm don't know the answer to the short mag thing,but I think all the others work and I think many will stick with them. I have a few m-700's in my safe in 7mm rem mag.and they work just fine. I'll buy a short mag... probably in .300. or .338.
You did't say if money is no object...

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hand me downs will be all my guns. By the time my Boys get them I won't worry about how they divvey them up. As for starting them off, I made sure that they each have a 22lr, a 30-06, and a 12 ga. With those they can hunt anything except dangerous game and if they're going to do that I'll go with them and bring the guns.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather gave me his Win mdl 92 in 25-20 Win. I killed my first deer a little 3x3 blacktail with it. I think what matters is how much the gun ment to the original owner. I redid my will a few years ago and rethought about who I was giving what to. I like hunting rifles, while others like combat pistols or varmint rifles or shotguns. I wouldn't worry about the caliber if they are into hunting and shooting. If they are a once a year hunter or shooter maybe 270, or 3006 is the best choice.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 1 hand me down and one sprta hand me down. The first is a pre-64 Model 70 Westerner in .264 Win mag. I love this gun and took it and shot 1 cow elk with it. After that it was retaired for safe keeping. The second was a gift from my parents and grandparents for my first rifle. It was a 25-06 Browning Gold Medalion Sporter. My grandpa had used it for a few years then my parents bought it for me at a cheap price as part of the gift from my Grandpa. The 25-06 is a perfect all-around choice for a beginner.

Something to think about, and this why my Dad chose the 25-06 for me is shooting fundementals. He wanted to instill in me that bullet placement means everything in shooting. With the 25 I had to shoot for the heart/lungs area of big game. In doing so I dropped 6 Muley's, 5 elk including 2 6x6 bulls, and 1 B&C Bull Moose. All were 1 shot kills.

Now I carry a 7STW(obviously) as my all arounder for all North American game with a .243 as a back up that will be handed down to my now 4 year old daughter.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I amnot a fan of any of these carts. but they will be around for along while & get the job done;.308, .30-06 & .270.
Any handgun in .22lr is a good bet. Again, not my favorite, but practical. A good 4" .357 is the next step up. Semi-autos are for people who shoot often, if your kids don't stay w/ the rev.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

Check out the latest issue of Rifle magazine -- Ross Seyfried has an article on how to adapt a youngster to a .30-06 without flinching, and John Barsness has an excellent piece on "recoilless deer rifles" (light kickers from .250 Savage through 6.5x55 up to .300 Savage and .308 Win.).

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote